PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: Body Style

markmark
02-03-2017, 05:44 AM
I thought the production 1956-1957 Continental Mark II came in a single body style, but I've seen several references to two body styles.

For example, Hagerty classic car insurance. Select make "Continental" and model "Mark II" and then they offer this choice:

Body Style
2dr Coupe
2dr Hardtop
They're not the only ones. Why this distinction?

Peter

Sean Rollins
02-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Possibly to aid in searching results catching the car.

jdsnoddy
02-03-2017, 01:47 PM
This is a question which could be best answered by Hagerty...

Barry Wolk
03-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Technically, it's a "Sport Coupe" according to the Production Order for each car.

Also, technically, the Continental Division did do a public offering of a convertible in partnership with Derham. They were sent 3 convertible top assemblies for a 1957 Ford, but used only the one in the white show car. Somewhere I have the ad that ran showing Derham offering a factory-authorized convertible for $18,000. If I understand the term "hard top" to mean a car with a "B" pillar then they are in error. They probably all make the same error because they are all using the same software.

I have a friend there I can ask.

Barry Wolk
03-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Well, as early as tomorrow the Mark II will only have one choice, "Sport Coupe". They were thoroughly convinced by my copy of the Production Order, using that verbiage.

Joseph Stebbins
03-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Looking on the production order we have seen many AC cars and Front Bumper with License Plates but does anyone have an original Continental Division "Foot Pump?"

markmark
03-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Thanks, Barry! When I was calling around for insurance on our Mark II, the Hagerty person I talked to wasn't able to answer my question about two body styles. Your production order is pretty good evidence there was one body style.

Barry Wolk
03-23-2017, 08:29 AM
That's pretty much what they told me. So many of the terms on cars are skewed that they needed paperwork to prove it to them. I think it all went downhill when people started calling 4-door cars Coupes.