PDA

View Full Version : little help please

ALEXPERTKUSTOM
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi i was searching for information on the mark ii so i found this site, and i`m so happy to find more information on this particular beauty, well i do not own a mk ii yet, but i found one on quebec that is in good condition, but needs to be repair, there is not rust on the car the motor works perfectly, but the windows dont work the ac don`t work also the radio don`t work either, but the car is almost complete, so this is the deal, he offer's me the car for 14,000
and for me seems to be a good deal, that`s why i need some advice, here are some pictures of the car. Thank you on advance for your help.
Alex

dgaribay15
11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Tell the guy you'll give him 10 grand. If he says no way, explain that the car needs alot of work. Granted the engine runs fine, but you will spend alot more in the restoration process. The whole idea is to get the car between 12 and 13 grand. Its a buyers market so you should have the advantage. Money saved is money toward the restoration!! But even if your stuck paying 14 grand, your still getting a deal, but I think you can do better. Good luck!

Mad Scientist
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree with dgaribay15.
All the windows not working could be simply a fuse.
The AC may or may not be a simple problem.
The car appears to have been repainted so their maybe hidden rust.:confused: Take ice pick and poke at the chassis to see if there are any weak spots. Also look around the inside of the wheel openings for rust.
Radio not working is not unusual but finding someone to fix it can be a problem.
The chrome rocker panel trim under the door is missing, this can be hard to find.
But in generial from the pictures it look pretty good.

Doc
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm assuming the 14K is Canadian, so it's about $13,000 US, which is not a bad price for a complete car in the apparent condition of the one you're looking at--assuming, as noted above, that the primer's not hiding a ton of bondo and rust and the engine (and transmission) are in good shape. I'd want to drive it--not just hear it run at idle-- before I started calculating costs for restoration. The wheel covers appear to all be there, that's a good thing. The missing rocker trim is a bad thing. Check Mark II Enterprises' website to get a sense of what it may cost to obtain parts as you begin predicting restoration budget.

dgaribay15
11-09-2009, 09:26 PM
might want to take a magnet and check the lower areas around the intire car. Current owner may not be too happy watching you poke at it with a ice pick. Check EVERYTHING! Its a good idea to take someone along. They may see something that you don't.

Chuck Lutz
11-09-2009, 11:32 PM
For what it's worth...
There's a 1956 Mark II package in upstate NY. Car ready to redo and a store room full of NOS and other parts for $10K. Not sure about the car but I've been drooling over the parts for weeks. It's almost winter.. I'm sure he'd like to sell. It has been on craigslist in Saratoga Springs, NY for a while now.
Good luck.

SLK
11-10-2009, 06:30 AM
For what it's worth...
There's a 1956 Mark II package in upstate NY. Car ready to redo and a store room full of NOS and other parts for $10K. Not sure about the car but I've been drooling over the parts for weeks. It's almost winter.. I'm sure he'd like to sell. It has been on craigslist in Saratoga Springs, NY for a while now.
Good luck.

Damn Chuck, why did you have to tell me about that one. My wife will never forgive you.

Chuck Lutz
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Ben,
LOL, I'm just the messenger. Maybe she won't notice you have another car :D.
Too far for me to investigate. Need a partner? LOL

SLK
11-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Ben,
LOL, I'm just the messenger. Maybe she won't notice you have another car :D.
Too far for me to investigate. Need a partner? LOL

She likes to remind me that we have a 3 car garage plus a barn and her car has only been inside to prove that it can be done.

I am only 2 hours away from Saratoga if someone needs me to look at it for them.