PDA

View Full Version : Andy - 1963

AndyColalillo
06-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi all,

I have long been a fan of the 56/57 Continentals. I first seen one in a magazine when I was around 12 years old and fell in love instantly. Not knowing what it was, as never having seen one before, I instantly researched and discovered what they were. To great disappointment, I soon discovered how rare and valuable they were and felt one would never be mine.

I am from Sydney Australia and primarily am into Hot Rods and Kustoms but also love classic cars.

I have a completed 34 Ford Roadster hot rod and a 36 Ford 3 Window coupe that is still a project. I have attached a pic of my roadster.

My 36 will be built as a 50ís style kustom. Chopped with a rear skirt and early 50ís Cadillac running gear. I have also built mildly customised 64 Buick Riviera and a 61 Cadillac Coupe.

I was fortunate enough to acquire a 56 Continental (C56B1963) around 2 years ago through a friend of a friend, sight unseen, out of California.

The car was priced cheap, but for good reason.

The good about the car - the body, chrome, glass and stainless interior panels and seats are all in good restorable condition.

The bad - the previous owner had perimeter cut the body of the original chassis and grafted and channelled it over a 70's model GM chassis and floor pan! I am into hot rods and kustoms, so modifying cars is something I am ok with. But to do that to such a rare beautiful car is a real shame!

However, having acquired the car in this state, with no idea what happened to the original chassis and running gear, it has in some way allowed me to feel like I can build a Kustom Continental, without ruining a legendary classic car. It has already had its soul cut out of it.

However, in saying that, it is my plan to build the car as an elegant, classy, stylish kustom that will pay homage to the original Continentalís. I want to build as it were a "Motor Show Special" or one of "Concept" version of the original Continental. Build it how the designers would have built it if it were to be a one off, without the constraints of becoming a production car.

I am sure a lot of you will hate the idea of me Kustomizing this car, but you must appreciate that anything I do to this car will be an improvement to what the previous owner had done to it.

I plan to use a new fabricated chassis, FOMOCO running gear and all the original chrome, interior and other pieces from the original car as possible.

The car only recently landed here in Aus. A recent pic attached f it in the shed. I have not done any work to it at this stage, just put some black rims and whitewall tyres on it.

I have looked on the database here and already understood the car came from Dallas Texas. It was originally white with the AC option and white and red interior. I am considering keeping original colours. The car will definitely run white whitewall tyres and most likely chrome caps or wire wheels. However, it will be a long term project.

I welcome your feedback and anyone that may have any history on the car to tell me about it. Also may be looking for original parts I may not have. 2 things that didnít come with the car I love from factory are the valve covers and the hubcaps.

I may also have some spare I wonít use, so feel free to hit me up.
Thanks for allowing me to join your community. I look forward to browsing the threads and reading and seeing more of these beautiful cars.

Barry Wolk
06-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the site. As purist as some of us are, I don't think anyone has a problem with you further modifying your car. Your assessment is correct, it would likely be a ridiculous project for you to bring this one back to it's beginnings.

One thing you need to know about this site is that we are all visually oriented so progress pictures are a must.

Pat Marshall
06-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Andy, welcome to the Forum.

I have updated the Registry History with the information that you have provided.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=19091#post19091

Do you have any information on the cars history from 1967 until you bought it (dates, names, locations)?

Joseph Stebbins
06-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Glad to hear you are in for putting FoMoCo running gear in her it always bugs me when people put 350 Chevys in a ford or Chrysler. You can get a 460 off the shelf from ford racing and she will pass anything but a gas station. There are a number of cars on the forum with that mill and they do well. Look to upgrade the steering and brakes while your at it. One big problem is getting the exhaust to the back end of the car - check here first!

Good luck and post some pics! Are you going to switch it to RH drive?

Bill Noach
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Andy, Cussobill here, (bill noach) on this site, welcome to the group, i can see another radical custom about to appear among the beatniks. I have allways seen this model car lending itself for this but could never do it to good car, you have the right candidate for this, i have carried picture in my head of an early customised one by J De Agostino? that was in shows many years ago. Look forward to your progress. Better looking than Mario,s Caddy, ha, ha

AndyColalillo
06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Andy, welcome to the Forum.

I have updated the Registry History with the information that you have provided.

Do you have any information on the cars history from 1967 until you bought it (dates, names, locations)?

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the welcome.

I purchased the car in November 2010 from Jim Noteboom. As i understand it, he had owned it for several years and the car had been in Hemet California.

I also noticed some of the comments in the vehicle history page. Did I read that at one stage it was black? Or have I misinterpretted?

The Title that came with the car is still a Texas Title dated 26 May 1969 and owner listed as;
Pritchetts Auto Service,
7855 Willow Hill Court 327, Dallas Texas.

I have paperwork where it was going to be titled in California, but it appears they never went through with it...

Happy to help however i can to find out more of the cars history.

AndyColalillo
06-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Andy, Cussobill here, (bill noach) on this site, welcome to the group, i can see another radical custom about to appear among the beatniks. I have allways seen this model car lending itself for this but could never do it to good car, you have the right candidate for this, i have carried picture in my head of an early customised one by J De Agostino? that was in shows many years ago. Look forward to your progress. Better looking than Mario,s Caddy, ha, ha

Hi Bill!

I had heard through Simon Telford that you had a Continental.

Yeah, it will probably end up a pretty radical Kustom. But done with a lot more subtleness than most customs. Dad is a member of the Beatniks, but I have my own Club. I started it with a few mates. We are called The Outkasts. Have around 15 members and approx. 25 cars. Roda, Kustoms and muscle cars.

Rick Dore built one (blue) in early 2000's i beleive. Then there was a 57 done and featured in Rod and Custom by another US builder. Both were beautiful cars, but were moderneised. Bars had been moulded into the body, chrome removed and late model inclusions like small amounts of billit. I plan to do mine more traditional to the original cars styling.

Loose plans will be something like the attached photoshop effort...

linmk2
06-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Welcome. Glad you are going to be using FoMoCo in your Mark. Good luck with the project.

Joseph Stebbins
06-04-2013, 06:39 PM
If the car has a good windshield and rear glass do not cut them down, they are pretty scarce and a good custom shop should be able to get you a better fit as the ratio's to the pillars and sails will get wonky when you lower the roof. Also the Vent window will be toast but you should be able to get something to work with the new configuration or just delete them.

AndyColalillo
06-06-2013, 12:12 AM
If the car has a good windshield and rear glass do not cut them down, they are pretty scarce and a good custom shop should be able to get you a better fit as the ratio's to the pillars and sails will get wonky when you lower the roof. Also the Vent window will be toast but you should be able to get something to work with the new configuration or just delete them.

Hey Joseph,

Yeah the front and rear screens are in good condition. I plan to sink them into the body if possible when the chop top is done. Probably put a little lean on them too. As for the corner windows, will likely just delete them. Will have to see how it looks as it comes down and if its possible to make the mworkable. but whatever looks best will be the decider.

Cheers.

Dan
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Congratulations, and welcome aboard!
Yours' is precisely the condition that begs for a cool custom.
Good luck, and there is plenty of help and support here.
Wheel covers will cost you a bundle, but the valve covers are frequently on e-bay for not too much $
Post pics as you progress!
Cheers

Joseph Stebbins
06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Given the condition of the car, putting a 460, a C-6 (use one from a 68-9 Lincoln or T-Bird with a cast iron tailshaft) and a limited slip diff. would probably be a good option than reworking the stock driveline. I do not know what your steering clearances would be given lowering the car but you may need to change the steering box and front suspension - a mustang 2 setup would probably just crumble under the weight of the car so you may have to get creative. Keep us posted!

Mad Scientist
06-06-2013, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the forum!
My take on this is depending on just how badly the body was modified I would try to keep looking as close to original as possible. In that I believe it will be hard to improve on the original design. You can look at a number of pictures here on the forum of some MKIIís that have been customized and with the exception of one or two they all leave much to be desired.

Going with a modern all Ford chassis under it would certainly be in keeping with the original concept of the car and if given a few appropriate modifications could provide some outstanding performance.

DkBlueII
06-07-2013, 10:11 AM
It would cost a bit more, but how about either one of the new Coyote-type 5.0L Mustang motors or a supercharged '03 Cobra motor in that car. I know the 2nd generation Lightening transmission will go to the '03 Cobra motor, or maybe even one out of the newer Mustang GT's to go with the 5.0L might work.

You'd be talking in the neighborhood of 400hp with the 5.0L, and depending on how you setup the Cobra motor (boost, exhuast, ect) you could run up to 600 out of that one with the stock Eaton blower (ported for that much power). Of course it's a heavy car so you wouldn't be breaking any records with it, but it'd be a very drivable, fuel injected car you could drive anywhere and nobody else would have anything like it.

It would be a pretty good amount of $$$ to spend on the drivetrain, but if the rest of the car were done right it would be worth it. Either one of those motors would make for a great presentation when the hood is open at shows, too! :D

Pat Marshall
08-31-2013, 04:01 PM
Link to updated history: