PDA

View Full Version : 1758 New Owner!

Greg Stock
09-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Hi everyone,

I finally realized a 20 year dream and found a Mark II that I could afford. I purchased C56A1758 at an auction close to my house. I had never seen one live and in person outside of a museum so it was pretty exciting. It definitely needs some work to get it up to speed but I did drive it home which was about 30 miles and it ran pretty well.

Unfortunately about half of the gauges aren't working (speedometer and gas gauge among them) and the brakes are pretty spongy. It apparently was restored at some point and was repainted white and the interior was redone in white (I believe that the car was originally black with grey interior) and there are some scratches on one side of the car. In addition, the driver's side window has some decent-sized cracks so it will need to be replaced and that window goes down but won't come back up (bad switch?). My goal is to get it up to speed mechanically before moving on to the cosmetics.

Unfortunately, one of the chrome headlight rings was stolen off the car on the day of the auction. He was certain it was on that morning when they got it out but it was gone a couple of hours later, which is frustrating.

I have enjoyed reading through the forum and look forward to learning lots. I am not particularly mechanically inclined but have a couple friends who have restored several cars so I am going to be very, very nice to them. :)

SLK
09-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum. It will be a source of great information as you work on your car. Start by adding any details about your car and some pictures. Play around with the search feature as many questions have been asked and the documents library contains very detailed instructions on almost any topic. Again, welcome to the forum.

Pat Marshall
09-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Let me add my welcome to you and your car!

Here is the Registry History from your car, updated with your information.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=18785#post18785

Over 500 Mark IIs dropped off the map in 1984 (we don't know why) so it's great to get one back.

Please send some pictures and I'll add them to the car's history. Also if you have any other ownership history for the car it would be great to have. At which auction did you buy your car?

Once again welcome! I guarantee you'll be glad you joined the Forum.

Pat

linmk2
09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Glad to have you aboard. You have come to the correct location for information and help. I too lost a headlight ring out pleasure driving one Sunday. As I recall, they twist off and on. There are not any screws that hold them in place. I purchased another ring from a Mark II supplier at the time. Have not lost another one since.

Greg Stock
09-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm glad that I could help the car resurface after a long absence. I don't know a ton about the car's history. I purchased it a private auction in Tuscola, IL, a small town in East Central Illinois. The auction was a lot of car signage and memorabilia from a local guy cleaning out a building. The car actually belonged to one of his friends, Steve Wright, who told me about this forum (he is a member-aircardcorp). Steve had bought the car in 2006 from a woman who inherited (?) the car from her husband, a retired Air Force colonel as I understood it. That is about all I know of its history other than a 1981 inspection sticker on the windshield from Texas and a Dept. of Defense sticker on the front bumper that appears to be from Vance Air Force Base in 1979. I wish I knew more, but that's the only clues I have found.

I did find some info on the original owner, John Kluge. Apparently he was very successful in the early days of television and at one point was the richest man in the U.S. He died last year in his 90's and left an almost 7 billion dollar estate. Easily enough to help restore my car! :)

Dan
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Congratulations, and welcome aboard!
I had only seen one other Mark II in person before taking the plunge and buying mine in January of this year. I drove it 200 miles to get it home.
This forum has been invaluable in supplying information and support.
My car is now roadworthy, with many projects yet to accomplish, but I have never had such a magnificient experience as in owning and driving this automobile.
Please supply pics as you can!

Pat Marshall
10-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Information on the original owner billionaire John Kluge and second (?) owner Brigadier General Jeffrey T. Ellis - Vietnam POW (1967-1973).

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=18785#post18785

Greg Stock
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, I took it out for my inaugural pleasure ride this afternoon. After driving around and stopping by a couple of friends' houses briefly (to show it off, of course), it was running great. I got about a half mile from home and it dies at a stoplight of a busy intersection (at least it was Sunday early evening and traffic was lighter than usual). After numerous efforts, it would not start at all. A flatbed later, it's at the shop so we'll see what tomorrow brings....... It looks like it leaked some oil and transmission fluid in my garage this week though. I gotta say though, even on the flatbed, that car still looks good!

Greg Stock
10-02-2011, 09:04 PM
The rest of the Spec # on my car is 1115-8 by the way. I can't find a nameplate anywhere so I'm guessing it disappeared when the car was restored.

Barry Wolk
10-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Welcome to the site. Do NOT spend any money on fixing oil or trans leaks. They mostly disappear once you've driven the car, getting the seals wet and hot enough to expand to their original shape. Also, the car has a draft tube that can leak from residual oil fumes the collect in the tube. That's normal.

If the car hasn't been driven in a while it may have fuel problems. The rubber parts in the fuel pump don't always react well to today's fuels.

Good luck with your new toy.

Doc
10-06-2011, 07:43 PM
The rest of the Spec # on my car is 1115-8 by the way. I can't find a nameplate anywhere so I'm guessing it disappeared when the car was restored.

Congratulations on finding your car (especially one with such an interesting ownership history) and welcome to the Forum.

The "nameplate" was simply the gold, rectangular Continental script badge that sat in the carpet on the transmission hump between the front seat and the heater/vent controls. If you've got that and there's no name inscribed on it, yours was one that came without a name on it--if there was a name, it was typically engraved on the badge below the Continental script.

I don't know if there's any definitive data on "nameplates," but I suspect most Mark IIs didn't have an engraved name. Pat, anyone, have any information on how many had engraved names?

Barry Wolk
10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I was led to believe that the plates could be sent in for engraving after delivery, so there may be no way of telling.

Pat Marshall
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM
I don't know if there's any definitive data on "nameplates," but I suspect most Mark IIs didn't have an engraved name. Pat, anyone, have any information on how many had engraved names?

I have never seen any information on that. Over the years the LCOC has had several projects aimed at researching the cars. Maybe someone did that. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of any of this in formation being made available.

NOTE: I did not say the information was never shared, I said I have no knowledge of it ever being shared.:)

Barry Wolk
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Anyone have a copy of a Production Order for a car that was ordered for a specific customer. Maybe there's some info on it. I would think that there would have been a punch out for something like that.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1%20Mark%20II%20docs/Jan3101.jpg

Greg Stock
11-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Just realized that I forgot to post a few pics of the car if anyone's interested. It needs to be repainted but that's just one thing on the list. :)

Barry Wolk
11-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Nice car. Love the nostrils. Wish my car had them, best design feature.