PDA

View Full Version : New front wheel cylinders

Xon
05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Anybody try these these from summit18484

lld
05-04-2018, 09:27 AM
I haven't tried them. Sometimes, these replacement wheel cylinders will fit but the brake hose connection is different and/or the bleed screw is different. That was my experience with another supplier. If you do buy them, please let us know how they compare to original and how everything works out. I ended up having my original wheel cylinders resleeved by White Post Restorations.

Larry

Joseph Stebbins
05-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Did you use bronze or Stainless sleeves?

lld
05-04-2018, 06:16 PM
White Post resleeves in brass. However, I have never had a wear issue with their resleeving. One of my cars has 18 years since resleeving and the other has 10 years. In addition, they give a lifetime warranty.

On one of my Corvette restorations, I used a firm that releeved in stainless. The stainless worked out fine as well.

Larry

Don Henschel
06-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Why is there a concern about Stainless? Brass works very well and lasts. I ran into some re-sleeved years ago and they worked. Have you ever tried working with stainless? Brass is a walk in the park in comparison. I just replaced the original cylinders in my 1950 Mercury due to rust when they finally started to leak last year and due to procrastination in ordering NOS I ended up with China in the front and Italy in the rear. The hoses fit including the mounting bolts but the bleeder needed a metric wrench! If the cast iron lasted this long brass will outlast me. With brass after enlarging the cylinder a piece of brass stock can be pressed in and machined out using a lathe or small milling machine. Heck even pressing in steel would work as well.