PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Paul Sable new owner of 2332

Barry Wolk
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I got tired of Paul drooling on my car and told him to get his own, so he did.

He wanted a fixer-upper. He found one. Unfortunately, it was in a flash-flood and there's water in the engine, trans and rear end.:eek:

The interior is moldy, but appears to be salvageable. The body is in nice shape, but nothing seems to work.

Wish Paul luck in his endeavor to get this beast back on the road.

How would you go about remediating the water problem? What should he do before he tries to start it?

BTW, Doc Sable is the chief judge at many of the Concours we participate in. You'll never meet a nicer guy.

JCB
06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow! Sounds like a million dollar restoration in the works.

Joseph Stebbins
06-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I got tired of Paul drooling on my car and told him to get his own, so he did.

He wanted a fixer-upper. He found one. Unfortunately, it was in a flash-flood and there's water in the engine, trans and rear end.:eek:

The interior is moldy, but appears to be salvageable. The body is in nice shape, but nothing seems to work.

Wish Paul luck in his endeavor to get this beast back on the road.

How would you go about remediating the water problem? What should he do before he tries to start it?

I'd start by pulling the carpet and replacing the pad and cleaning or replacing the carpet. Do it fast before the floor pans rust out! Also clean and lube the seat motors and open and clean up the relays (they probably have water sitting in them but he will still have a good shot at repairing them.) Also clean and reseat the bullet connectors at the seat connection so they don't short and burn the carpet.

You also have sound deadening material behind the leather at the kick.

As for the engine I'd get a gasket kit from NAPA and break down the engine short of removing the heads pull the pan and clean/hose it all down with ATF or MMO straight through the block to a pan below. Flood the top end through the plug holes with Castle Thrust or one of the other non graphite penetrating oils.

Do a similar operation for the Diff and the Transmission. Also the brakes will look bad too. (I attach a picture of mine which had been rebuilt but flooded - there was water in the recess of the drum behind the bearing in the front!)

Good luck!

Matt Cashion
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
How long was the car in water? How long has it been out?

Barry Wolk
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I'll let Paul tell that tale. Let's just say it was 18-24" of water.

He did ask me how water got into the crankcase. I told him the water either got above the vent in the valley pan or it came in around the draft tube/ filler pipe. I say that because I can easily move mine so I don't think it's a waterproof fit.

I assumed that the differential was totally underwater and filled through the vent. I don't know how water could get into the trans without coming in at the top or base of the fill tube. The rest is a closed system.

Barry Wolk
06-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Let me assure you that I tried to dissuade him from making the purchase, but, love is a funny thing.

If it doesn't work out it would make an awesome parts car.

Pat Marshall
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
FWIW - Ron Ross can probably give some insight about how you bring back a drowned car. His #3801 was under 25 feet of water in PA from Hurricane Agnes in 1972. Although he didn't own it at the time, he had quite a lot of issues with it after he bought it.

Barry Wolk
06-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Oh, my.

This is Paul.

Sean Rollins
06-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Oh my god..... Well, he has a smile on his face I think. That's the spirit he needs to face all that water. I hope he gets very lucky. I would like to see his hopeful attitude when purchasing his mark ll pay off. :)

Joseph Stebbins
06-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Wow - what a picture! Well I am sure we will all do what we can on the technical side or on the enthusiasm side! GO PAUL!

crystal59
06-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Beyond my comprehension to even try to take on this project. With the price of Mark II apparently at one of it's low points, given the number for sale and the range of price, I wonder about the choice, but I wish you the best of success. As you may know, there is no better help for Mark II than this forum.

Barry Wolk
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Paul found this chunk of aluminum casting in his water-soaked engine. I can't think of anything internal to a Mark II that's aluminum. I don't think they gave a lot of thought to weight savings.:rolleyes:

I'm wondering if something that size came in through the oil filler from an object left over in a funnel.

Paul says the rest of the car is cleaning up nicely and it's solid.

Joseph Stebbins
08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
The only 2 thing s I can think of are the distributor and the Carb. Is the bottom of the distributor intact?

Barry Wolk
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I suppose the port for the distributor could be the way in. I don't remember a passage that size, though. I took pictures of the inside of mine. I'll look for them.