PDA

View Full Version : Continental Fan

Shant
10-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Hello everyone.

I discovered the Continental brand after doing some research on Lincoln. I love older cars, and Ford products from the '50s are high up on that list.

I hope to learn a thing or two here.

Barry Wolk
10-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Welcome. The first thing anyone will tell you is that the Mark II is not a Lincoln. It was built by the separate and very distinct Continental Division of Ford Motor Company.

The Mark II had a Lincoln drive train, but virtually no other parts were shared with the Lincoln line.

lincoln mark
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
When Barry says that no other parts are the same, that be the truth. Your wallet and patience will be tested. Mark A Maromonte

Shant
10-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome. The first thing anyone will tell you is that the Mark II is not a Lincoln. It was built by the separate and very distinct Continental Division of Ford Motor Company.

The Mark II had a Lincoln drive train, but virtually no other parts were shared with the Lincoln line.

I mis-spoke. I'm well aware of the Continental Division. I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.

Barry Wolk
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Ruffled not. I was reminded repeatedly. Just thought you might find it interesting if you were new to the brand.

Joseph Stebbins
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Ruffled not. I was reminded repeatedly. Just thought you might find it interesting if you were new to the brand.

Its part of the bragging rights that go with owning an orphan car! I wind up telling the story to half the people who ask about the car. The one's I love are the people who ask what year Mercedes it is!:eek:

linmk2
10-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Welcome aboard. While no one has asked about what year Mercedes my car is, I have been asked numerous times what model Thunderbird my car is? The next most asked question, does the roof come off? I've long given up on trying to explain the car is not a Lincoln. When I have tried in the past, people get a look in their eye like deer caught in headlights. Most people just don't get it.

Shant
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I wonder how bad it is for Edsel drivers. :D

Barry Wolk
10-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Edsels were built in the Continental factory after the Mark II program was cancelled.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1958-Edsel-Citation-Convertible-Factory-Photo-/00/$(KGrHqJ,!joE3NrStOKkBODOyzPDkw~~0_3.JPG

Barry Wolk
10-28-2012, 04:37 PM
How did these two cars come from the same company? They look like they come from different planets.

http://www.lsjclassics.com/1956continental1/02.jpg

Shant
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I had no idea they were built in the same factory.

That said, I'm also an Edsel fan. I'm a nut.

Barry Wolk
10-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Could be worse. Welcome to the insanity.

Shelly Harris
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Wolk;27988]Edsels were built in the Continental factory after the Mark II program was cancelled.

Both cars were management disasters... please don't tell me the Pinto was made there too.

(To be fair, the Pinto was an engineering disaster, the car sold well thru the 1970s)

Dan
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Its part of the bragging rights that go with owning an orphan car! I wind up telling the story to half the people who ask about the car. The one's I love are the people who ask what year Mercedes it is!:eek:

I frequently get "what year Chrysler is that?"
And I never can figure that one out!

We owned 2 Pinto's

crystal59
10-29-2012, 02:39 AM
How did these two cars come from the same company? They look like they come from different planets.

http://www.lsjclassics.com/1956continental1/02.jpg

The Edsel must have been built the following year by a number of the same people on the line. How's that for a job change. For the past year you are building a Mark II and this year you are building an Edsel. Hope they had good cold shower facilities and on site counsellors. Sure a job is a job but one year in high cotton and then an Edsel. Anyway, welcome to the site. Good information along with fun and good guys.

Shant
10-29-2012, 03:20 AM
I've never actually seen a Mark II in person.

I should probably look around and see if there are any nearby.

Barry Wolk
10-29-2012, 08:14 AM
There are probably more in California than anywhere else, although, quite a few got sold in Texas.

Gary, I don't much think that the guys on the line much cared what they assembled. It was a good paying job that allowed them to buy what they were building.

The workers really didn't build Mark IIs, just assembled them. The bodies and drivelines were built elsewhere and brought together for final assembly at that plant. Continental was more like the boutique manufacturers of the '30 where parts from various suppliers were brought together in one place for putting together the nuts and bolts.

That was unlike Ford's Rouge plant where they actually took in raw materials at one end and a car came out the other.

ishigakisensei
11-05-2012, 01:44 AM

And yet, Ford chooses to act as though this never happened. I recently bought some Mark II collectibles and markings list them as licensed by Ford Lincoln Continental MarkII. When Ford calls it a Lincoln Continental MarkII, naturally people will as well. Its like Ford acts like the Continental Division was the result of a drunken night slumming.

davismarkii
11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
And yet, Ford chooses to act as though this never happened. I recently bought some Mark II collectibles and markings list them as licensed by Ford Lincoln Continental MarkII. When Ford calls it a Lincoln Continental MarkII, naturally people will as well. Its like Ford acts like the Continental Division was the result of a drunken night slumming.

HAHA, holy cow, that is funny! Too true. A night full of great stories, but no one you'd take home to the parents... I guess when the Continental brand was taken over by Lincoln, then later Lincoln into Ford, Ford still doesn't carry any weight about its relations with Lincoln. Sure they share parts, but none of the brands want the attatchment. That should be fine with us. It makes the Mark II way more unique! (All of this is much different than the Chrysler brand now, throwing the SRT8 engine in every car it can, from Jeep to the Viper, there is no hiding the similarities. haha)

Oh, by the way, welcome!