PDA

View Full Version : New member from Germany

Peter Baumgardt
04-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi,
my name is Peter Baumgardt, I'm an othopedic surgeon from Ratingen, Germany, almost retired. I am looking for a Mark II for a long time, the very few European offers have always plenty of irregularities like wrong colors or interiors and even more often wrong engines. I already learned a lot by reading your posts and am looking forward to improving my knowledge. One day I'll come to the States and buy my dreamcar.
Sincerely
Peter
By the way: I just got an offer of a Mark II with the VIN C56I3279 and the Body Specification 56C-204-7-13-56. The VIN is clear (July 56) but what does the specif mean? I would describe the pictures as: 01-1B6N

Nick DeSpirito
04-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Welcome Peter. Here is a link to the information the Mark II Forum has on 3279

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=3480&highlight=3279

Keith W Colonna
04-14-2015, 11:46 PM
Greetings Dr. Baumgardt.
Welcome to the MKII Forum and your recognition of the MKII as a world class collector car.
I lived in Muenchen for 10 years...my Father in Law was also an orthopedic surgeon in Hamburg. I work for a German company, HERISTO and will be there this Fall in Koeln for the ANUGA messe. I am also a member of the Heinkel Club Deutschland. It won't be too hard for you to find a good MKII...I've got four! It took me 15 years though to acquire my collection. The support group for parts and technical expertise is strong. You are in the right place.

Peter Baumgardt
04-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Greetings Dr. Baumgardt.
Welcome to the MKII Forum and your recognition of the MKII as a world class collector car.
I lived in Muenchen for 10 years...my Father in Law was also an orthopedic surgeon in Hamburg. I work for a German company, HERISTO and will be there this Fall in Koeln for the ANUGA messe. I am also a member of the Heinkel Club Deutschland. It won't be too hard for you to find a good MKII...I've got four! It took me 15 years though to acquire my collection. The support group for parts and technical expertise is strong. You are in the right place.
Thank you, Keith,
but finding a good MKII in Europe is tough. I'm afraid it will take me 15 years as well to find just one with matching numbers, i. e.: the data plate serial numbers and the body specification code are really matching to the car, which should have the right engine number (982 less than the vin).
All the offers I saw in the last year did not show matching numbers or were inconsistent or incomplete.
Tomorrow the Techno Classica in Essen begins, Europes biggest show for classic and vintage cars. I'll be there on Saturday, maybe I'll be lucky.
Peter

Pat Marshall
04-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

As the Forum Historian I wl be very appreciative if whenever you see a Mark II if you would tell us the VIN and send us a photo.

Since you have already seen some Mark II's I'm wondering if you have their VIN's too?

Thank you and good luck in your search!

VidyBidneth
04-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Greetings Dr. Baumgardt.

Why wouldn't you locate a Mark II that meets your criteria here in the US where 90 + % of them are and have it shipped to Germany?

Sean Rollins
04-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Or Canada?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1956-lincoln-continental-mark-ii-hardtop/1064478364?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

VidyBidneth
04-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Or Canada?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1956-lincoln-continental-mark-ii-hardtop/1064478364?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

When Willie Sutton was asked why he shopped for 56 and 57 Continentals in North America, his answer, "That's where the Mark IIs are."

Keith W Colonna
04-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Hello Peter,
Forum Members William and Sean make very good suggestions....find and buy your MKII here in North America and ship it back. Fly over here on vacation to view it first.
This Forum has links which take you to EBay and to Craig's List which are two excellent sources for cars for sale.
You can also do a Google search for "1956 Lincoln Continental For Sale" and many other sites will appear.
It sounds like the MKII's you found in Europe have been modified. Most of the survivors are original or restored to original. My search took so long because I was shopping for low price original cars to invest and fix up. You will find what you want easily for $35-$65 thousand.

Peter Baumgardt
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Keith, Pat, William, Sean
thank you very much for your advices and tips. Sean, your offer from Lethbridge, AB shows a nice car but without any useful information. In an offer I expect the data plate and the affirmation of the seller that the car conforms to the dataplate. Then we can talk about the car's condition, restoration, mileage etc.
And, my dear friends in the US, in the moment I must pay more than 93 Eurocents for a Dollar (30% more than a year ago). So give me some time. Pat, I have an offer of a German dealer (just 250miles away from my home):

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/lincoln-continental-mark-ii-zustand-2-extrem-selten-völklingen/205918321.html?&lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.makeId=15500&makeModelVariant1.modelId=3&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=Mark+II&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&noec=1&ticket=ST-1462384-sCtoIFLGq079bnWkcrYk-mycas46-3_c01_4201

This is a big link, I hope you can read it. If not, tell me. I'll give you the dates. According to my opinion the color is wrong and the engine
(November 55) can not be a 300hp. And the car is expensive (around $85,000). I am looking forward hearing from you.
Peter

Egenolf
04-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Hallo aus Hannover,

link doesn't work, probably 1798, look here

http://markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=6953

Holger

Peter Baumgardt
04-16-2015, 02:43 PM
Thank you Holger,
I saw that car as well and still think the color and the engine are wrong.
By the way: Do you come to the Techno Classica? I'll be there on Saturday.

Egenolf
04-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Hallo Peter,

please look at your private messages.

Holger

linmk2
04-18-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm a little late welcoming you to the "fold". This forum is by far the most comprehensive regarding the Mark II. I hope you find a great example soon.

Keith W Colonna
04-18-2015, 11:24 PM
I found the link...but had to assign a username and password to give me access to the site. There is an icon in the top bar to choose English language too. On the ad site I found a photo of the dataplate for this car for sale in Germany (attached photo).
The original color was light blue (04). The overspray on the data plate tells me it was repainted before in light blue. It is now a nice medium blue. One of my cars was done the same way....I will keep the medium blue. The interior looks very nice in its original light and medium blue all leather interior (1A1A). I can't figure out what the following letters 1122-3 mean....Pat???
The car doesn't have factory or any AC for that matter. I think they are asking a lot of money for a non AC car.
Again, I say, come to the USA on vacation and buy one here. Place a want ad on the MKII Forum and in the Lincoln Continental Owners Club. You will find your car....shopping is the fun part.

Keith W Colonna
04-18-2015, 11:27 PM
sorry,...here's the photo of the dataplate

Peter Baumgardt
04-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Thank you Keith,
nice color but anyway "wrong". And as far as I understood all that I read about the data-plates, 1122-3 means: built on November, 22th (1955) third car of the day!?!

Pat Marshall
04-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Correctomondo!

See our Registry History!

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=3249&highlight=1798

Peter Baumgardt
04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks Pat,
I prefer the original color 04 Light Blue. I have to attach one correction to the Registry History. The price of 79.900 Euros is VAT included (19%). In the German ad it says "MwSt. nicht ausweisbar" which means VAT is not reportable.

VidyBidneth
04-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks Pat,
I prefer the original color 04 Light Blue. I have to attach one correction to the Registry History. The price of 79.900 Euros is VAT included (19%). In the German ad it says "MwSt. nicht ausweisbar" which means VAT is not reportable.

So every time a classic car is sold it's + 19% ? It's the gov that makes the killing.

When we used to produce programs here for German TV, we normally weren't hit with the VAT. But one network threw it in after the fact. We never recovered it and made slim to none profit on that one.

Our slogan: Your PAL in the US.