PDA

View Full Version : New Member w/questions

MISSING
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey, my name's Lincoln Powell, I bought a project 56 Mark II about 5 years ago...or so...I've actually been trying to sell it for a while, but have been having second thoughts. With the inquiries I have been getting I've been trying to find out new info. My VIN on the title is C567983, but I was never able to find the door plate. I just confirmed the VIN from the frame in the engine compartment. One of the guys who inquired told me that the VIN had to be 8 digits, unless it was a preproduction car. This actually kinda makes sense as when I bought the car I was told that the previous owner had been a Ford engineer who had worked on the Mark II's, and had started to restore the car before passing away(I think) Any info would be appreciated.

Barry Wolk
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Cool find. That is one of the dozen or so pre-production cars. I'll look up what I can find on it.

Keep it and drive it.

Barry Wolk
06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
It came with a Dark Gray Iridescent paint job, one of my favorites. It had Medium Gray nylon biscuits. Deep Gray leather bolsters and Deep Gray welts. It did not have air conditioning. However, I am curious if it has the air intakes on the rear fenders.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/ttiwwop-1.gif

Pat Marshall
06-02-2010, 04:52 PM
I believe that 983 should have a 1955 Engine and Transmission.

Barry Wolk
06-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Nope, only #1000 and #999 had '55 motors. Interestingly, #999 was made after #1000.

MISSING
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone, the car has no A/C, no A/C vents on the rear panel. Not sure about powertrain, your guess is better than mine. It's still grey, worn through in spots from a tarp, with dark grey seats. It's a full project car, seen a lot worse, but it needs a lot of work. Apparently the engine was rebuilt, and the undercarriage looks pretty decent. Floors are 100% solid. There are a few body issues, did these cars have a layer of filler? On the roof there is about a salad plate size area that has depth of a mm or two that is rusty where this "filler" cracked out. There are two other spots where there is visible cracking. Go to http://1956continentalmarkii.shutterfly.com/26 to see pics. Does the fact this is preproduction make this car more desireable/collectable? Thanks again

Barry Wolk
06-02-2010, 05:11 PM
You've touched on one of my favorite subjects. A Mark II is not rare. With 3,013 or so made and 1,800 or so extant, it's not rare like a Bugatti, but it's not common, either.

Some people affix value by who's DNA was left on the seat. I, for one, only find that a talking point, not a value point. It's great to have some history, but not important, IMO.

However, there are so few of the 12 pre-production cars out there that it's scarcity may somewhat affect its value.

I hope you restore it as original. Leon Flagg has that combination and it's stunning.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/Krasl%20cars/IMG_3430.jpg

Nick DeSpirito
06-02-2010, 05:15 PM
That is one very cool find with such a low VIN. You've got your work cut out for you though. Anything we can do to help you along the restoration process, just ask.

Good luck with it! :)

MISSING
06-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Any info on filler? Was there body damage at some point? Or was a layer of filler normal?

Barry Wolk
06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Lead was used extensively. I've read factory letters about the poor quality of the delivered bodies from Mitchell. Fillers are common, too. If you're doing a new paint job a skim coat would be required in most cases, anyway.

Shelly Harris
06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry to be the guy to splash cold water in your face, but Are you prepared to put heaps of $ (like $30K) into the project and become Jack's best customer --- Can you accept the fact that you'll probably never get all your money back. If not, I'd forget the project and part it out. Parting it out would probably be a decent profit on whatever you paid for it 5 years ago.

On the other hand, if you're doing it for the pleasure of the project.. like your side interest or hobby, and you love the car, then the money might be well spent---- go for it. I have several friends that spend thousands of dollars every year following a golf ball around the course and have nothing to show for it except a backache.

Stank-67-98
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
$30k on this car will get u driver...and YOU will have to do alot of the work and love doing it!.....but like Shelly said u can spend that time and $ chasing a ball and pretend u had a lot of fun doing it with nothing to see for your effort at the end of the day. By the way Jack will treat u real good too. :-$

crystal59
06-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Jack was invaluable to me in my restoration of a Mark II. I telephoned him all the time and he was able to tell me what I needed when my mechanic was not sure. For instance when I could not get any heat, Jack said valve in drivers kick panel so I bought the valve from Jack of course,, told the mechanic where it was and presto heat. Jack is a good guy in my books. Also your choice, but I saw the photographs of your Mark II and sad to think of that potential as a parts car. When done I think the Mark II is the most beautiful car in the world. Although as Barry says there are still about 1800, that will not last forever and is a terrific investment that you can drive around in knowing that unless you go to a collectors car show, you are not likely to see another in your day to day travels. I was three delightful years getting the Mark II to my satisfaction. Gary

Shelly Harris
06-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Let me be clear so no one mis-interprets what I wrote... I didn't mean to suggest anything negative about Jack. Gary's praise for Jack is typical. Mark II owners are fortunate to have him as a source of parts and information for our cars.

Stank-67-98
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I have had Jack supply me with most parts for 3 frame off MK II restorations, Will recommend his shop anytime...........still costs alot of $, there is no short cut for the best.

crystal59
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
If you want some idea of what I am talking about, read Shelly and Barrys post in " what car did you see today" and the message is you will not believe the attention and admiration the Mark II generates on a daily basis. I was born and raised in British Columbia and loved classic cars all my life. I never saw a Mark II in person until I bought one, so of the 1800 left, there must be a big number of them in car museums, car collections or under wraps somewhere as you just do not see them on the road. Gary

Doc
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Lincoln (come on, you got to keep a Mark II with that name) - I would tend to agree with most everything in the previous posts. Unless your car has some truly distinctive prototype features, I doubt that its pre-production status would add much to its financial value. I think the relative consistency in the Mark II during its brief production run tends to make the sequence of production more of a curiousity than a really significant factor (except, perhaps, to the true fanatics like those of us on the Forum).

Obviously the cost to restore the car is totally a function of the level to which you aspire. $30,000 might make it an acceptable driver, but you could also easily spend that much on paint and body work alone, judging from the photos, if you want a 100 point, "concours-quality" car when you're done. And, frankly, there's little chance of making a profit if you do a 100 point restoration and were then to sell it.

And I have to add my appreciation for all that Jack Rosen has done for me in my efforts to restore and maintain our car. IMO, these cars would essentially go from expensive to impossible to restore without Jack's efforts to keep a reasonable supply of parts available.

MISSING
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks again for all responses. As I had said, I'm in the process of selling, as I realized it's a big project, and having moved to Vancouver BC, shop space is out of the question. Originally I had intended to make a resto rod out of it...sorry I know that may not be cool with some of you....but if the deal I have in the works falls through, I may go back to that plan...sorry again...but a half-assed resto is pointless and a high end resto is not a financially viable option either. Check this out, purists may not want to look...
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/featuredvehicles/1005rc_1957_lincoln_continental_mark_ii/index.html

Barry Wolk
06-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, we've seen that thing before.

Pat Marshall
06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
OMG! x 2

linmk2
06-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Welcome. While you do appear to have a handful of work to do, the good news, the people on this forum will sure try to offer the best advice. Like Barry stated, the color is outstanding.

Don Henschel
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, we've seen that thing before.

I think a "half-assed resto" would be better than a resto rod. If you have to, just pick at it as you can afford. Thats what I have been doing for a long time, but now I have a much better job and with the help of this forum I think I will end up with a very fine example. Shop around with the help of the web and like others here, take it apart very carefully with lots of pictures taken and you might be surprised what you can do yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for help as we are all in the same boat with these cars and you will receive alot of valuable info from here. Like Gary, I never saw one other than in pictures until I bought mine. It has created a fair bit of frustration and stress for me in the past when I had a lower income but the attention and comments I receive motivates me alot.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!