PDA

View Full Version : 3613 is safe and sound----New Member

mike olguin
01-10-2014, 12:58 AM
I purchased this 1957 MKll in 1988 (original CA car). I had been looking for a 1957 with A/C in either black or white. It turns out I got both, in light of the fact that the car was originally white and had meticulously been repainted in black lacquer sometime in 1958, I believe. In addition to A/C, the car has the automatic headlight dimmer.

Other than the lacquer repaint which is now starting to check, and new correct exhaust system and tires, the car is all original. The carpet(s), dash, steering wheel, upper leather trim and headliner are in excellent condition. The front seat leather (white leather biscuits and bolsters with red piping) is cracked and I am planning to redo the seats in the near term. Fortunately the car has never had any rust whatsoever.

My big decision in regards to repainting, is whether to return it to original white or paint it black again.

I look forward to communicating with other MKll owners and utilizing the resources of this forum.

Mike Olguin
San Diego, CA

Sean Rollins
01-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Sounds nice. Welcome to the insanity! Post pics when you can.

Joseph Stebbins
01-10-2014, 03:46 AM
Welcome aboard! Post some pictures and share some stories.

linmk2
01-10-2014, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the group. I second the motion regarding the posting of photos.

mastersg
01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Hello, I'll throw my two cents worth in here. As the owner of an original paint 56 Mark II, I think a survivor is only a survivor once. With that being said, your car, since it is not original and needs re-doing, it would be your choice to re-paint original white or the black that it is now. If you have a chance, use "GOOGLE IMAGES" and type in "1956 Continental Mark II". Look at the white ones and then look at the black ones, picture the paint in new perfect condition and see which one strikes your fancy! The white is classy, and the black is classy and dynamic---in my opinion. I have not seen many white ones, but the black is the choice I would make. Also, does the interior go with the black nicely, or the white better?
Certainly your call, but take those things into consideration. This is your car and when it is all said and done, its your choice! Good Luck and enjoy your Mark II. George Masters--Minot, ND

Pat Marshall
01-11-2014, 07:46 AM
One could also go to the Gallery Thread in our Forum to see the Black, the White and the Rainbow of other colors that the Mark IIs came in.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=6073

Also the 3613 Registry History has been updated:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=35261

Finally, Mike, when you look at your cars history you will see ????'s. That is information we need to complete 3613's history. We would be appreciative if you would provide them. More about them can be found at: http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=4196

mike olguin
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Pat, thank you for your message and all the invaluable information you have posted. I have a lead as to who the first owner was and will do some more follow up. Great site.

Mike

Dan
01-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Paint it any color you want, its your car
:D
Black was the most popular, white being second to most popular.
I think nothing is more elegant than these cars in black, but color#02, iridescent dark blue, is my favorite: black at night, but blue in the sunlight, it really pops!
Welcome to the forum, please post pics!