PDA

View Full Version : 2968-New member Caracas,Venezuela

Rolo
11-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Hello, I am a new member of your great forum and I just bought my Mark II. I have not any experience on restoring cars, Ill try to do my best. I see there is so much information in your forum, I have so many questions that maybe are already answered here but there is something that. I would like to know what is the right paint code color for my car, I Know it is medium blue but. I ll keep you up date on my progress

Sorry about my poor English.

Thanks again.
Donato Rolo
C56F2968

SLK
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry a out your English, so many in America have trouble with it too.

Your car looks to be in pretty good shape, check the various documents for tips on restoring your Mark II. Don't hesitate to ask your questions and you'll have some knowledgeable people providing answers.

Milsteads Garage
11-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I think the wheel hubs have been changed because it looks like those are old Chrysler wire wheels from the 50s. Since you are a member, you also have access to our library. The guy I got my car from (Buddy Holiday) wrote a book about these cars. We have the book on PDF but I believe the book is no longer in print especially since he passed away about 5 years ago. Anyway, have at it, ask questions, it won't bother any of us.

Barry Wolk
11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the site. It looks like the brake booster has been upgraded, too.

Check the condition of your center driveshaft bearing before it leaves you stranded.

Dan
11-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Welcome to the forum!
You will find most of your answers here.
It takes a little while to navigate the site.
When I had my car re-painted, we looked for places on the car to directly match the original paint.
The Buddy Holiday book mentioned in an earlier post lists a Du Pont color code of "1966 General Motors, Cobalt Firemist #4725LH" for your color of "Medium Blue"
Good luck and please continue to post pictures of your progress!

Rolo
11-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you very much for the kind welcome I really appreciate your help and you can be absolutely sure that is going to be very much appreciated.
Today I start my mark II saga I remove the side moldings in order to fix and chrome them they are very rusty. Tomorrow I’m planning on starting the engine letīs see what happens. Of course I will check out the drive shaft, brakes (which are very soft) and the front end.
Today somebody advice me to run the car for a while in order to check out how the engine runs and try the gear box to see if it runs good. To be honest I never thought on doing that. Please let me Know if it is a good idea.(probably a dumb question)
I notice that my car is faster than yours since the speedometer shows up to 200!!!
Just kidding is not in miles is in Km/h I don’t know if is common to see this but I m posting some pictures any way.
In my opinion the upholstery looks pretty good even thought is old I believe it is original but according to the car serial it suppose to has blue somewhere I m posting some pictures.
I had been checking the Budy Holiday guide and it is excellent lot of information on it.

Thanks

Best regards.
Donato

Pat Marshall
11-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Welcome Donato,

There has been no record of your car other than the original Ford information that it was exported to Venezuela.

So our Registry History of your car now is -

OWNERSHIP HISTORY:
1956 Export-Venezuela
1956-2000 Unknown Ownership History-Venezuela
2011 Donato Rolo Venezuela

Can you tell us about your car's history in Venezuela?
Who owned it and the dates that they owned it?
When you bought the car?

Regarding the mouldings. Mark II mouldings were stainless steel with a light coating of flash chrome. I have never seen significant rust on Mark II moldngs so I am wondering if someone fabricated steel replacements in the past?

Here is the link for your car in the Registry History:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=21664&highlight=2968#post21664

SLK
11-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Were you able to get any information on it's history? It would be interesting to see who imported the car in 1956. Maybe someone tied to the oil companies?
Enjoy your car. Once it's running well, they are wonderful to cruise around in. With your gas prices, you can probably fill up for less than I pay for 1 gallon ($3.69 each).

linmk2
11-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Welcome. You have joined the right forum. A great deal of information that should help you with your project.

Roger Zimmermann
11-19-2011, 03:32 AM
Welcome Donato (is this your first name, or Rolo?) to this forum. I found here many infos and helpful people for my own project (scale model 1:12).
I assume that Venezuela had the metric system since a long time (like Europe) therefore you have the speedometer going to 200 like most US cars sold here in Europe.
Regarding your question if you should drive your car to see how react engine and transmission: do the brakes first! Usually cars that old have a deficient brake system unless the maintenance was done on a regular basis. Then you can drive the car to check if it performs as intended.
Do you have a speed limit in Venezuela? (probably a dumb question too!)

Barry Wolk
11-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Roger,

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.

Roger Zimmermann
11-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Roger,

There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
You are right Barry!

Rolo
11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Hello unfortunately What I have about the car history is not much The registered owners are as follows 02/11/1987 Hugo Samuel Volcanes Aponte, 09/13/1989 Juan Arduino Contessi Serpellini,11/27/2003 Daniel Paramo Lodeiro who trade some how to a guy name Alejandro Borrajo but he didnīt even sign any document but hold the car with him for about 10 years and me Donato Rolo Mendez between Juan and Daniel there where 2 owners a company call Kaminca who sold the car to a woman named Graciela Moreno Arjona but they didn't registered the car.As I can see in some documents the car Was in Merida state SW of Venezuela by 1956 Venezuelan president was from that region of the country I guest some influenced politics may be over there or probably as SLK said some oil worker since Maracaibo an important oil state is close to Merida.Another thing about the car is that it was blue by 1991 was painted white and I don't know when came back to blue.The car was brought on a truck from Merida to Caracas in 1991. Ill try to make some research but down here is not that easy.
SLK about the gas the only cheap thing around here (it is cheaper than water).I can buy 1 lts 0.26 gallon for about 2 cents. 26 gallons a dollar.
Pat, About the mold I hope you are not right Ill check them out.
Roger cheap gas no speed limit.Hot Rods paradise
Thank you guys
Donato
PD I don't Know how to publish some more pictures on this treat do I have to create a new one to do so please some help on this I don't want to mess it.

Rolo
11-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm Sorry, Maracaibo is no a state is a city the state is Zulia .
Roger,my first name is Donato my last Rolo and by the way I saw your work on that model you are building it something awesome I am very impress with such a beautiful work Congratulation.
Best regards
Donato

richroni
11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
PD I don't Know how to publish some more pictures on this treat do I have to create a new one to do so please some help on this I don't want to mess it.
When you POST REPLY, if you scroll down some, you will find a button MANAGE ATTACHMENTS there you will be able to upload & attach pictures to your post.

Rolo
11-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Thank you Richard,it is easy:)
Donato

Roger Zimmermann
11-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Roger,my first name is Donato my last Rolo and by the way I saw your work on that model you are building it something awesome I am very impress with such a beautiful work Congratulation.

Donato
Thank you Donato! I hope for you that your car will be ready before mine...Anyway, if my model would be finished too early, what will I do next?
Interesting country without speed limits!

Pat Marshall
11-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Donato,

Based on what you gave on the car's history, I put this together.

Please tell me any changes I should make.

1956 Export-Venezuela
1956-87 No Ownership History
1987-89 Hugo Samuel Volcanes Aponte ?? Venezuela
1989-?? Juan Arduino Contessi Serpellini ?? Venezuela
??-?? Kaminca S.A. (Banana Exporter) Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela
??-?? Graciela Moreno Arjona Merida (?) Venezuela
2003-?? Daniel Paramo Lodeiro (?) Venezuela
??-?? Alejandro Borrajo Venezuela
??-?? 2011 Donato Rolo Mendez Caracas (?) Venezuela

Rolo
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Donato,

Based on what you gave on the car's history, I put this together.

Please tell me any changes I should make.

1956 Export-Venezuela
1956-87 No Ownership History
1987-89 Hugo Samuel Volcanes Aponte ?? Venezuela
1989-?? Juan Arduino Contessi Serpellini ?? Venezuela
??-?? Kaminca S.A. (Banana Exporter) Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela
??-?? Graciela Moreno Arjona Merida (?) Venezuela
2003-?? Daniel Paramo Lodeiro (?) Venezuela
??-?? Alejandro Borrajo Venezuela
??-?? 2011 Donato Rolo Mendez Caracas (?) Venezuela
Hello Pat.
This are the dates to complete the history until I find out some more data :
Juan (Valera Edo. Trujillo) from 1989 to 1991, Kaminca (Valera Edo. Trujillo) from 1991 to 1992, Graciela (Caracas) from 1992 to 2003, Daniel (Caracas) from 2003 to 2005, Alejandro (Caracas) from 2005 to 2011 and Donato (Caracas) from 2011 until now.
I haven't done much on the car I m just gathering parts and info.

Shelly Harris
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Does this car win the trophy for most owners?

Pat Marshall
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the information. I will update the Registry History for 2968.

Pat Marshall
12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Our records show that C5681053 was reported to be in Venezuela in the years 1975 through 1984. The owner was Steven Peic.

Do you have any information about this car?

Rolo
12-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello Pat I wish I do as a matter of fact mine is the only one I had seen around here,the other one I just saw is in a museum they let me open the car to take a look inside but I could not open the door completely to take a look at the VIN wish I could, but any way mine is in lot better shape than that one.
I m adding some more pictures of the interior of my car I believe the upholstery is not original because it does not has any blue color on it.
By the way I m going to be in Orlando by the 18 of this month.Does any one knows if by any chances there is going to be any MKII event around Florida.

Thanks
Donato

Rolo
05-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Hello Pat I'm about to rebuilt the complete interior of my Mark II an I was wondering if you could help me with the interior trim the VIN as you may have it is
C56E2968 15-1N6B-321-5

Thanks
Donato

Doc
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
The legend to decipher the data plate is part of the Registry; you can check it all there.

1N6B = medium blue leather biscuits; white leather bolsters; med. blue welting

Rolo
06-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello Pat thanks for the info about the VIN but that is something I already knew.actually the info I was wondering you could have was the one you gave Gary and Rick.I know you have a lot more info about their cars than about mine since mine was an export car.
I'm asking for this info since my car sometime was re upholstery completely in beige
so I really don't know what the color pattern of the upholstery was. I have seen some blue and white trims but they are different for example the arm rest on the back seat some times are blue and some times are white an other example is the ceiling was it white or was it blue ???So thatīs my dilemma, if you don't have this info what do you think would be my best bet?

Thanks.

Pat Marshall
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Donoto, hopefully this will be satisfactory:

WHITE LEATHER
Seat bolsters and rear seat center armrest
Skirt panels below welting on front and rear seat cushions
Shell around front seatback
Shield at end of front seat cushion (1956, some early 1957)
Outer pivot arms of the front seatback frame
Strap over the center pivots of the front seatback frame
Door/quarter biscuits (total of 4), including buttons
Windlace at door opening, 4 pieces

WHITE NYLON, fine check weave
Headlining (WHITE VINYL, perforated, was used on C56Q3688 and C56Q3708)

MEDIUM BLUE LEATHER
Seat biscuits (total of 10), including buttons
Robe strap, back of the front seatback
Seat welts
Shield at end of front seat cushion (some 1957)
Dash covering, instrument cluster hood, kick panels, panels on firewall below glove box and by steering column
Door/quarter armrests and door/quarter window garnish mouldings
Windshield garnish mouldings (upper and lower), windshield posts, sun visors, side window upper garnish mouldings (next to headlining), panel between quarter window and rear window (including small biscuit panel and trim buttons), and back window garnish moulding
Trim between rear seatback and package shelf, and edging of air return grille on package shelf of air conditioned cars

MEDIUM BLUE PLASTIC
Steering wheel, inside door knobs, shift & turn signal lever knobs

MEDIUM BLUE SATIN PAINT (MATCH THE LEATHER DASH IN COLOR AND GLOSS)
Lower dash, dash panels, glove box, console, radio speaker grille frame, screws and washers on instrument hood, steering column (including rubber grommet at firewall), part of the horn ring spokes and hub, brake pedal arm, round air vent outlets in kick panels, package shelf covering, and package shelf air return grille on air-conditioned cars
Vertical metal panel and metal bottom of hand pull recess in arm rest and front ash tray lamp access plate, unless chrome plated

DEEP BLUE CARPET
Interior, glove box, bar at rear of front seat frame, underside of front seat cushion at the rear, and trunk

DEEP BLUE VINYL
Spare tire cover, and jack bag, if included
Binding on trunk carpet

Rolo
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
This is a lot more than satisfactory this is excellent thank you so much.