PDA

View Full Version : New Member From MI

2MarkIIs
12-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello, My name is David and since October have been a new owner of a few mark IIs. I had been on the hunt for these cars for the past 2 years negotiating back and forth with the owner while finally comming to a close this past fall. The one car overall is very nice condition and is complete but does need a little work to get back on the road mechanical wise. Car is deep blue in color with light blue biscuits and medium blue bolsters, interior has been redone in vinyl through some point in its life. The car does not have air. The other car that i got with it unfortunatly is more for parts. Its black and its an air car. The car is actually i would say around 85-90% complete missing a few trim pieces and hubcaps but car has not been majorly taken apart. Unfortunatly the frame is rotted and also the floor. Sadly enough the blue car sat in the garage while the owner stuck the black air car behind the garage outside for about 7-8 years. Now, i am 23 years old and the gentleman i bought these cars off of was in his 70s and he did not take care of these cars at all. Like i said the blue one is not bad but it was sad to see the black car sitting outside, especially when he told me he drove the car then decided just to park it there. I've been in love with the cars since i first saw one as a teenager and now they are in a better home. I am looking forward to chatting with all the other owners on here, i will have pictures up as soon as i can i know you guys would like to see them.

Shawn Newcomb
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Definitely post pictures when you get a chance. I would like to see plenty of pictures of the black one too. Pictures of rundown cars and all their defects are every bit (or more) as interesting as a shiny finished car. Just look at what's out there for car art. Those pictures of abandoned service stations or fields full of old cars are big business...plus they show construction (or deconstruction as it were) details hidden in the finished product.

If you could post the VIN # for each car many here would be interested and could even look up those cars histories and specs. Plus they are starting a registry or database

Don't feel bad about the black one, look at it this way if that car was kept up you wouldn't have gotten 2 for 1! If the previous owner of mine hadn't neglected it I wouldn't have one at all I didn't have $25,000 for a turnkey driver quality car.

Barry Wolk
12-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Walled lake, that's right around the corner. Come and see me at the shop. I'm always there on the weekends. Hop on M-5 until it turns into Grand River. Make a right on Beech Daly and I'm in the 4th building on your left. I'm keeping the Mark II there this winter as I failed to make it home before the first slathering of salt on our roads.

Welcome to the site!

TulsaMarkII
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the Mark II forums.

We're all a little sad when we hear about a Mark II that's been lost, but on the bright side quite a large percentage of Mark IIs are still around.

But as Barry has said before...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/ttiwwop-1.gif

Jason

2MarkIIs
12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Barry I actually met you a few years ago at Bakers, you may remember. This was right around the time i heard about these two cars and my buddy and I were at bakers and you were there with the mark parked in the main drive. For about 20 min i showed my buddy your car and telling him that i found two cars like this minus them being a convertible obviously. You came up to me and the first thing you said was "do you wanna sit in it?" i said no at first but you insisted and i did and man it felt i sat down a cloud. I was sold. That was pretty cool. You may remeber this. I also told you about the cars i found and right away when i told you the price you said buy them. Well two years later i finally got them.

Jason - Hang tight, my pics are on my brothers camera. As soon as i get them from him theyll be on here.

Nick DeSpirito
12-12-2009, 07:46 PM
David,

Welcome to the forum. Anything we can help you with, just ask. Lots of luck with the Mark II's. I never get tired of looking at pictures of them, so please do post lots of them.

And also, as Shawn mentioned register the VINs on your info page.

Chuck Lutz
12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
David, I'm so happy for you that your persistance paid off after 2 years. I'm also very pleased that a nice young man such as yourself has found the beauty of the Mark II. There are many folks here that are a wealth of information about the car. I hope you have lots of fun working on your car (s). Welcome to the Forum.

Barry Wolk
12-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Barry I actually met you a few years ago at Bakers,

"do you wanna sit in it?" i said no at first but you insisted

I love offering a test-sit for anyone that shows as much interest as you did. Helps to dispel the "snootiness" factor.

2MarkIIs
12-13-2009, 12:40 PM
I love offering a test-sit for anyone that shows as much interest as you did. Helps to dispel the "snootiness" factor.

I was already sold on getting a mark and that just sealed the envelope, i got the pictures im going to try and post them on here. Barry i dont have much going on today if you're going to be around your shop id definitly like to stop by.

Barry Wolk
12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
It's one p.m. now. How soon can you make it?

2MarkIIs
12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Im just finishing up a bite to eat, i can probably be there around 2ish, if you have other plans though by all means go ahead we could always meet up another time

Barry Wolk
12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
2-ish is good. I'll wait for you. The address is 19300. Says Bottom Line on the door. Will be in the back bay.

2MarkIIs
12-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Here are some pics of the cars, i dont have any interior shots but will take some and post those up also. You can see where i found the car sitting behind the garage and the blue one was inside of that garage. I dont know why anyone in their right mind would park a fine drivin mark and let it sit outside for years. also has incorrect lincoln hubcaps on it. That white mark on the blue car is not a scratch just something that got on top of it.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode015.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode018.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode028.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode029.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode027.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode092.jpg

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/Wamel47/morsecode094.jpg

Chuck Lutz
12-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Lucky!!!! You've got 2 pretty nice Babes there.(with all due respect to our female members, and Shirley)
You'll have fun with these two cars.

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Great cars. It was fun meeting with you yesterday. Just a caution, referring to your father as a "really old guy" at 64, may get you punched, once or twice.;)

Thanks for the assist in putting the top up!

Shelly Harris
12-14-2009, 07:55 AM
2MarkIIs:

You are so lucky to have an expert like Barry close by.

What is your plan? Are you going to restore both or what? I would think if the worse of the two is 80-90% that you'd be working on both. Or is #2 your parts car? I know you're young and money is probably tight, but you have the advantage of not being in a rush.... it'll be fun taking your time with the project. What are the interiors like?

Roger Zimmermann
12-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Congratulation for buying two desirable cars at once! I hope you have the possibility to store them in doors.
To Barry and Shelly: boy, you are early birds...on the computer before 7 AM!

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Your time stamp must be off Roger. My post says it was at 7:46. I had just arrived at the office when I posted.

Roger Zimmermann
12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Your time stamp must be off Roger. My post says it was at 7:46. I had just arrived at the office when I posted.
Barry, I cannot change the time shown at the top of each message. However, it depends probably from the location of the server of that forum, plus your own location. Anyway, it's not at all important!

Barry Wolk
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Thought maybe my coffee hadn't had an effect yet. ;)

2MarkIIs
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Great cars. It was fun meeting with you yesterday. Just a caution, referring to your father as a "really old guy" at 64, may get you punched, once or twice.;)

Thanks for the assist in putting the top up!

My pleasure, thanks for having me over. I love that car. And i think the words i said was "my dad is an older guy not really old guy" haha. One thing i forgot to mention to you Barry was that i found these cars just around the corner from your shop at 7mile and Lathers right between middlebelt and inkster. Crazy huh? Roger and Chuck thanks.

Shelly - Not sure yet, defintly going to get the blue car going. Like i said the black car a lot of it is there minus what you see thats missing but the frame and floor is rotted.......bad. I got a line up on a frame but the guy thinks its worth a million bucks and it has been patched if a few areas. The hardest would be pans, either finding a car or fabricating a new set from the other car. The interors are ok need some work here and there but they are both not leather, they have been redone in vinyl at some point in its lfie. Im going to get the blue car running and just enjoy driving it around, and yes money is tight at my age. I was talking with Barry yesterday and i commented i must be one of the youngest or probably the youngest mark ii owner, one who bought with their own money. If all would have went earlier i would have had these cars when i was 21. Im just going to play it by year get the blue car going and see what goes on from there.

Also, both cars are stored indoors.

linmk2
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting pictures of your Marks. Welcome.