PDA

View Full Version : 1957 3453 barn find CA

michael thurman
12-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Well after a couple years of looking I finally found the mark II for me. I responded to a craigslist ad in Fresno that just said Mark II for sale. I took the guy two weeks to respond and I made a deal by the end of that week. Car was his fathers and had been stored in a barn for about 15 years he said. He drove it to his fathers funeral and never drove again. Last registered in 1992. The car was fully restored in the seventies and apparently won every show it entered. Every single part is there but it needs a complete restoration. Old paint in flaking off and leather is brittle but I'm jumping in. We've gone through the carb and fuel pump so far and should have it running this weekend. I need to make sure the engine is fine before I procede. I feel like I stole the car for $2000 but I'll try to bring it back and make the father and son proud.

Joseph Stebbins
12-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Welcome to the forum and the "owner's club" as it were.

If you got a complete car without rust for $2000 then you did well! If the leather isn't torn check the forum a number of members have saved original leather in their cars which adds to desirability. Members here have fixed every part on the car so feel free to ask questions - do it before you start for a lot less hassle on the project.

Please get the engine number, body tag number (you may not have one) and name plate info for us and post some pics!

Have fun!

Barry Wolk
12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Welcome to the insanity. The hubcaps alone are worth that much.

Bryan Moran
12-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, welcome to the club and you have an interesting story and are starting at a price point like that means a huge upside. Ultimate value is doesn't sound like why you got into it, but it doesn't hurt.

Please keep us posted on restoration progress.

Dan
12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Congratulations and welcome!
With such a low financial starting point, you can throw all kinds of $ at the car before you start to worry. :D
Having started with a car long in storage, I know what you will be facing.
Consider it was stored prior to Ethanol gas being the predominate fuel. Rubber inside the fuel pump and carb will have to be addressed.
Start with the fuel tank and work forward. I started up front, and ended up repeating myself with several projects in the fuel line. :eek:
Lots of good help here.
Pictures, pictures, pictures!
(we like pictures)

Doc
12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Congratulations on what sounds like a real find! I'm sure we all look forward to following the restoration project--and offering what advice we can; the Forum is a remarkable resource.

And nice to see you've come over to the Ford side...;)

SLK
12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the insanity... oops, I mean we're glad to have you in the group.

Barry Wolk
12-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the insanity.

Quit stealin' my line!;)

crystal59
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Well after a couple years of looking I finally found the mark II for me. I responded to a craigslist ad in Fresno that just said Mark II for sale. I took the guy two weeks to respond and I made a deal by the end of that week. Car was his fathers and had been stored in a barn for about 15 years he said. He drove it to his fathers funeral and never drove again. Last registered in 1992. The car was fully restored in the seventies and apparently won every show it entered. Every single part is there but it needs a complete restoration. Old paint in flaking off and leather is brittle but I'm jumping in. We've gone through the carb and fuel pump so far and should have it running this weekend. I need to make sure the engine is fine before I procede. I feel like I stole the car for $2000 but I'll try to bring it back and make the father and son proud.

Like to see photographs inside and out before the restoration and photographs as you restore. An exciting time with an icon car. There are posts about almost everything but off the top I read the post about Lexol for cracking leather and that works.

ishigakisensei
12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
$2000 for a complete car? Its very a much a steal that one only hears about in online rumors. Pics are now a must for this awesome find.

linmk2
12-08-2012, 05:01 PM
What a deal!!!!!! Welcome.