PDA

View Full Version : 1189 Just joined

jimisbell
01-12-2013, 05:31 PM
I have owned my Mark II for about 15 years but its been sitting in the garage for about 13 of them because the steering is so sloppy its dangerous on the road.

Problems:
1) steering box needs adjustment but I cant figure out how to remove it.
2) rusty floor in the trunk, probably Coroseal plus paint will do the job.
3) leaky trunk gasket
4) broken drivers side window (have replacement, just no time)
5) plastic needs restoring on steering wheel
6) need knob for turn signal lever

Doc
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the Forum. I suspect there are several members who can walk you through the steering box repair, etc. They're way more fun on the road than in the garage; time to get it back out there.

(all of the unrestored ones have cracked plastic on the steering wheel...and in most cases it's turned a peculiar green too) ;)

jimisbell
01-12-2013, 07:23 PM
I thought that was the natural color of the wheel....LOL

Pat Marshall
01-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

I have updated your car's history in the Registry with the information you have posted. Here is the link:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=29696

If you can provide any other historical information, it would help complete the fire. Also Engine Number, Body Tag and Carpet Hump Nameplate information will be appreciated. Finally, we always love pictures of your car.

Pat Marshall

jimisbell
01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
You know more than I did about the car. It is still in the medium blue and I think its the original paint, sort of a powder blue. I will get those numbers and tag data you want as well as a picture or two.

Only as heresay, I was told it was in Hawaii for a while and was owned by Dorothy Lamour. I wouldnt bet a cup of coffee on it though.

You can remove the "?" on the date I first owned it. It was July 8th 1998. and yes I bought it from Robert Emerson, so the two years before I owned it, it was still owned by Emerson.

Dan
01-13-2013, 07:00 AM
The "plastic" steering wheel is actually Bakelite
The turn signal piece is also Bakelite and is reproduced in plastic and can be found at Marki II Enterprises listed in the vendors section.
Welcome aboard!

Nick DeSpirito
01-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Welcome to the forum Jim. You will find an abundance of help in the technical section, and you will find our members are always eager to help fellow Mark II owners. Can't wait to see pictures of your car. :)

Pat Marshall
01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the additional information. I have updated the history:
http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=16773#post16773

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything connecting Dorothy Lamour to your car. Although I have seen references to her having owned a II. As far as Hawaii, I do have a note in my files that says "Hawaii?" but I don't know where that came from and having no supporting documentation, I haven't used it.

Your car was one of the early one's whose dealer invoice has not been located. Do you have any idea who the original dealer might have been?

Barry Wolk
01-13-2013, 10:39 AM
That information is on the Production Order, on file at the Benson Ford Research Library at The Henry Ford in Dearborn.. Call them and give them your serial number and $20 on a credit card and they will send you a copy.

linmk2
01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Welcome! My Mark has very sloppy steering as well. It's not so bad that it can't be driven, but not pleasant to drive.

Barry Wolk
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Mine is definitely getting worse. I have to constantly adjust the steering wheel, but everyone tells me everything like brand new. I hate failing to figure out the problem.:mad:

Matt Cashion
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Barry--

If everything is tight, caster setting might be low. Setting the caster to the upper spec of the recomended setting and toe in to the upper positive spec might take away the wander once and for all.
Just a thought---
Matt---

Barry Wolk
01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Worth a try.

Sean Rollins
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
I did exactly that after a steering box rebuild made no difference and wish I had first. Smartened things right up.