PDA

View Full Version : New Member in Connecticut

Cooke
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Just joined up thanks to Barry Wolk who was on the AACA site when I was asking about Cadillac VS Continental.
I am looking for a Continental with factory A/C and in very good condition. Also I would like it to be a dark color no whites or silver or pastels, they are good colors just not for me. I have $20,000 to $30,000 to spend so I hope that would be enough these days for a decent MKII (guess I will find out).
My name is Martin Cooke and I live in Higganum, CT if anyone around here has a MKII that I could look at even if its not for sale that would be great.
My email is martin@abouttimect.com

Doc
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Martin - Welcome to the Forum. Forum member John Pawoll has his car listed for sale and it meets your criteria--it's black with A/C and in very good condition; check the Marketplace thread. However, he's asking $41K which is probably a more realistic figure for a car that meets your specs; $20-30K may not be quite enough for a "very good" car, but should be enough to get you a good project car or driver. Good luck in your quest.

Shelly Harris
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Welcome Cooke;

I hope you find a car meeting your criteria. I'm sure all our members will help. Check out the posts in Marketplace. Seems I remember a couple of nice cars selling for very reasonable prices up in Canada. Enjoy and get involved with the forum.

Barry Wolk
03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Do some homework before you jump on the bandwagon. Your other choice is a nice one, too. However, Caddys are belly button cars while the Mark II is rare, in its own right.

My best advice is to buy the very best you can afford as the only one that wins on a restoration is the next owner, even if you do it yourself.

Next bit of advice is to buy a complete car. While the support is there for salvage parts, there are few NOS parts out there.

Buy a car that's sorted out and used. The very worst thing you can do to these cars is park them. They need to be used, not sit on a pedestal. My car was terrible when I got it. It leaked everything. The more I drove it the better it drove. Properly set up, it's a pleasure.

The Mark II is a pretty contemporary design, mechanically. They can be made fully modern, but that's not a necessity. A Mark II can easily keep up with modern traffic. There are those that think that the true driving experience is on original style bias-ply tires on back roads, but most put radials on their cars for safety dealing with varied road and speed conditions.

Everything depends on what you want out of owning the car. If it's prestige, the Mark II has it. If it's style and grace, that's there, too. If you're looking for an investment, I don't think you'll be hurt. If you're looking for an icon, buy a Mark II.

If you're serious, contact the LCOC to meet members in your area. I'm sure there are a few in your area.

Welcome to the site.

lincoln mark
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Cooke, Ray Bricket has a dark green one that is suppose to be pretty nice. I think he is a member of the forum. If not his friend, Ron Ross is, contact one of these gentlemen to see if Ray is serious about selling his Mark. When I get a chance to visit these old timers, when I am out by Philly, I always see Rons Mark, which is sweet, but never Rays, which is suppose to be just as sweet. Two good, straight up, honest, men. Good Luck, Mark A Maromonte.

John Pawoll
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Martin Cooke,

You might look down through the "for sale" section of the forum and you will find my 56 Mark II for sale. It might be more money than you budget allows, but it is a very complete car. Good luck on your search!

Pete Hoffman (Doc). Thank you for your comments. I guess I owe you ANOTHER cocktail!

John Pawoll

linmk2
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi Martin. Hope you find a Mark to your liking soon.