PDA

View Full Version : 2218

arionrjw
03-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Hi, I am Roger Williams from Modesto, Ca. Purchased the car several years ago and it is almost finished. Have always like the Mark ll and found this one in San Jose. Also have a restored 1958 Impala and Jaguar Mark ll.

Looks like a great form for the Mark ll

Joseph Stebbins
03-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy post some pics even if they are in progress. Pat would like it if you could get the Body tag number (by the brake booster on the fire wall) engine number (stamped - not cast on the top of the block by the Dist) and the name, if any, on the carpet name plate.

linmk2
03-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Hey Roger! Glad you joined us. As to other post stated, post some photos when you get a chance.

mastersg
03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
You are going to love the Mark II. They are wonderful cars, have great history, and anywhere you take it, folks will talk your ear off! This forum has any answer for any question you might gin up! So enjoy, and again, welcome!

George C56B1942

arionrjw
03-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The body tag number is 510 AC. I am a little concerned about posting pictures because the car is slightly modified and I see that some of your members do like the Mark ll modified and slam the car and I get my feelings hurt easily LOL

May post some when I get some good pictures.

Roger

Joseph Stebbins
03-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The body tag number is 510 AC. I am a little concerned about posting pictures because the car is slightly modified and I see that some of your members do like the Mark ll modified and slam the car and I get my feelings hurt easily LOL

May post some when I get some good pictures.

Roger

I think that most of us here are pretty easy on the mods - there are a number of purests around but most land somewhere between "LCOC Judged" and "Monster Truck Off-road Modded" :D

Pat Marshall
03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
A lot of member like the customs. At first I wasn't so hot on them, but I have warmed up to them, especially the ones which seem to honor the spirit of the Mark II. There are a couple that are radical but I still think they are well done...and there are others that are just bad.

You can see them in our Gallery - http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=6172

We'd like to add your car to the Gallery.

Roger, there wouldn't be a Gallery for custom IIs if everyone hated them. There will always be the purists on the Forum who might make negative comments. FYI the most photographed Mark II in the country is a custom!

Now, I have a question.

Our records show that in 2010 a Forum Member reported that the car was a convertible conversion and was located in Washington.

Also in 2010 another Forum Member reported: #2218 owned by Lou Zurich in San Jose Cal now Green with Corvette/Firebird motor and in process of being turned into a resto rod asking $19,500.

Would you clarify the recent history of your car, please? (and send some pictures, too)

Here is a link to 2218's updated history in our Registry.
http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=22044#post22044

arionrjw
03-24-2014, 09:30 PM
Pat, Thanks you for the history on 2218. The history I know is that John Montello from San Jose bought the car at Silver Auction for $20000+ in 1997. Shortly after his purchase the engine had major problems. Since he had another Mark ll, which I understand he still owns, he decided to do a restomod on 2218. He had a fabricator install a very low mileage Corvette LT1, had the car painted and some trim removed. He than had another shop install a rack and pinion setup. John said he had $60000+ in the car. John ran into some financial problems and sold the car and it went through several people and know one finished the car. I purchased the car in 2012 thinking it needed some wiring finished up and interior. Since I could not drive the car, but was impressed with the Corvette installation and body work bought the car from Louis Zurich. I than learned that the rack and pinion installation was a disaster. Had to remove and go back to stock. Car is running great now and just needs upholstery. I have all the trim to take the car back to stock on the body, but will use it as is since I like it as is.

I do not know anything about 2218 being considered to be made into a convertible in Washington.

Thanks again for the information

Sean Rollins
03-24-2014, 10:12 PM
I noticed the door handles have been updated. How are they handling the mass of the mark 2 doors? Im thinking that if they are a plastic type handle it would be best to avoid having to pull the door open uphill on a side grade as they are hard enough to handle confidently...
Nice looking color. It's too bad the rack and pinion didn't work out but unless its custom made to allow for the geometry of the suspension its usually darn near undriveable due to bump steer.