PDA

View Full Version : Matt Foley 3324

Matthew Foley
07-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Hello everyone!

My name is Matt Foley and I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Two weeks ago today I became the proud owner of 3324. I fell in love with the Mark II the first time I laid eyes on one, and for many years it has been on my wish list of cars to own. Never did I imagine that wish would come true!

Since purchasing my Mark II and bringing her home I have spent countless hours reading the many posts and reference materials on this fantastic forum. I am amazed by the breadth of knowledge, experience and the passion in what I have read! It feels great to be in your company and the information I have found here has been a HUGE help as I put together my restoration game plan. I have a few immediate questions I will post separately, but in the meantime I want to say a big thank you to those who have made this forum available for those who love the Mark II!

Thank you,

Matt Foley

Joseph Stebbins
07-15-2014, 07:24 AM
Welcome aboard! Post some pics and feel free to ask all the questions you want!

Mark II Seeker
07-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Matt,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the purchase of a Mark II.

I'm sure you will find the members here as helpful as I have.

Joseph Stebbins
07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
I note that Pat is missing the engine number, the full spec code, body tag and carpet nameplate data. We would love to gather that info for the database!

Matt Cashion
07-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Welcome to this great forum--- You already have found how helpfull it's members are.

Pat Marshall
07-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Matt Foley sent me the Body Tag info separately. The auction pictures included the data plate, so I have the complete Trim code. Matt reports that the engine which is painted red doesn't appear to have a number, so it may be a replacement. If so the only thing we don't have is information from the carpet nameplate (if there is one)!

Matthew Foley
07-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome…And thank you for the reminder about the carpet nameplate! Unfortunately the original carpet was replaced at some point, so the original nameplate – personalized or not – is sadly lost to history.

Matt

Pat Marshall
07-17-2014, 08:57 AM
ˇAy, caramba!

linmk2
07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Congrats on your purchase! Looking forward to seeing photos of your car. Welcome aboard!

Pat Marshall
03-12-2015, 08:33 AM
On 3/10/15 I received the below PM from Matt Foley. Because of its relevance to this thread I am posting it here:

I have checked the engine as best as I can with it still in the car and I have not found an engine number in the usual area. Although the engine currently in 3324 is a historically correct Lincoln 368 with Continental head covers, it was rebuilt at some point. I am not sure if the original engine number was ground off at that time, or if it is possible that Continental installed some 368’s without numbering them. Otherwise, I am not sure if the engine has a Continental oil pan because I have not been able to find a good picture of the underside of a 1956 engine with which to compare mine. By the way, I have taken pictures of it that I would be happy to share if you can confirm this. My feeling is the engine currently in 3324 is not the factory original unless it is possible the engine was never numbered.

Pat Marshall
03-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Matt, there is no evidence that (other than the prototypes and cars 1000 and 999) Continental ever installed a 368 engine without a serial number in a new Mark II!

The prototypes had Lincoln engines as did 1000 and 999. 1000 and 999 had production bodies and Lincoln Drive-trains. They were produced to debug the production line-between the Elmer Rhon prototype (9502F) and the first Pre-Production Car (975)

Bob Barger
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Matt, it may be covered by the throttle return spring bracket. remove the bracket and clean of the back of the block and you may find it.