PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Canada

2 Lincolns
12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Greetings from one of God's frozen people!

I just joined up and have a passion for all things Ford and in particular Lincolns and Thunderbirds.

The only Mark II I own is a blue 1:18 Scale Yat Ming which I recently added to my growing die cast collection of cars.

I do own a beautiful black 1995 first generation Mark VIII which I imported from South Carolina about 3 years ago and served as my DD for one year. It was far too nice to continue driving it in the winter so it is now my latest collectible car. Not many in Canada from what I can figure out, I live just outside Toronto which has several million people and have seen perhaps 3 others in the past 3 years.

I have always had a thing for the Mark II along with the original Little Thunderbirds. I assume all you need is a good interest in the Mark II to be a member; who knows I may buy one in future. There was one for sale at the Toronto Auto Auction in early November, a coffee colored one which needed some TLC. I am not sure if or what it sold for at auction but things were going cheap with the economy the way it is.

So that is my story! Hope to read and join in the fun from time to time, this like many car groups seems to have some great people on board. (I was a visitor first so I checked you out reading your posts etc.)

Warmest regards,

Gordon Robinson

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the site. Ownership is not necessary, but, if you stick around long enough it's easy to catch the fever.

2 Lincolns
12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the site. Ownership is not necessary, but, if you stick around long enough it's easy to catch the fever.

Thanks Barry!

Oh I have the fever, but I don't have the garage space. Besides the wife thinks I have far too many cars now (6) including my DD AWD 08 Edge and the wife's DD, 02 Black Lincoln LS V8.

Now if I could only figure how to get them all into a 2 car garage. Fortunately for me some of my car collector friends have large garages with extra space for a couple of mine for the winter.

Maybe it's time to move to a house where I can build a big honking garage to satisfy my wants/needs ???

Regards,

Gord

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Just do what I did.

5bird7
12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Welcome! Gord. For a sec, thought you also had a Mark II til I read your post. Can't seem to keep my fingers zipped here, either.:D No mention of your retrobird though?

roger
12-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Gordon,
Welcome to the best forum around. I must caution you, joining the forum is the first step to buying a Mark 11
Roger

Doc
12-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum. You and I have the same problem, bigger appetites for cars than space in our garages; it's the only thing that keeps me in check. On the other hand, follow a couple of the new threads and I think you'll see there are some Mark IIs out there just waiting for a new owner. Shoot, it looks like there's a really good candidate for a complete restoration in Michigan, just around the corner from Barry...

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
They are everywhere. I used to haunt junkyards in the '60s. I never saw one. I think the vast majority are still out there.

Nick DeSpirito
12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Gordon,

Welcome to the forum. I have a white Yat Ming with a red and white interior. I have always been a fan of the Continental Marks. My first was a new '74 Mark IV (saddle and white luxury group), which I sold in '77 for a Cartier Mark V. (Dove gray was the rage in car colors back than and I had to have one). It was around that time while thumbing through the classifieds in Hemmings, that I came upon a picture of a Mark II for sale. I had never seen one before or had even known of their existence and was immediately blown away. It was at that point that I was bitten by the Mark II bug, collecting any and all info I could get my hands on about the car, phoning then LCOC president Bob Davis, (He and his wife June owned 2 Mark II's and drove them everywhere) numerous times for direction, which eventually led to my purchasing the one I own in 1988. I hope you eventually find you car. Here's a pic of my stable.

2 Lincolns
12-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Just do what I did.

Hi Barry,

Not sure my ceiling is that high but just in case I will measure it and if it is,

SEND MONEY :p

Gord

2 Lincolns
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Welcome! Gord. For a sec, thought you also had a Mark II til I read your post. Can't seem to keep my fingers zipped here, either.:D No mention of your retrobird though?

Hi Dot,

No just window shopping thus far.

I did post some pictures of my stable of Lincolns/Thunderbirds, but no Mark II's yet.

Maybe someone with 2 or 3 Mark II's will send me one (for free of course).:D

Gord

Barry Wolk
12-16-2009, 10:18 AM
If ceiling height is a problem, simply raise the ceiling.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/IMG_3808.jpg

Roger Zimmermann
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
If ceiling height is a problem, simply raise the ceiling.

I would love too to have this arrangment. Unfortunately, I'm in a 2 stories barn and cannot raise the ceiling (nor lower the floor).
Sorry the picture is not from a Mark II but from my '56 Biarritz while in restoration.

2 Lincolns
12-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Gordon,

Welcome to the forum. I have a white Yat Ming with a red and white interior. I have always been a fan of the Continental Marks. My first was a new '74 Mark IV (saddle and white luxury group), which I sold in '77 for a Cartier Mark V. (Dove gray was the rage in car colors back than and I had to have one). It was around that time while thumbing through the classifieds in Hemmings, that I came upon a picture of a Mark II for sale. I had never seen one before or had even known of their existence and was immediately blown away. It was at that point that I was bitten by the Mark II bug, collecting any and all info I could get my hands on about the car, phoning then LCOC president Bob Davis, (He and his wife June owned 2 Mark II's and drove them everywhere) numerous times for direction, which eventually led to my purchasing the one I own in 1988. I hope you eventually find you car. Here's a pic of my stable.

Nice stable Nick, I see you have a Gen II Mark VIII a nice mix of old and new and well spread out amongst the years. You somehow skipped the 80's Marks unless you have one tucked away somewhere out of sight. Time for a 20's Mark X AWD?

Remember the one that dies with the most toys wins! ;)

Gord

2 Lincolns
12-16-2009, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=Barry Wolk;3484]If ceiling height is a problem, simply raise the ceiling.

Hmmmm.........not sure that would work since there is a bedroom above the garage. Of course I could always remove the floor, but not sure how the war department would like that?

Perhaps dig a pit and go down? LOL

Gord

Barry Wolk
12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Did that in my house. Tore out 2,300 square feet of concrete and 100 yds. of sand and dropped the walkout floor two feet so I could have a finished flat 8' ceiling.

Doc
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Now I'm starting to understand why Barry's favorite film reference is to "The Money Pit." I'm reminded of when my wife went to our contractor, asking for the 20th time if we could move the toilet to yet a different location. At that point, he responded, "We can put your f*#$ing toilet on the moon, if you want, we're just quibbling over the money now." I guess we could all have the garages we want/need; we're just quibbling over the money...

Nick DeSpirito
12-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice stable Nick, I see you have a Gen II Mark VIII a nice mix of old and new and well spread out amongst the years. You somehow skipped the 80's Marks unless you have one tucked away somewhere out of sight. Time for a 20's Mark X AWD?

Remember the one that dies with the most toys wins! ;)

Gord

Gordon,

Unfortunately, I no longer own the '98 Collector's series Mark VIII, but I do have a 1986 Mark VII LSC which is my most favorite car to drive. Has a 5.0 and moves! Best of all, it gets 25 MPG Hwy.

depmike38
12-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Got rid of an 88 LSC last year that I'd had for ten years as a daily driver and began kicking myself about 30 seconds after it was out of sight. It was an excellent ride.

linmk2
12-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Welcome. Even in scale form, a Mark II is well, as Mark II. You don't have to have an actual car to enjoy this forum. Nice to have you here.

Barry Wolk
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Now I'm starting to understand why Barry's favorite film reference is to "The Money Pit." I'm reminded of when my wife went to our contractor, asking for the 20th time if we could move the toilet to yet a different location. At that point, he responded, "We can put your f*# toilet on the moon, if you want, we're just quibbling over the money now." I guess we could all have the garages we want/need; we're just quibbling over the money...

My wife and I built (rebuilt) a 1950s broad-front ranch with our own labor. I worked on it 7 days a week for 2 1/2 years while my wife and I, thankfully, lived elsewhere.

I did not do the concrete or plaster work, but did everything else. To give you a scope of the project we took out 9 30-yard dumpsters.

Glad I did it at 42 as I don't think I'd have the same drive today.

That's why I reference "The Money Pit" a lot. It's so applicable.