PDA

View Full Version : 1432 Mark Sowatsky

msowatsky
08-13-2013, 02:47 PM
I have owned this Mark II since 2009. From records, it appears it has been in Santa Barbara, CT and FL before comming to it's current home in San Diego/ El Cajon area. The car is largely original, with just over 62K miles. The attached picture (if this post works) shows a pair of plexi ducts springing from the interior rear shelf that are a part of an (early) added A/C system. They look a little "Jetsons" and foreign, but they are now a part of the history of the car. My contribution to the vehicle (outside of minor cosmetics, necessary maintenance issues and seatbelt additions/ replacement) is the installation of front discs. There is probably not a big difference in stopping power, but I feel more comfortable behind the wheel.

So, if you are in or near San Diego and see a black Mark II with one wheel missing a cover, it is likely 1432. The missing wheel cover will be sitting in the trunk (the other three need an Act of Congress for removal), as it is hard to attach, inclined to pop off and has already been lost and replaced once. If you are driving a Continental, an additional conversation starter is probably not necessary. Any advice is appreciated.

Barry Wolk
08-13-2013, 03:06 PM
The preferred fix is to get new wheels. They are thicker and don't flex the hubcaps off. I also highly recommend using metal stems wit a short piece of fuel one to prevent rubbing.

Pat Marshall
08-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Mark, here is the link to the updated history of 1432.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=33451

Please check out the ownership history. Let us know if we need to change anything.

Doc
08-14-2013, 01:54 AM
Welcome to the Forum. I don't think the pictures posted; do like the rest of us and ask any 8 year old kid to show you how to do it ;)--we all love to see pictures.

If you see a black Mark II in San Diego with no wheel covers on, that's us (we leave them in the trunk when we take weekend trips). Barry is correct, new wheels is probably the best solution, assuming you're using radial tires, and we also have metal valve stems with a rubber sleeve to protect them as the covers rotate around.