PDA

View Full Version : Mark II Members, Help.

oldcrow
02-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Looking at all the ads on various sites, for the Mark II that fits my search, I am looking at one located in St. Louis, Mo.
High Priced at 129,000. https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6067-1956-lincoln-continental-mkii-two-door/

I would greatly appreciate any feedback that Members can give me by looking at the pictures listed on the site listed above.
The vin # C56C2303 I have read the HISTORICAL INFORMATION Listed on site.

I would also welcome any comments on the asking Price.

I have noticed that the rear seat cover does need re-fitted.
I will be receiving pictures of the undercarriage Etc. which I have requested.

Thanks
OldCrow

Joseph Stebbins
02-26-2018, 06:44 PM
On the surface I would say that this is NOT a 129,000.00 car. The motor is painted incorrectly, the interior has incorrect bolsters and looks to have be done by an amature as it has not been steamed in, Jack Bag and tie down are missing, trunk carpet not well installed, Plug wires, solenoid, ballast resistor are wrong, Wrong battery and hold down bolts and nuts, Wrong hose clamps, brake line from MC, Wrong voltage regulator color, no star nut on the PS pump, No label or green tag on radiator, wrong heater control valves, Garnish screws should be painted to match leather, door catches should be chromed not polished - thats the quick list I am sure others can chime in. Buying a Restorers Guide is a must if you want to go for that kind of money...

oldcrow
02-26-2018, 08:49 PM
Hello Joe,
Thanks for the fast reply.
I appreciate your input on this Mark II, as I have no experience with what to look for in a better then average car.
I do own a 58 Ford Sunliner, that has taken all 4- AACA awards. Body off restoration, and would like to find a Mark II in near condition.
My preference is Dark red ext./red/white Int. or Black ext./red/white int. so that narrows my chances quite a bit in finding one.
I did think it was over priced, and the reason I am asking opinions from members like you.
Any help in finding a nice Mark II would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for your input.
oldcrow (Chuck)
western Pa.

jdsnoddy
02-27-2018, 06:09 AM
On the surface I would say that this is NOT a 129,000.00 car.
I agree. To me it looks as if it could be a $59,000 car plus or minus 10 percent. That's just my humble opinion.

Above $60,000, your talking about a "no excuses" car. When you double that price, it should be flawless from 15 feet. IMHO. John

lincoln mark
02-27-2018, 07:59 AM
John nailed it, $60,000 car, maybe $65,000. I am always concerned when I see those kind of fancy pictures. The kind that look matted or glossy, I am sure the professional photographers have a name for it.

lld
02-27-2018, 09:30 AM
I agree with all the comments about what's wrong. Based on my recent costs in terms of paint, body work and chrome, I think the car might be worth more than than the estimated prices if the body, paint, underside, mechanicals, and chrome are excellent. Of course, only a detailed inspection (not photos) can determine the real condition of the car.

Most of the items that are wrong (with the exception of the engine block color) are relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. Body (fit, rust), paint and chrome issues (don't ask how I know) are much more expensive to fix.

If you look at the posts by Walt Johnsen on the costs to restore a Mark II, you will see the body, paint, and chrome costs are huge on a concours type of restoration on this, very large car. I can verify that Walt's description is, unfortunately for me, quite accurate.

Of course, if you are looking for a driver quality car, then you can find a Mark II that is quite suitable for much less money.

Larry

Joseph Stebbins
02-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Larry makes some excellent points and to expand on it you really need to consider why you want the car. Concours cars are beautiful museum quality works of patience and require much more of you than an very good quality car. If you want to drive it and take it out on weekend trips like many of us do than you may want to look for a #2 or even a very nice #3. The costs for going from #2 to #1 are steep and may limit your ability to enjoy the car the way you want to...

oldcrow
02-27-2018, 07:30 PM
I would like to Thank everyone for your comments concerning this Mark II.
I did think the price was much to high for what I saw in the pictures.
Guess I will just keep looking for that special Mark II.
Thanks Again
oldcrow.