PDA

View Full Version : New Member

PoFolk
08-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Just joined, we have had a 1956 Mark II now for about 6 yrs. We got it from the original owner and the car has been in storage since the 70's. All original except for the tires, basicly. Vin C5601501, its stil in the original black paint, and dark grey interior. I think its amazing how well its held up, but climate controlled storage will do that I guess.

A cpl of cell phone pix from last evening.

Barry Wolk
08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Nice car. Welcome to the site.

Matt Cashion
08-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Welcome and please post more pics----

Joseph Stebbins
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard! Quite a nice car - we love pics! Post as many as you want!

PoFolk
08-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks, I will snap some more this weekend. I have some questions about "ITEMS" under the hood. :D example the big box on drivers fender well that looks like a flux capacitor from Back to the Future.

Barry Wolk
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I wonder if that's the auto-dimmer control box.

linmk2
08-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Welcome. welcome, welcome. Your Mark looks great! Barry is correct, that box under the hood could be for the auto headlamp dimmer. Another possibility, a control box for an automatic garage door opener. Does your car have a device sticking up on your to the left of your instrument cluster? If so, your car is equipped with the headlamp dimmer. From what I understand a very rare addition. Barry, any thoughts to how many Marks were equipped with this option? While you are taking pictures, please snap one of the box. Great to have you here.

Barry Wolk
08-20-2011, 02:17 PM
That info should be able to be gleaned for the DSOs as it was never standard equipment. I think I read that the headlight dimmer system already existed and the flat portion of the inner fender was designed to fit that box. It also could have been retrofitted at the dealership. The garage door opener box was on the other fender, from the pictures I've seen.

Barry Wolk
08-20-2011, 02:19 PM
This appears to be what the installation on the dash looks like. It's to the left of the instrument pod.

http://www.markiiforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=401&d=1262124341

Joseph Stebbins
08-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks, I will snap some more this weekend. I have some questions about "ITEMS" under the hood. :D example the big box on drivers fender well that looks like a flux capacitor from Back to the Future.

Could also be an oscillation overthruster but then the cars previous owner would have to be Buckaroo Banzi! (same prop different movies). But that would also make you a physicist, brain surgeon, rockstar, adventurer - pretty nifty iMHO.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.457302,-88.899183

Barry Wolk
08-20-2011, 02:30 PM
You forgot, "Mad Scientist".

Barry Wolk
08-20-2011, 03:07 PM
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1%20Mark%20II%20docs/Scan.jpg

PoFolk
08-20-2011, 03:16 PM
The link below is to a site where I put pictures of the car up at back in 2007. I will take more this afternoon, but for now it will show how the car looked after we took it out of storage. The only thing done since then was replace the tires (those old ones just detreaded when we went to push it around one day) and give it a wash job to remove the years of dust that coated the car.

Enjoy till later tonight!

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Lincoln/Mark_II/1956/11197/

No that is NOT a car lot.... we just like cars and projects!

linmk2
08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Barry, thanks for posting a picture of a Mark II equipped with the dimmer. I have seen drawings, but never seen an actual picture. I just looked at the picture of PoFolk's engine compartment and the "box" is visible. Whatever it is, it appears to be something aftermarket. It does not appear to be a factory install or a dealer install for that matter.

Matt Cashion
08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't see the "electronic eye" to the left of the instrument cluster in the pictures of this great looking car. Could the box under the hood be the home for an engine compartment monkey?:D

Barry Wolk
08-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Upon closer inspection that box is clearly a garage door opener transmitter. The three plastic stand-offs you see hold up a "C" shaped ring. We've seen this on other period cars.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1%20Mark%20II%20docs/1119779112.jpg

PoFolk
08-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info on the mystery box. I assume thats an aftermarket part, not part of the car from the dealer? I did not see an eye on the dash like the one in the picture, and did not see anything else that looked odd on the dash other than 2 toggle type switches under the edge of the dash roughly under the ignition key zone of the dash.

Barry Wolk
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
One switch is for the vacuum operated antenna and I'n not sure what the other is.

I doubt that the dealer installed the GDO. Those were typically installed by the garage door company.

PoFolk
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
great info Barry thanks much!

Yeah the 2 toggles down there are odd, one is a 3 way switch and the other appears to be either a 2 way or/spring loaded that returns on release.

BTW we did crank her up the other night. I was kind of worried about frying the electrical or something on such an old car, so we unplugged the fuses and disconnected the yellow wires down at the voltage regulator. So as to have no other load on the battery during ignition other than cranking and prevent any possible wiring melt down. :) Just never know on an old car if a short or something so i rather play it safe.

She idled on just fine we shut her down after 2 minutes as some small leakage off the fuel pump started. Guess its time to replace those gaskets down there.

linmk2
08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
My Mark has two switches under the dash near the key. One is for the interior lights and the other as stated is for the power antenna.

richroni
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
the 3 way switch does control the interior courtesy lights.
Position x = lights off
Position y= lights on/off with doors open/close
Position z = lights on continuously

PoFolk
08-22-2011, 09:21 PM
good to know info once again thanks much guys!