PDA

View Full Version : my mark in minnesota,need title.

skyspop
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Im writing about my mark that I purchased a few years ago from a collector who has since passed away,He did not have a title for this car,but did own another mark,that I did not get the vin off,but it was a decent air car,I would like toi know how I can go about getting a duplicate or new title to hopefully get my car on the road,?I dont know if I should put too much info up here ,but it is registered here,I have not wrote down all the other numbers,but if someone can help me please let me know,Id hate to just part it out.thank you ,patrick brittan.507 269 1265.

RODPARTS
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
If you have a bill of sale, you can get a bonded title application from your state DMV.

Doc
05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
If you don't have a bill of sale, most states have a procedure for having a new title issued predicated upon the completion of a statement of facts about the circumstances by which you acquired the car, etc. (even if the previous owner is deceased and no bill of sale can be produced). I suspect if the car had ever been registered in Minnesota, that process will be simpler (especially if you have an old license plate number or the equivalent). If it had never been registered there, it will probably not be quite as straightforward (although its age will probably be in your favor; retitling an older car is generally easier than trying to re-title a relative new car--i.e. the system is designed to accommodate "barn finds," but not new cars that mysteriously don't have a legitimate title). Re-registering the car so it can be operated on the street is a separate process once you have a title and will probably require an inspection, etc.

Good luck.

Milsteads Garage
07-29-2013, 01:23 PM
I've found the less you tell the DMV the better. Each state has different laws when it comes to dealing with them, say you bought the car off Craigslist or a swap meet for $500, guy never gave you a title, you don't remember the guys name, and the car is from your state. I did this exact method in Az with a 56 premiere that had an ORIGINAL title from the first owner that came from new mexico. They ran it through the AZ database and it came up "no record". I then went and bought a 1% insurance bond, they came back and gave me a new bonded title. It was pretty easy and it cost $80. In Indiana and Ohio they are very retarded and sluggish to deal with even IF you have a clean title. Just because I didn't have a sale price written down they tried to charge me $500 on an old POS Mark 5 that was only worth $1000 because NADA values says the average selling price is 7,800. I would be speaking with used car dealers, junk yards and other places like that to see what it really takes to get titles done in your state. A way to get around this which I like but is a little crooked, is to take two cars one with a title and one without and make the one with a title a good car again using all the best pieces. This way no hassles, no waiting no headaches. Just make sure whatever car you intend to fix is in your name first.