PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Chuck Lutz
08-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh Man, am I glad I found you all. I just purchased my first MkII 2 weeks ago and have been researching them like a mad man. Thanks Barry for your many facts and helping me find this forum. I became interested in the cars through one of my good friends that own 2 Mk IIs. One of his cars has just been completed and modified to a convertible.
My first thought upon hearing his plan was critical because I thought it should be left alone but he told me that the car was a "barn find" of sorts, years ago and the roof was in very poor condition anyway. Iím going to have to get him on here too.
My car is in, what I would call very good condition. I have some leaks in all the appropriate areas that will need to be addressed but as near as I can tell it's been well cared for. I received many items in a folder in the trunk (collector car auction) that detailed most of the lineage including the original owners (Jacuzzi Bros.) and lots of local California history. It seems as though the car has always been in California. At one point it was owned by Neil Young. Many of the service work orders in that time were made out to the Broken Arrow Ranch, Neilís place in Northern California.
I look forward to talking and learning from all of you.
Best regards, Chuck

Shelly Harris
08-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Glad to have you here Chick. How did you find us? (Always interested in knowing so I can continue to promote the forum. We're only two months old) Get your friend to join up too!

Nick DeSpirito
08-31-2009, 08:22 AM
Chuck,

Welcome to the forum. Your car was delivered new to Uptown Motors in Oakland. Very nice car.

Chuck Lutz
08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Nick, Yes it was! I have the paperwork (Yellow warranty sheet) showing that it was sold by Uptown Motors to the Jacuzzi Bros. Do you have a book that shows this? Or is my car like my old girlfriend.. been to all the dances with all the guys before me :D?

Nick DeSpirito
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL Chuck! No, your car is not a floozie.

Yes, the info on most of the Mark II's is in a book called the Mark II Encylopedia which was published some time in the nineties and unfortunately is now out of print.

Ian Cowie
08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
So how would I track down the history of my car?
All I know is the VIN and the other numbers 14-1L6H-105-11.
Nothing on the tranny hump plate other than "Continental"
I have emailed Benson Ford Research requesting a copy of the invoice.
"The BFRC has received your e-mail request for information. E-mails are answered in the same order in which they are received. Please allow at least three weeks for a more complete response. Thank you for your patience. We will get back to you as soon as we possibly can."
I have ordered a tech manual and it is backordered .... so at this point documentation = zero. Well, I actually have the little hardcovered owner's manual!
Ian

Barry Wolk
08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
If there's nothing on the plate it was likely a dealer stock order. Believe me, original owners would have jumped at the chance to have their name engraved on their car.

Chuck Lutz
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Re: The Continental Mark II Encyclopedia, Last week (before I found you guys) I emailed the auther C. Micheal Black in Texas asking if there was a chance he could point me in the direction to purchase the book. I was hoping he was going to tell me that they could run off a few more copies.. you know like the do with the War and Peace. Today I get a note back from him explaining:

Afternoon, Mr. Lutz:

Thank you for your interest in the Continental Mark II Encyclopedia. All of the editions of the Encyclopedia have sold out, for some years now. I heard that, from time to time, some have surfaced on the Internet; but, they sell for high prices - $425.00!! Try eBay.

Good Luck.

cmb

Oh well, I tried.

Don Henschel
08-31-2009, 10:57 PM
EEEK! Thats alot more than I paid for "The Continental Story" in perfect condition still in its cardboard shipping box.

Nick DeSpirito
09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
At the time I bougfht mine, the LCOC was selling them. Had I known, I would have bought more. My Wheaten Terrier, Duncan ripped the cover off mine. I had him chained up in the driveway while I was working on my car. I had the book on top of a 5 gal. pail next to the garage door, and went in the house for a minute. When I came back, I found the cover torn off. Here's a picture of the little rascal.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3240/2844329776_e26fd59711_m.jpg

Chuck Lutz
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Looks harmless enuf. So you didn't try to recover the lost pages a day or two later? LOL

Barry Wolk
09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
This too, shall pass.:rolleyes:

Nick DeSpirito
09-01-2009, 11:36 AM
LOL Barry. He didn't eat it, he just tore it off.

linmk2
09-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Interesting history. I guess many Mark II's have some "history" behind them since they were priced higher than many houses at the time. I know nothing about the history of my car. I bought it in the early 1980's, beyond that, that is about all I know. The Continental nameplate on the floor does read A.E. Morgan. Famous or important, I haven't a clue. Welcome and thanks for posting the interesting facts about your car.

Doc
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I attended the Newport Beach, CA, concours yesterday. There was one Mark II there, a dark metallic blue with A/C. The owner was not around the car while we were there; I wrote down the name, but unfortunately now can't find the card, so don't know if they're a forum member or not. In any case, as we were looking at the car, it appeared that there was some small engaving on the carpet name plate, below the Continental script, but the windows were up and, with the glare, I couldn't tell if it was really engraving or just a scratch (or even just a shadow).

Our car has the stock plate with just the Continental script. Anyone got a picture of an original name plate with the owner's name engraved as they were delivered? Were the names engraved at the factory or were they delivered with blank plates and done when they arrived at the dealers? Were they all done in the same font, etc. or did the engraved plates vary according to owners' wishes?

Doc
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
linmk2 - just to add to your intrigue--A.E. Morgan was president of Antioch College prior to being appointed to chair the TVA. He then got caught up in some controversy with FDR over the direction of the TVA. I think there's more to the story, but that's all I recall. In any case, look up the history of the TVA, I'm sure you can find more about him.

Now, did THAT A.E. Morgan own your Mark II...good question, but why not assume it was him?

Barry Wolk
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Our car has the stock plate with just the Continental script.

Your car was early production and was most likely an "Introductory Unit", destined to sit on the showroom floor until the pipeline was filled. There would have been no name on the plate.

Another thing that leads me to believe its an IU is that it originally was black with no air conditioning. Every IU I've seen has been black with no air. There were about 300 made. All of those numbers were missing from the Invoices as there weren't any, as the cars belonged to Ford.

Doc
10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Barry - you're correct. Our car was an "introductory unit" and it was to be the first delivered to San Diego. My parents had previously corresponded with Ford and had committed to buy the first available Mark II (sight unseen). They were even on the list and received a copy of the press release (which I have) when Ford first announced the car. So, they took the first introductory unit when it arrived in San Diego. The car was shown at an invitation only "premier" on Thursday, before the Mark II was formally placed on sale on Friday, it then sat on the showroom over the weekend and they took delivery on Monday.

So, it came with the Continental script plate, even though it was already "spoken for" when it was delivered. I'm just curious to see what the engraved plates look like (and to see if they were done consistently at the factory or varied by dealership). Jack has the plates available, new and used, but I believe they're all with the Continental script. What I'd like, of course, is to get a blank plate and correctly engraved it with my dad's name, if I can find the right font, size, placement, etc.

Barry Wolk
10-05-2009, 06:39 PM
I believe the name was engraved under the script.

Doc
10-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I believe the name was engraved under the script.

Which would match what I believed I saw on the Mark II at the show this weekend.

Matthew
10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Doc et. al.-
My Mark II has the original owners name engraved below the Continental script, as mentioned above by Barry. It's in 'BLOCK' letters, kind of like what you would see on a trophy. I believe it's positioned to the right lower corner of the plate...(I know it's not in the center of the plate). I also think it's the first initial of the owner's name, followed by the full last name. I will try to remember to get a picture and post it.
Cheers-

Doc
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Doc et. al.-
I will try to remember to get a picture and post it.

Matthew - I appreciate the information and would love to see a picture. Anyone else got a picture of their engraved name plate? Thanks.