PDA

View Full Version : New member 3005

Stuart Rigler
12-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi, I am Stuart Rigler and I own 3005 in Michigan. Green/green with factory air from Orlando, Florida originally. I bought this car in 1999 with 39000 miles and it currently has about 45000. It had been sitting unused for many years when I purchased it and it needed a carb rebuild, new brakes, new exhaust, etc. I have submitted some pics and a few are already posted with the description of my car and as much history as I was able to find. It's all stock at the moment but I am working on a disc brake conversion that can easily be returned to stock if necessary. I managed to talk to the original owner shortly after purchasing the car. I'm sure that she is no longer with us but I was glad for the info that she was able to share. My leather interior has seen better days, having suffered from the Florida sun. I am likely going with broadcloth instead as I am no fan of leather, especially on bench seats.

Barry Wolk
12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the site, Stewart. My shop is not far from you, in Redford. I have Al's 57 and my '56 there if you want to look at anything.

I like the color combo. The steering wheel matches the interior. Many turn that shade of green.

Looks total authentic under the hood, excluding the battery and shut-off.

Have you done the brakes yet?

Stuart Rigler
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi Barry. Thanks for the welcome. We met a few years ago at the Lincoln convention in Dearborn. As for the brakes, I had purchased a booster from a Mustang ll, a master from a '78 F350 and uprights, calipers and hubs from a Mk V. I planned on having the hubs drilled to suit the Mk ll wheel's bolt pattern. This set up increases the track slightly so it needs some tweaking. For now it's still in developement. I'll post something when I figure it all out.

linmk2
12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Welcome. I sure like the color of your car. Looking forward to posts regarding your brake upgrade.

Stuart Rigler
12-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Thanks Howard!

crystal59
12-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi, I am Stuart Rigler and I own 3005 in Michigan. Green/green with factory air from Orlando, Florida originally. I bought this car in 1999 with 39000 miles and it currently has about 45000. It had been sitting unused for many years when I purchased it and it needed a carb rebuild, new brakes, new exhaust, etc. I have submitted some pics and a few are already posted with the description of my car and as much history as I was able to find. It's all stock at the moment but I am working on a disc brake conversion that can easily be returned to stock if necessary. I managed to talk to the original owner shortly after purchasing the car. I'm sure that she is no longer with us but I was glad for the info that she was able to share. My leather interior has seen better days, having suffered from the Florida sun. I am likely going with broadcloth instead as I am no fan of leather, especially on bench seats.

When you say working on a disc brake conversion, does that mean you have purchased the kit? If so, carry on. If not, ABS has a disc brake conversion but get the front only. I have both front and back from ABS but if I had to do it again, I would have front only.

Stuart Rigler
12-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Hi Gary! Thanks for that. I am assembling my own but have heard of the ABS kit. That may end up being an easier result. I don't want to use the ABS electric booster though. I'd like to keep it more period correct. Take a look at my reply to Barry above.

Joseph Stebbins
12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
I have an ABS kit on mine and it has a standard vacuum booster. Bolts right on, all you need is a proportioning valve. Make sure the set the rotors for the right bolt pattern as mine came 5x5 so the stock wheels won't go on but the ones I got for radials from RODPARTS have both bolt patterns so no problem. Also since you don't have to change the spindles you can switch back to stock easily.

crystal59
12-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I have an ABS kit on mine and it has a standard vacuum booster. Bolts right on, all you need is a proportioning valve. Make sure the set the rotors for the right bolt pattern as mine came 5x5 so the stock wheels won't go on but the ones I got for radials from RODPARTS have both bolt patterns so no problem. Also since you don't have to change the spindles you can switch back to stock easily.

Joseph is right on. Easy switch. I went one step further and had the rear done. Not a good idea. Does not work as well.

Joseph Stebbins
12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Joseph is right on. Easy switch. I went one step further and had the rear done. Not a good idea. Does not work as well.

In my case I got it all installed and sent the car for paint:o So the whole front end came off... Now I am building shipping crates for bumpers...

RODPARTS
12-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Joesph: where did you decide to have your bumpers plated at? How much is the going rate these days?

Joseph Stebbins
12-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Joesph: where did you decide to have your bumpers plated at? How much is the going rate these days?

I was going to use Graves Plating - they seem to have a good rep and the local guy I sent some switches to did a horrible job so I have to send the to be done again...Uggh.

Stuart Rigler
12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad that you mentioned the bolt pattern issue. I ran into that with the Lincoln rotors I sourced too. Luckily, there is a local race shop that will plug and re-drill the new rotors to the correct bolt pattern so that the stock wheels can still be used.

crystal59
12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
In my case I got it all installed and sent the car for paint:o So the whole front end came off... Now I am building shipping crates for bumpers...

In my situation, there was a kit for the front and I asked if there were a kit for the rear and the response was in the affirmative. The front went on easy and then I received a call about major refitting for the rear. I was not told and the box the rear came in did not set out that it was a conversion for a 1953 Lincoln. But by then too far down the road. To this day the rear squeaks at slow speeds after many adjustments. Not happy about it.