PDA

View Full Version : 2251 new member from south dakota

james walden
05-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I bought my first mark 11 brand new in 1956 in Sioux Falls, S.D. and my wife and I traveled all over calling on military bases as a salesman. I always regretted selling it, and I have just recently acquired a beautiful mark 11 in the same burgundy color as the original. It was a california car and has only 64000 miles and is beutifully restored. I have already won Best of Show at a recent show with over a hundred entries. I am looking forward to chatting with other owners and getting some questions answered regarding upkeep. I will provide a vin # and pictures in the near future. My name is Jim Walden.

Barry Wolk
05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Well Jim, I was 4 when you bought your car. Welcome to the site.

Shelly Harris
05-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Great to have you on board Jim... How did you find us? I'm always interested in that so I know what avenues to exploit in getting new members.

Nick DeSpirito
05-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Welcome Jim. I would love to see pictures of your car.

Chuck Lutz
05-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Jim, Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to seeing your car.

linmk2
05-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome. Hope your second time around with a Mark II was as happy as the first.

Phil Gevertz
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
James, can you write about your experience buying a new Mark II in 1956?

Barry Wolk
05-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Did you have to pass a "social standing" test?:rolleyes:

crystal59
05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Was it a DSO?.Gary

Mad Scientist
05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
I wonder if your original car is still being used?:)

james walden
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your welcoming notes. The vin #on my 1956 mark11 is C56C2251. I found this forum by typing in 1956 mark 11 on google and following up on threads that led me to this site.

I am attaching pictures of the car. The ones taken in my garage have a mint Delorean under the car cover on one side and a custom built in Florida, Destiny, on the other side, so you can see I love special interest cars. I did not have to pass any social standing requirements when I bought my first mark 11 in 1956. I think the dealer was worried he'd never be able to sell a $10,000.00 car in south dakota, so, believe me, I had no trouble qualifying !

If you are keeping up on the current values of the Mark 11, I have $40,000.00 invested which included the shipping in an enclosed trailer and according to the Old Car Value Guide I am pretty much right on the money for a car in the condition mine is, at least I hope so.I am also attaching some pictures of my original car, one has a picture of my wife of 56 years as a young newly-married, another has my long gone stepfather leaning on the fender. You may be able to make out the liscence plate showing 1957. Hope the pictures come through okay.

Ian Cowie
05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Quick scan of the database lists only one entry for a car sold in Sioux Falls:
C56L3439 D22 1F6M AC-PLD-PIP-DSO Kershner, C. M. Cumming Motor Company Sioux Falls SD.
Is that the same dealer you bought your car from as did Mr. C.M. Kershner?

Roger Zimmermann
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Nice car and nice color (I love red cars...) I noticed that your Mar II has an electric wiper motor...

Barry Wolk
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I did not have to pass any social standing requirements when I bought my first mark 11 in 1956. I think the dealer was worried he'd never be able to sell a $10,000.00 car in south dakota, so, believe me, I had no trouble qualifying !

Thank you. That finally puts to rest the BS story about "qualifying" for the Mark II. We've seen it written in WCF's own hand and now from an original purchaser. That should be sufficient for the sensible thinkers.

Please, please, lets hear no more about this subject as the contention makes us look guilty by association.

depmike38
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Very nice cars James. In the picture of the trunk opening I can see a flex hose running to either side of the trunk. What do they do?

Shelly Harris
05-11-2010, 09:38 AM
What is the little box under the hood on the driver's side next to the air intake tubing. Possibly an electric gas pump?

Barry Wolk
05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Very nice cars James. In the picture of the trunk opening I can see a flex hose running to either side of the trunk. What do they do?

I believe that those are the fresh air intakes that hook up to the tubes that run through the rocker panels. On cars with nostrils the tubes would hook up to them.

That box looks like an electrically operated solenoid, but I can't figure out what it's for.

james walden
05-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I believe the flex hoses in the trunk are fresh air intakes. When I first got the car it had a small electric fuel pump installed under the hood and it was quite noisy when it started up. I had it disconnected and replaced with a rotary fuel pump back by the gas tank and it is quiet and works perfect. I believe the old fuel pump is the box you questioned.It's really just a spare pump now and I'll have it taken off soon.

SLK
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Mike, your Mark has Air Conditioning correct? Do you not have these hoses that bring the fresh air from your nostrils to the AC unit in the trunk?:confused:

Ian Cowie
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
The hoses are normally covered by a couple of flaps. If you have never pulled those flaps out, you might never have seen those hoses in your trunk even though they have been there for 54 years!

depmike38
05-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I guess mine are hidden by the flaps you mentioned Ian as I've never seen them. I'll have to look. They may be a bit shorter on the air cars and not go out quite so far into the trunk.

Mad Scientist
05-11-2010, 10:55 PM
The little box on the fender is definitely an add on fuel pump I have one like it on my MG and yes it can be noisy. I would guess that the original pump died and that was put on as a quick fix. Or as was mentioned in a previous thread, on cars that sit unused for long periods of time an electric fuel pump was added to aid in starting. The electric pump is used to refill the carburetor before cranking the engine.

The hoses in the trunk are to bring fresh air into the AC unit. That is of course you remember to turn the knob on the rear deck to open their shutoff valves.

However it would appear that the carpeted panels that cover them are missing.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/mscientist/MKII%20model/IMG_1110.jpg

Barry Wolk
05-11-2010, 11:07 PM
The T-pot carb has a particularly silly design that leaves the float bowl open to atmosphere, quickly evaporating anything in the small reserve. The tech from Pony said that after about 4 days the float chamber is empty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, here. If you allow the fuel to evaporate quickly the float will drop, opening the needle valve, allowing fluid (gasoline) to seek its own level, draining the entire float chamber and most of the output pipe from the fuel pump. Do I understand that correctly, or is there a check valve in the carb?

Roger Zimmermann
05-12-2010, 04:59 AM
The T-pot carb has a particularly silly design that leaves the float bowl open to atmosphere, quickly evaporating anything in the small reserve. The tech from Pony said that after about 4 days the float chamber is empty.

Correct me if I'm wrong, here. If you allow the fuel to evaporate quickly the float will drop, opening the needle valve, allowing fluid (gasoline) to seek its own level, draining the entire float chamber and most of the output pipe from the fuel pump. Do I understand that correctly, or is there a check valve in the carb?

The carter carbs I have in my 3 Cads has the same characteristic: after one week, the bowl is empty.
As the needle valve is placed higher than the fluid level, the gasoline cannot be drained through this opening. It just evaporate.

Ian Cowie
06-22-2010, 04:49 PM
If you don't mind, I have taken the liberty of retouching those 3 old photos ...

Barry Wolk
06-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Very cool! Looks like a '57 plate.

depmike38
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Very neat Ian.

james walden
06-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you, Ian, for touching up the pictures I took of my first Mark 11 in 1957They are actually clearer than my origionals. I know my wife will be pleased to see herself looking so youthful once again. I check the Forum daily and I truly enjoy reading the correspondence between the members and the very helpful information I have gained regarding the maintenance on my present Mark 11.

Barry Wolk
06-23-2010, 11:42 AM
You must have been the big fish in the small pond in your neighborhood as most Mark IIs were parked at mansions.

Glad you kept yours.