PDA

View Full Version : New member of the Forum

Bob Hartman
11-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Dear fellow Mark II enthusiasts:

I can remember setting in the car at the grocery store waiting for my mom to get finished with her shopping. As a child it seemed like it was taking her forever! Suddenly, a car pulled in and parked next to us and I was no longer interested in going home. It was the first time I had ever seen a new Mark II Continental. I still remember that car. It was white with a red and white interior. It was flawless and from that point on I wanted to own a car like that. This would have been 1956 and I had a number of years ahead of me before I would even be able to drive.

To this day I still think the Mark II is one of the most beautifully designed cars ever built. I finally purchased one several years ago. It is a dark Silver and according to the production number one of the final ones built in May 1957. If I am wrong about that please correct me. It has dark grey and light grey interior with the AC option.

My car sat in a garage for many years. When I purchased it I had it taken to a restoration shop in San Diego. I have spent many dollars getting it in running condition (supposedly). I have put in a rebuilt transmission, the brakes have all been rebuilt, new exhaust, rebuilt radiator,etc,etc. and dollars later. The restoration shop went bankrupt so I had to get it away from them and pay money to do it.

I have driven the car only about 3 times and each time it has over-heated. I guess maybe the shop did not do the work on the radiator that I paid for. Who knows at this point? The car now sits at a body shop to have some minor rust worked on and some other minor work done. The hood is not aligned correctly and I have had the bumpers re-chromed. So, you can see that more is to be done on this car.

I saw the advertisement in the Hagerty News for this Mark II Forum. So, over this Thanksgiving Weekend, I signed up. I look forward to getting some good advice from some of you who have had these cars for years. Maybe you can point me in the right direction when I find something else that has gone wrong! Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob Hartman

1957 MK II
C56S3912

Chuck Lutz
11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Bob, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been through the mill but not
to worry. This is the right place to find lots of information and everyone is always willing help. Let's start with a few pictures. The group is pretty visual and loves pictures.
Glad to have you here.

Barry Wolk
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, pictures are an absolute requirement.

First bit of advice. Do your brakes. Spend the money. Best Mark II money you'll ever spend. All very low-tech.

It takes all the pleasure out of driving these beasts if you have to plan on stopping 100 yards from the light.:mad:

Welcome to the site.

Nick DeSpirito
11-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Welcome Bob.

Glad you found us. We are a great bunch of Mark II enthusiasts ready to help a fellow owner, and thanks to Shelly for setting up this forum, we now have a place to congregate and work out our difficulties, so please do ask questions. It would be helpful if you can post pictures of your car, including the engine compartment.

As far as the over heating, it would be helpful if you can tell us what was done. Is the system leaking anywhere? Did they change the water pump? Was the right thermostat installed? Also, did they put a 50/50 mix of anti freeze in the system? My car once over heated due to the fact that I was unknowingly running straight anti freeze in it. That might be your problem.

Barry Wolk
11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Timing can also make an engine run hot. I'd be betting on a plugged radiator.

Bob Hartman
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks Chuck, Barry and Nick. I have a couple of pics of the car up on a tow truck! At least those are on the computer. I have some others somewhere that I provided to Hagerty. I will have to find those. The car is about an hour away. As soon as I make another trip out to see the car I will take a bunch more photos. Thanks again for your interest.

Bob Hartman

linmk2
12-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Hello to you. Looking forward to seeing photos of your Mark II.