PDA

View Full Version : New member

Milsteads Garage
06-23-2011, 06:40 AM
I am a new member to your forums. My name is Morgan Milstead and I am out of Tucson,Az. I currently do not have a mark II but am looking for one here in the near future. The classic cars I do have is a 1959 Continental 2dhtp and a 1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville that I am putting the final touches on after a 4 year restoration. I am looking for a basket case Mark II as my next project.

Barry Wolk
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
There are a few of those out there. However, it is best to buy a complete car, no matter the condition. While there are parts available, they are getting rarer every day.

Welcome to the site.

Pat Marshall
06-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree with Barry. If you are looking for a "basket case" to restore, you should have a bunch of baskets full of money that you are willing to "invest" (notice the italics), then plan to do the work for free and end up with a car worth less that you have "invested".

Best bet is to get a good car that you can enhance a little to make it a great car.

Look for the people who have "invested" $100,000 or so, and will sacrifice their car for a lot less. Let them take the bath - not you.

There are some really good cars for 25k-35k that don't require great effort to finish them off.

NOS Mark II parts are scarce and can be incredibly expensive, proceed carefully.

Welcome to the Forum. These are sensational cars.

If this hasn't changed your mind, we know where some "basket cases" are. (Example-go to the SEARCH Tab and enter 3289 and Search the Threads. Here's a B/C once owned by Milton Eisenhower, brother of the President.)

Matt Cashion
06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Welcome -- I agree with the others as to the "fun" factor ($$$$$) of a basket case project----

Milsteads Garage
06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I have been looking at the car on E-bay that was owned my Milton Eisenhower. The bidding is currently stalled at $5,100. If the timing was right I would go for it. I found one that was on the Hemmings Motor News site for $4,600 but it looked as if it was missing a lot of trim and I missed the contact number as it was taken off the site. In case any of you were wondering I am friends with Axel Holm out of Nogales, I have known him for about 15 or so years now but he won't turn loose of any of his Mark II's but he might turn loose of parts that he has. I am not sure which way I intend to go, I have been thinking about letting go of my other cars to buy a nice one or buying a basket case outright if all the important parts are there. None the less I think this forum would be a good place to start looking.

Barry Wolk
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Tell Axel that our door is always open. What a great resource he would be.

Joseph Stebbins
06-24-2011, 11:15 PM
The person I recently bought mine from still has C56B2235 which she is trying to sell locally here in New Orleans - it has a number of minor scrapes from being parked on the street and being moved into and out of a rather full garage but appears to be fairly worn but complete with AC. I could talk to her if you like.

Mad Scientist
06-24-2011, 11:20 PM
If you re looking to have an all 100% original car then I agree with the others about buying the best that you can find.

However if you are not a perfectionist and are willing to except some changes where necessary then giving a basket case a "second chance at life" could be an interesting project.

Milsteads Garage
06-25-2011, 12:05 AM
If you would like you could ask her about the car. Like I was saying I could jump on a basketcase quickly but one over I would say $5000 would take time and mean my just finished 58 cadillac would end up being put up for sale. I am serious about it, it just means I have to shuffle a little is all.

Milsteads Garage
06-25-2011, 05:51 AM
To answer your question, I am not concerned with originality. One thing Mr. Holm gives me crap about and I am sure some of you may agree with him, I will change the color of a car especially if it is white. Something like Milton Eisenhower's car would have been perfect for me. I will build cars from the ground up with parts from several others. I actually prefer it this way instead of buying something that is already done so when I drive it I can take credit for everything. I suppose this is a disorder of mine stemming from my teenage years when I got my first car, a 64 Continental and for my birthday my mother buying me parts and parts cars to keep it running. But none the less a rough car doesn't scare me. This is the way I would like to go as I don't have 25 to 35K to buy a nice one outright and I cannot bring myself to sacrifice my Cadillac to do it. This is a great site as you guys offer a lot of support to one another and if I am going to find a mark II I believe this is my best chance.

linmk2
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome. Hope you find a Mark II to your liking. I'm a big fan of the 59 Lincoln that you own. The 59 is my favorite model of the three years.

Milsteads Garage
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
The one I have is a 59 2 door hardtop, it is one of 1,703. I have had a bunch of these but they have all been 4 door landau's. It's your typical desert car, nice straight body, engine and trans works but the upholstery is completely shot. I may let this one go to start the mark II fund if someone wanted it but chances are I will never see another one so I am not in too much of a hurry.

Shelly Harris
06-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Please post some pictures of your cars. I'd love to see them.

Milsteads Garage
06-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Milsteads Garage
06-26-2011, 07:16 PM
I just sold my mark IV today, just deposited the $ into the mark II fund :)

Doc
06-26-2011, 11:16 PM
One thing Mr. Holm gives me crap about and I am sure some of you may agree with him, I will change the color of a car especially if it is white.

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of valuable information here as you move forward with your quest and project. Everyone above has given good advice with respect to the pros and cons of buying a project car vs a restored car--and most of them revolve around the cost of an authentic restoration; if you're not focused on that, then the cost factors may not play into your decision quite so strongly.

With respect to the color change, I don't think anyone here would have any problem with that at all--your car, your choice. Even the LCOC doesn't deduct for color changes, as long as the new color is one that was available in the model year of your car's production. But it doesn't sound like you're looking for a fine points judging car anyway, so the choice is entirely up to you.

Good luck in your search; I'm sure your car is waiting out there somewhere.

Don Keller
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hello Morgan,

It's apparent that you appreciate the challenges of a ground up restoration and that's what you want and intend to do. I just encourage you to do your absolute best to only pay what your project car is worth. I have no doubt that you can find a disabled Mark II with close to 90% of the original parts and without disasterous rust damage for $7,500. I think that is your intention. You could buy one that looks pretty good for $25,000 and spend just as much on the restoration. Everything is in a hurry to go "from dust to dust," and Mark IIs are certainly no exception. I have noticed that even the Category 1 cars with low mileage and professional restorations keep their owners busy. No knock on the cars, restorers, or owners... just part of the fun I guess. Anyway, you will be able to find the parts you need (perhaps with much effort). If you stick with it, you will have a car that you are proud of, and, like you indicated, that you are responsible for...good or bad. Of course, like some others said, you probably won't make money off the car. But, if our goal were to make money, we'd be much further ahead by emptying trash at Mickey D's in the evenings for minimum wage.

Before anyone jumps bad, I'm not disagreeing with any of the other comments. If you were looking for a driver or mild restoration, my suggestions would be greatly different. To personally do a successful major restoration of a Mark II requires many commitments and abilities...with a sprinkel of insanity. But, many on this site have done it. I commend them and you. Good luck with your hunt and project!

Don Keller
C56R3838
Jackson, TN