PDA

View Full Version : New Member J Goldstein, Bayville New York

jgoldstein
03-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi All,
I have been trolling the forum for a number of weeks and have been sapping up the knowledge of very knowledgable owners so that I can proceed with a purchase.

I have admired the Mark II (to me a - piece of Americana and true rolling art) for many years and am now ready to take the plunge - I think. I am currently looking at 1735 and have had it inspected but have not driven it. The car was restored in the mid to late 90's. The car did well with the professional inspection as well as my amateur anal inspection.

I would welcome comments on some of my observations on this 15+ year old restoration by the current owner AC Davenport.

The brakes "grab" significantly and have been serviced - bled etc Dealer says
thats the way they should be????
Seats have patina however the side base bottom of the drivers and
passenger seat has been ripped in a few places

Hood is raised on both side edges (1/4 in)
Replace exhaust with stainless steel system?
R/S Trunk hinge seems to need alignment compared to L/S

Thanks in advance for your help

Jay

Joseph Stebbins
03-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Hi All,
I have been trolling the forum for a number of weeks and have been sapping up the knowledge of very knowledgable owners so that I can proceed with a purchase.

I have admired the Mark II (to me a - piece of Americana and true rolling art) for many years and am now ready to take the plunge - I think. I am currently looking at 1735 and have had it inspected but have not driven it. The car was restored in the mid to late 90's. The car did well with the professional inspection as well as my amateur anal inspection.

I would welcome comments on some of my observations on this 15+ year old restoration by the current owner AC Davenport.

The brakes "grab" significantly and have been serviced - bled etc Dealer says
thats the way they should be????
Seats have patina however the side base bottom of the drivers and
passenger seat has been ripped in a few places

Hood is raised on both side edges (1/4 in)
Replace exhaust with stainless steel system?
R/S Trunk hinge seems to need alignment compared to L/S

Thanks in advance for your help

Jay

Here's my 2 cents (and you get it for free!)

The brakes shouldn't grab perhaps the shoes need to be arched, and any glazed areas ground - also remember they do NOT have self adjusters on them so they may need to be properly adjusted.

If the leather is original that is a plus for many collectors and you may wish to have an upholsterer look at them and give you a price to replace the damaged sections.

Sounds like a case of "Mark II hood" - i.e. the hinges are worn. The rebuild is not difficult but before you pull the hood drill some registration holes with an 1/8 inch bit - Barry posted a tech tip on this - look it up it will save you a lot of time!

Generally speaking the Aluminized Steel system will sound quieter and if you are worried about rust a few carefully placed 1/8" holes will let any condensation drain out of the system.

If the car has scissor hinges they may need to be rebuilt or adjusted. Later torsion bar hinges my just need adjustment.

Others will have more to add I am sure!

Welcome aboard!

linmk2
03-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Nice to have you join us. If you choose to purchase 1735, post some photos.

jgoldstein
03-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Joe,

Thank you for the information

Jay