PDA

View Full Version : Another from TX

5bird7
12-04-2009, 01:05 AM
HI! Just found out about this forum from my brother-in-law so thought I'd join in. We've had our Mark II since '89 in Washington state. moved it down here in 08. Sits in a corner of garage, needing a ton of work but the engine is "new". Apparently rebuilt in 1966 but it never ran, which is why we ended up with it. It went thru a number of owners between that time, none could get it to run. However, spouse is mechanically inclined and found the problem. It had been installed incorrectly and something was hooked over something it shouldn't have been and kept the engine from turning over. He fixed, made sure it would turn over and hasn't been near it since - other projects in the way.

Someday (year? decade?) hope to have it looking like the pictures in the header and a chance to drive it.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/5bird7/markii.jpg

Nick DeSpirito
12-04-2009, 06:35 AM
5Bird7,

Welcome to the forum. I can envision that black beauty of yours all shined up and redone. If you need any help, just ask. We are all eager and willing to help out a fellow Mark II owner. :)

Shelly Harris
12-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Welcome 5bird7...... keep reading the forum daily and you'll be inspired to get that car on the road. It's a shame not to have it up and running. It looks like it could be a real winner.

5bird7
12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
5Bird7,

Welcome to the forum. I can envision that black beauty of yours all shined up and redone. If you need any help, just ask. We are all eager and willing to help out a fellow Mark II owner. :)

:D Thanks for the welcome. Internet and photos can be deceiving. It's cobalt blue.

5bird7
12-04-2009, 12:54 PM
ps - Just noticed that my spouse was using my account to comment so made him join. The handle for 0bird2 belongs to George.

Mad Scientist
12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Nothing wrong with blue.:D
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/mscientist/MKII%20rebuild/F10.jpg

From the picture it looks to be in pretty good shape.
One or two weekends of work and it should be back on the road. :):):)

Barry Wolk
12-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Did you ever see the movie, "The Money Pit"? Everything is "two more week (ends)".

Welcome to the insanity.

5bird7
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Nothing wrong with blue.:D

From the picture it looks to be in pretty good shape.
One or two weekends of work and it should be back on the road. :):):)

lol - no brakes and no interior - well there is some but not ready for occupancy

Chuck Lutz
12-05-2009, 11:38 AM
A big welcome to our new members, 5bird7 and 0bird2. The car looks like lots of fun to restore and to drive. After all, the Mark II has been referred to as a T-Bird on steroids. :D
Let us know how we can help.

linmk2
12-05-2009, 04:03 PM
From one Texan to another, howdy. When I first saw the picture of your Mark, it looks so much like my car. That is, of course, was before I read the post that the car is blue. Mine is black, but no matter, Mark II's look nice in just about any color. Welcome aboard.

5bird7
12-05-2009, 06:48 PM
...After all, the Mark II has been referred to as a T-Bird on steroids. :D

:D Have to agree with that statement. The hardtop looks so much like the hardtops on the little 'birds, one of the reasons I like the design of the Mark.

From one Texan to another, howdy. When I first saw the picture of your Mark, it looks so much like my car. That is, of course, was before I read the post that the car is blue. Mine is black, but no matter, Mark II's look nice in just about any color. Welcome aboard.

and Howdy! back.

TulsaMarkII
12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I've had a number of people mistake my car for a Thunderbird over the years...

I just shake my head... :p

Jason

Shelly Harris
12-06-2009, 09:36 AM
I wince when people mistakenly refer to my car as a "Lincoln".... I immediately correct them and insist they understand it's a "Continental".

0bird2
12-14-2009, 12:18 PM
That is one of my pet "peeves". But most of the world does not know that Continental and Edsel were separate divisions of Ford Motors. But, I just had a call from a friend about something similar. Last week our local little bird group went to a toy drive for a local TV station. It's a drive thru drop. So, we drive up with 7 little birds, a '55 Crown Victoria and a '50 Merc and are on the 6 PM live news. On the 10:00 PM broadcast the news guy shows the cars and says "the CORVETTE CLUB came by with toys". WRONG!! WRONG!!

TulsaMarkII
12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes but even people who should know better because they do even a modest amount of research get it wrong. Sad.

http://www.metalmaket.com/ProductImages/400082304..jpg

5bird7
12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
The really sad part about that is that the first model by Minichamps was brought out for Ford's 100th Anniversary included in a series of Ford autos thru the century:
http://portholeauthority.com/models/cont56/56MCwht100.JPG