PDA

View Full Version : 3678 I'm interested..

vlcarr
10-06-2013, 12:18 PM
My name is Vernon. I have a friend who has a Mark II (3678) that has been in storage in Dallas since 1984. The car has an interesting history as it was once owned by a Texas millionaire and his Hollywood wife. E.E. "Buddy" Fogelson and Greer Garson. The VIN (serial) number indicates it is most likely a 57 model. I wanted to join this group to learn a little more about the car and hopefully help her make a decision about it. Her current inclination is to sell it "as is" instead of investing in a restoration. She has an emotional attachment to the car (belonged to her father) but has no real interest in owning it herself. Any insights or advise will be appreciated. Thanks, in advance!!

Joseph Stebbins
10-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Well if she is not interested in owning the car I would clean it up due the minimum to get it running ( clean out the gas tank, install an electric fuel pump, rebuild the carb, get the breaks working ...) and sell. If it does not run and move you are essentially selling a parts car. All cars sell better and for more money if they move...

Barry Wolk
10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the site.

If you're going to let people test drive it you should adjust the brakes and bleed them, at a minimum.

FYI, as so many famous people owned them celebrity doesn't bring much of a premium unless you can somehow connect the car to Elvis.

linc64
10-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome Vernon!
This is a car that has no history in the registry. I'm sure that our historian, Pat Marshall, and the rest of us would like all the history and pictures that you can provide.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

vlcarr
10-06-2013, 08:33 PM
I'll forward your comments and advise to the owner. I'll post a photo or two soon. One from 1968 when it came into my friend's family's possession and a recent one from the storage unit. Thanks everyone

Pat Marshall
10-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Vernon, welcome to the Forum!

As mentioned above we are very interested in the history of your friend's car.

Including your contribution here's what we have on 3678 -

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=34186

I'll send you a form via email that you can use in gathering information that will help fill out 3678's history.

I agree with Barry's comments about notable owners not necessarily increasing the value of a Mark II. However if a car has an illustrious history I believe that it may make it more desirable to some purchasers and maybe museums and it might sell sooner. But I don't believe it would sell for more.

Of course if the Beatles has owned a Mark II and had it painted in a "Yellow Submarine" motif it would probably sell for a premium.

vlcarr
10-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Thank you, Pat! I'd be happy to provide any information I have about the car. It's really too great of a car to be languishing away in a dark and dusty storage unit. I don't think we'll find Elvis's cape or Ringo's drumstick in the trunk... but, I haven't looked..yet!!
Thanks again!