PDA

View Full Version : New Member

rodpro
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Hello all!

I have been a closet admirer of this marque since I was a teenager. However, it was only about 10 years ago that I realized exactly what I had been admiring.

I have a very close friend who mentioned to me that he had one "out in the old barn". He had bought it when he got out of the Navy in 1957. I have finally convinced him to let me have it. It is ROUGH to say the least, not having been roadworthy since the late 60's; I have resurrected worse.

I only have cell phone pictures for today, I will take a proper camera and lighting out to the farm over the weekend and get better ones.

The vitals from the tag are:

SERIAL NO. C56F3072
BODY SPECIF. 01 5E4L 418 2

Regards,

Terry

Doc
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Welcome. You've come to the right place, judging by the project you apparently have before you. While the pictures are a bit rough, it looks like most of the critical stuff is there--although it looks like the hub cabs might be gone; hopefully they're in the trunk--and that's always the key issue on restoring a Mark II. The more complete the car, the greater the likelihood of success. Can't wait to see it when the dust is gone.

Barry Wolk
10-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the insanity, Terry.

Shelly Harris
10-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Welcome Rodpro.... please keep us informed on your progress as we all get a vicarious kick out of everyone's restoration!

Nick DeSpirito
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Terry,

Welcome home and good luck with the restoration. Know that we are here to support you. :)

depmike38
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
:DWelcome aboard, good to have you here.

vancec
10-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Welcome!

Get out some soap and water, take some pictures and let's see what we're dealing with here!

Chuck Lutz
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Welcome Terry,
I'm sure in the not to distant future you will be pulling these pictures out to show friends in total disbelief. Buckle up and hang on. Let us know how we can help.

SLK
10-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Welcome Terry.

Can't wait to see more pictures.

linmk2
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Welcome. Your Mark looks like you have a good base on which to start. Good luck. There are so many people on this forum that can provide information during your restoration project.

rodpro
10-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry to have taken so long to update, here are a few more pictures. It will likely be a few weeks before I can get it all moved out of there.

I've made up a quick little spreadsheet to decode a basic VIN, it's zipped up at the bottom of the attachments.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I hope I can help some of you out, too.

This is starting to get exciting!

Terry

Chuck Lutz
10-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Terry, I don't understand the tag decoder.. ?? Give me a hint please.

My friend, you have a very daunting project at hand. Thanks for the photos.

Barry Wolk
10-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I understand insane projects, believe me. This is one, for sure. I'm not saying it's not doable, I'm just saying you need to assess some things before you go headlong into a project like this. Did you ever see the movie, "The Money Pit"?

Before you make any plans for this car you need to inspect the frame. If it's gone, which could be likely due to the high level of rust, it's a parts car. Without the structural integrity of the frame, nothing will ever line up.

Do not go into this project blind. Do your homework.

If you do go forward I encourage you to document every step of the process. I did that while building my car hauler. If you have an insane amount of spare time, click here:

http://cardomain.com/ride/340096/5

Nick DeSpirito
10-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree. Looks like the motor's out of the car too. Looks like it needs everything. If the frame is solid, are you able to do a lot of the work yourself?

Chuck Lutz
10-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Terry, The man knows what he speaks. LOL, The car hauler saga is well worth the visit.

Mad Scientist
10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
These pictures show that as you mentioned it is in rough shape. I would agree.
It looks like someone started to work on it and then stopped. From what I see the engine is out and in pieces, transmission is out, is the honey comb grill still there? The front fender needs some major surgery; do you have the headlight bezels? I would assume that there is not much left of the interior. Resurrecting this beast will be a mammoth undertaking and not something for the faint hearted. Here are some things you might want to consider.

Are you comfortable wearing the different hats required to bring her back to life, mechanical, bodywork, electrical, interior, painting, etc.? Do you have friends who can be persuaded to help?:D
Mainly what is your end goal?
Do you want it to look just like the day it rolled out of the factory or would having a good looking driver be OK?:confused:

Personally depending on how many parts are missing and unless you have an unlimited bank account and money is no object, plus the patience of a saint, I would not try to get it back to totally stock. Even at that it will be a time consuming project.

In this case I would consider just getting it back on the road and “looking good” to be a praise worthy accomplishment. I would hate to see it wind up as just a parts car.

vancec
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
If the frame is solid and the body is repairable with some patch panels then you can start to calculate what parts you are missing and pricing them. Off the cuff, I'd say you'll have more into it than you could buy a decent, running Mark II.

That said, I am going way out on a limb here... I love restored classics but I also love rods and customs. How about you? There are a lot of people out there (check out the H.A.M.B.) who's dream it is to build a custom Mark II. I know it's sacrilege to suggest but I am one of them who's dreamed about shaving/chopping and modifying a Mark and building it into a super fast custom.

Either way, you are going to need a very rich and very sick uncle! Seriously, crunch the numbers then double it.

Good luck and you can count on every one of us here for help.

Chuck Lutz
10-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Terry, I don't understand the tag decoder.. ?? Give me a hint please.

Nevermind.. My colors were off on XL at my office. Cool little tool, thanks.

vancec
10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Terry,

Worst case scenario is if the car would cost too much to restore, you do have a bundle there in parts. If your friend gave you the car, you can always part it out on ebay and have real nice start on the price of another Mark II.

rodpro
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Negotiations with the management have concluded: she gets a new kitchen now and I get a new 30' x 50' in the spring.

This will be the first car I will be able to do at home, no paint booth, but I'll be at home. I do pretty much all my own work, although I may get someone else to paint this one.

The car had been sent out to a very high profile shop in the early 90's to be restored. That's where the windshield got broken and the car got drug back home and put in the barn.

I am just finishing the transmission on his Brush then I will be able to start inventorying and documenting the situation. His son told me a dirty little tale about 2 bins of new parts stored in the document archive, including new wheel covers. I will bring a bottle of scotch with me when I go out there this weekend...

It won't be a 100% restoration or a trailer queen; I'm a big fan of fuel injection, 4 wheel disc brakes and overdrive transmissions. I guess it will just look like a 56 Mark when it's done.

That's about it for now, I'm off to router up some drawer fronts...

Terry

Mad Scientist
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
It won't be a 100% restoration or a trailer queen; I'm a big fan of fuel injection, 4 wheel disc brakes and overdrive transmissions. I guess it will just look like a 56 Mark when it's done.

Terry

Nothing wrong with that. I did something similar with mine.
You can check out
http://markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=226
to see what I did and maybe get some ideas.