PDA

View Full Version : 3159-New Mark II Owner

joeinbcs
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi All,
I've been lurking here for a couple of years, mostly trying to find a car for my uncle. For various reasons, mostly having to do with maintaining domestic tranquility, he's not been able to commit to a car.
I became more interested in Mark II's as a result of my search on his behalf, and have finally bought one of my own.
My car was owned by Sal Gotleib, of Spring, TX, since 1986. Sal undertook a rather leisurely frame-off restoration that included replacing the original drive train with a rebuilt 460 and C6 transmission from a '76 Mark IV, and a disk brake setup from a 1971 Ford Galaxie. The car also has electrically controlled outside mirrors from a later model Lincoln.
Originally a black car with deep gray biscuits, white bolsters and deep gray welts, the car has been repainted black, but the interior is now deep red biscuits, black bolsters and black welts. The headliner is done in deep red perforated material that matches the biscuits.
The car is currently wearing wheels from a '96 Town Car. While these wheels seem to suit the car reasonably well, I'm hoping to have some wheels made and find some original hubcaps once I've taken care of some of the issues needed to complete the car. Sal's already done the heavy lifting on this restoration, but there some items that I need to do. Among them:
1. Figure out some kind of A/C system for this non-A/C car. Sal put in a condenser and compressor, but no plumbing or evaporator. I'm not sure how to proceed here...
2. The car needs to have a new wiring harness installed.
3. A few missing interior and exterior trim bits need to be found and installed.
4. There some miscellaneous issues like under cowl vent tubes that need to be installed.
5. There are new wipers, but no wiper motor. I've been told that an electric unit from a '57 Chevy will work?
Anyway, its obviously not an original car, but the 460 with its 30 thousandths bore and mildly hot cam make it quite fun to drive.

Shelly Harris
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Looks great !! There's always something to get done...start driving it.

RODPARTS
06-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Joe: I have bolt-in 12 volt electric wiper motors for our cars. They are $207.95 My phone # is (800) 373-5773
Jay

Doc
06-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Joe: Welcome to the Forum. That's a nice looking car and, at the risk of heresy, I must admit, I like the wheels--they're way more attractive than most non-stock wheels/hubcaps I've seen on Mark IIs. Sounds like a great driver. Enjoy it.

Bob Barger
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I second Doc, welcome Joe, and I also think the wheels look really good. I had a 57 Chevy wiper motor on my car for a while and it is a bolt on replacement. Looks like a car that should be driven for a while.

joeinbcs
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the kind welcomes. I should have posted these with my original message, but here are a couple of pics of the 460.

joeinbcs
06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Some of you probably cringed when you read I was considering a red steering wheel. I didn't realize how wrong it would have been until I read the Authenticity Manual. While my car is a long way from original underneath, only the non-standard mirrors and wheels will give it away as far as I know. I'd like to keep it in the spirit of an original car, and now know that the steering wheel should be the color of the dash.
Russ Upton kindly sent a core to Richard Garcia, who will make me a new black one...should have it in four weeks.
Thanks for the help. Joe
PS: I need a couple of chrome finishers for the upper doors. I'm missing the driver side forward finisher and the passenger side rear door finisher (the bit you see when the doors are closed...sorry I don't know the proper name).
thanks, Joe

Dan
06-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Far from original
but a classy driver
Enjoy many happy miles on your new acquisition!

joeinbcs
10-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Been a while, and I've been busy with other cars, but I finally got some correct hubcaps from Russ Upton.
Rick Payton gave me some old bias-ply tires to see how they looked...pretty good I think.
Got a new steering wheel (black) made by a guy who Russ put me on to.
Still a lot to do...including the drip rail molding that I'm sure jumps out to you all.
I'm sending the car out to have a new wiring harness installed.
Also, still trying to decide what to do about the A/C situation. As a refresher, this was a non-A/C car from the factory. Sal installed a condenser and a compressor, but nothing else. I'm trying to decide whether I would be better off with a trunk-mounted unit that blows through the package tray (trying to replicate the factory setup is just a bridge too far for me), or with an underdash unit, perhaps mounted in the glove box area, or maybe even where the current HVAC controls reside.
I would welcome any thoughts anyone may have on which way I should proceed with the A/C.
Thanks! Joe

Barry Wolk
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a complete unit in the trunk of my car that's not being used if you want to go that route. My top is only up when it rains and that's the only time I could use it.

The early pictures of my car show an under-dash unit with a hole cut into the firewall, just behind the battery, to pass in the refrigerant lines.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1%20Mark%20II%20docs/May08-03-1.jpg

joeinbcs
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks very much, Barry.
I may take you up on your offer after I've considered the alternatives and spoken with the guy who is doing my wiring harness.
Best, Joe