PDA

View Full Version : new and need help

scooter
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi i am a new member. i am currently restoring my mark II. im running into vacuum and electrical problems. many vacuum lines are disconected or broken. And instrument panel dosen't work at all.Any help would be great.
thank you scott winterlich

Barry Wolk
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Scott, welcome to the site. Use the search engine to look for Vacuum Schematic.

If you have specific questions we can help.

FYI, your brakes and vacuum advance run off of manifold vacuum. Your wipers, washer bottle, heater controls and antenna run off a vacuum pump located on top of the fuel pump. That pump gives you a constant 20hg of vacuum, allowing everything to work during acceleration.

There are three steel tubes that attach to the chassis. These carry vacuum and wiper fluid past the exhaust manifold where rubber tubing would have been ruined by engine heat.

One tube is vacuum from the pump, one is washer fluid under pressure and the third is the spray coordinator for the washer bottle. This insures a splash of fluid in the middle of a wiper sweep.

Your instrument panel problems could be a blown fuse.

Shelly Harris
01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Welcome again Scott:

The vacuum lines are very easy to trace down and by following the drawing available in the "Documents Library" you should be able to replace the rubber lines w/o difficulty. The hardest ones probably are in the dash connecting the heater control valves, wiper control, and antenna switch and antenna motor, Do not use fuel line hosing as vacuum line hosing is different in its characteristic of not flattening shut.

Is the car operable? Motor run etc?

PLease post up some pictures of your car. For our Registry, what is your car's vin number?

linmk2
02-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the forum. As already stated, I think you will find a great deal of help to solve your problems. If the gauges or dash lights are not working, one thing to check is to make sure the gauge cluster mounted to the dash has a good ground. The ground is made just with some sheet metal screws. When I first got my Mark II, I discovered that easy fix. Simply remove the screws holding the cluster cover. Lift up on the cover. You will note it is heavier than it looks. Once the cluster cover is off, you will see the screws that attach the cluster to the dash. Make sure they are tight. However, do not over tighten them. They are rather easy to strip.

scooter
02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
shelly my computer will not let me attach pictures. and i forgot to write the vin number down. and the car does run. the carb needs to be rebuilt, it needs tiers. the car sat for 15 years. scott winterlich portland oregon