PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Alaska

Scott Hamann
07-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Proud new owner of 3015. Found it under a tree where it has been parked since 1978. I have always had a passion for old cars and have owned many over the years and still have some fun ones. I have always wanted an older Lincoln but never dreamed it would be a 56 Continental Mark II. Was just in the right place at the right time and was able to buy it. The glass is perfect and the body is very solid other than the rockers under the doors. No dents or dings but needs paint badly. Interior is all there but needs redone. Sadly someone over the years had stole the Grill and Headlight Bezels but pretty complete other than that. The previous owner had pulled the Motor and has been totally rebuilt and is still on the engine stand ready to go back in. I hope to have it back on the road this next spring. I will appreciate any help in obtaining parts and advice along the way. I own a Metal Fabrication shop so the rockers will be no problem and the grill should not pose much of a challenge to make something at least close if I cant source one.

Bob Barger
07-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Welcome aboard, you must work quick if you plan to have it on the road by Spring. The grill and headlight bezels could be a challenge, check the vendor section of the forum for suppliers. Post some pictures when you can.

Joseph Stebbins
07-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Welcome aboard -

Here is part of a front grille on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56-57-Lincoln-Continental-Mark-II-Mark-2-Original-Grille-Unrestored-Oem-Left-/221792392163?hash=item33a3db53e3&vxp=mtr

Bob is right - start now - hopefully you have the rocker panel chrome trim and the original keys!

Good luck and ask all the questions you want we love them and pictures too!

Mark II Seeker
07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the purchase of a Mark II.

It sounds like you have a good challenge ahead of you. Keep us posted (with pictures too) on your progress.

Scott Hamann
07-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Thanks and the more I think about it the more I am coming to the realization that its just not going top get done for this next season. Here are a few pictures as attachments

Bob Barger
07-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Before you install the engine, get the correct color paint and repaint it while it is easy.

Joseph Stebbins
07-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Before you install the engine, get the correct color paint and repaint it while it is easy.

I'd change the carb, distributor and the PS pump (as well as the PS box) while you have it on the bench too. All things that were done in 1957 by dealers with 56 cars on the lot. You can keep the originals in a box if you want.

Sean Rollins
07-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Just be careful of having a severe attack of "while im at it" disease. Very simple to catch , as many of us on the forum have discovered. ;)

Pat Marshall
07-31-2015, 01:15 PM
I have many parts available ranging from driver quality to NOS in original factory boxes. I have accumulated them for 30 years in anticipation of restoring two cars which never happened and at 74 I now know it won't!

Contact me at continentalmarkii@yahoo.com with your want list.

linmk2
08-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Welcome. Looking forward to your progress reports on your restoration efforts. Take a lot of photos.