PDA

View Full Version : Havana Cuba Mk 2

oagusti
03-07-2018, 04:31 PM
I have posted before some years ago. Retired since then and life changed.

My dad purchased a 1956 or 57 MK 2 in Cuba back in 57. I was 8 years old and remember the car well. The car was an AC car as I remember the 4 circular vents in ceiling. The color of the car was kind of a pearl light blue with 2 tone blue interior. Remember the car used to run hot in the hot Cuban climate and AC did not work so well. Also remember the motor detonating (pinging) as the I suspect the octane of the gasoline probably not good.

Remember going to an oil change garage and the mechanic used to take the crankcase oil, fill a spray gun and spray the under carriage heavily. so heavy the it used to drip for several days. Remember in Cuba, the automobiles and in constant and near salt spray from the ocean.

We left Cuba in June 1961, as all my parents had was nationalized. Another conversation. The car was parked starting sometime in early 1960 as my dad was concerned that it would broadcast wealth and get my him in trouble with the revolutionary leaders. Gusanos (worms) as Castro used to call my family and anyone with any wealth. My dad bought a 4 door Chevrolet sedan and that became the family car.

The car was parked in my dear uncles garage under the house. Not prepared just parked, left and the door closed. My dear uncle died in 1984 and the house went to the government.

Wonder what happened to the car???

jdsnoddy
03-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Oscar:
Welcome. I looked through our history and the most likely car is: C56L3445. Unfortunately, no further info is available since it was shipped. Thanks for sharing. Juan

oagusti
03-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Has the car been re registered?

jdsnoddy
03-09-2018, 03:23 PM
Has the car been re registered?

You might inquire through the Havana DMV or through the Havana US Embassy... Good luck.

Jeff Smith
04-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Hello: Thanks for your very interesting post. I thought it was revealing that the car ran hot with the factory AC. I remember my Dad had a gas station in Oklahoma when I was a kid and cars from the 50's and early 60's that had factory air would pull into the station with the radiator boiling over. I don't think that fifties and early sixties cars had cooling systems that were up to the task of adding the heat load of an air conditioner. Most of them didn't have fan shrouds so they ran hot when idling around town with the AC on. It's a shame your family had to give the car up. Perhaps it is one of the old cars running around Cuba with a diesel engine in it now. Jeff Smith

oagusti
04-17-2018, 06:01 PM
The car is probably in Russia...... Last time I saw it was in my uncles garage under his house. My uncle died in 1882 and the house and all the contents went to the state.

linkluver
08-04-2018, 02:21 PM
The car is probably in Russia...... Last time I saw it was in my uncles garage under his house. My uncle died in 1882 and the house and all the contents went to the state.

Hi. very interesting story! A real shame about the situation, but I'm betting you are happy you got to leave the island?