PDA

View Full Version : New member with a question

cegaither
06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Good day all. I'm new to this site and greatly appreciate the expertise and enthusiasm of its members. I'm in the process of purchasing a Mark II, but had a few questions. The VIN is C56D2662. The car is currently painted gray and has a black and white interior. Is this the correct color combination? Also, the owner says itís a '56, but I believe it is a '57 because the A/C vents are not located on the rear quarter panels. Any help on this purchase would be extremely helpful. Thanks again!

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the site.

The "nostrils" were discontinued long before the '57 model came out. They changed the body to bring in fresh air from the front of the car. Your serial number has a "D" telling me it was made in February of 1956, making it an early '56.

Look your car up in the data base for further information. Scratch the paint off the engine block on the driver's side of the distributor next to the engine casting. There is a stamped engine number there. We'd like to add that to the data base.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=470

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 05:55 PM
The car you are looking at was a Canadian export that made its way back to the States. It was originally Dark Red with Medium Gray nylon biscuits and Deep Gray broadcloth bolsters and Medium Gray welts. Sounds pretty attractive.

Our data base says that you car did NOT have air conditioning so it would not have had nostrils under any circumstances.

cegaither
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
This vehicle is equipped with A/C. Perhaps this was added some time later. Thanks again guys. I love these cars; however, my knowledge is quite limited. There’s a huge learning curve here. I hope to have the engine number soon. Thanks again.

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Is it an underdash unit? Where does the air come out? If it comes out of ducts in the ceiling you might have given us an incorrect serial number.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/ttiwwop-1.gif

cegaither
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
My mistake. There is an assembly under the dash, which houses the temperature and blower levers. I assumed that assembly was the AC. There are no vents in the ceiling of the car.

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
That is simply the heating and cooling controls. If you don't have ceiling vents you don't have factory air. Sounds like it doesn't have air at all.

crystal59
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
The "nostrils" were discontinued long before the '57 model came out. They changed the body to bring in fresh air from the front of the car. Your serial number has a "D" telling me it was made in February of 1956, making it an early '56.

Hi Barry. As a side note, were all "D" cars made in February of 1956. Thanks. Gary

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Your serial number has a "D" telling me it was made in February of 1956, making it an early '56.

From my first response. What didn't you understand?

crystal59
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
From my first response. What didn't you understand?

I was just wondering if all "D" cars were made within the month of February but I take it that that should be obvious so sorry about that as still trying to figure out what the codes mean. When I go to the list I get the codes for colour and interior but still do not know what to match it up with so when someone asks about a vehicle and you come back with it means this exterior colour and this interior colour, I am sorry to say at a loss as to what the codes mean. As a direct example when I look up C5601614 I do not know where to match up 2 for exterior and 1A1A for interior so need your direction. Bet I am not alone especially since new members seem to ask the same question?Thanks. Gary

Chuck Lutz
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Gary, If you see the codes in the Registry you can then look in the Restorer's Guide and there's a whole section on decoding that will help. Let me know if you need any help with it.

Ian Cowie
06-01-2010, 09:35 PM
If you do not have paper manuals, you should download a couple from the Documents Library.

Problems With Your Mark II? .... Ask Buddy - The Continental Mark II Restorers Guide (http://www.markiiforum.com/showpost.php?p=7522&postcount=1)
The VIN and Body Specif. codes are explained on pages 34 thru 41. Please be aware that this document was written 35 years ago in 1975. There are discrepancies and in some cases the information is just wrong or incomplete or inaccurate. It is NOT the last word but is very useful.

The Technical Data Manual (http://www.markiiforum.com/showpost.php?p=6553&postcount=1)
This is broken down into 18 chapters. The chapter that deals with the codes is chapter 16 - Body.
As explained in Shelly's post, these are PDF documents encased in a RAR file (like Zip only better!).

Barry Wolk
06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
The information you requested was added to the database page, Gary.

crystal59
06-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks gentlemen. I did not know that. It may be helpful to refer people specifically to pages 34 and 35 of the Restorers Guide as that is specific and easy to read. Starting at page 1 can be a bit overwhelming especially for people like me who love the Mark II but have little or no mechanical ability. Sometimes when you fellows get deep into a mechanical subject like distributor, carb there are some of us namely me who read in awe not understanding what you are talking about but drinking it in and wishing we had the ability. Thanks again. I can now read the codes. Gary

cegaither
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
The car is located out of state so I haven't yet had a chance to personally inspect the car. According to the owner, the engine casting number is ECU-C and the engine number is 809. Not sure if the engine number is correct as I thought these were four gigit numbers. Thoughts?

Chuck Lutz
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
It could be 3 digits but not sure you have the right number. There are a series of letter/number in the casting that sit "proud" of the block starting with ECU etc. The numbers for the engine are stamped in close to the ECU number.
This is the best photo I have as an example. You can just make out the 1305 stamping at a 90 deg angle from the ECU9015A number.

cegaither
06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks! I'll have him check again.

Barry Wolk
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
The car is located out of state so I haven't yet had a chance to personally inspect the car. According to the owner, the engine casting number is ECU-C and the engine number is 809. Not sure if the engine number is correct as I thought these were four gigit numbers. Thoughts?

If the serial number is 1791, it's probably the correct engine.

Chuck Lutz
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
If the serial number is 1791, it's probably the correct engine.

He'd indicated the VIN was D2662 earlier. That's why I don't think it is the correct number.

linmk2
06-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Welcome to all the fun. Looking forward to seeing some photos.