PDA

View Full Version : 3391 Don Henschel

Don Henschel
08-27-2009, 03:50 PM
A big hello to everybody from way up north!
I am the proud owner of a 56 Mark II C56K3391 and have owned it since 1993. It was ordered two tone with deep green upper, medium green lower, with A/C. The car was then shipped to Albuquerque, New Mexico September 26 1956. This is all I know about the car other than what is mentioned on the factory dealer invoice. The price and purchaser are blocked out. I found out about this forum yesterday:p: and it's great having one just for this car! I will try to post pictures later on!

Nick DeSpirito
08-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Welcome Don!

We are fellow two-tone owners. Mine is deep gray poly upper and white lower. I think we are the only two-tone owners registered here. Since they only made around 54 total for both model years, I often wonder how many survivors are left, as I'm sure you do too.

I'd love to see pictures of your car when you have time to post them. They blocked the price out on all of the invoices. I will look and see if I can find the original owner's name of your car when I get home tonight.

Don Henschel
08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Nick!
Mine was missed by Buddy Holiday, possibly due to an incorrect VIN plate?. It only shows 16 on it while the factory invoice shows two tone. When I pointed this out to him a number of years ago, I could hear in the background a filing cabinet drawer come flying open, frantic rustling of papers, and then "well I'll be damned, I missed one"! I will never forget that! As it was I though this car was supposed to be one color when the body shop stripped the paint. A few days later my copy of the invoice showed up in the mail, and panic set in! Luckily there were traces of paint where the windshield goes for a match! I'm not too happy with the present paint job, and havn't completed assembly (no headlights, or fender emblems installed, and the interior is partialy dismantled), as I am looking for someone better to redo it.

Barry Wolk
08-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I know of another two-tone right here in Farminton Hills. It's a shame. They never drive their best car.

http://www.michiganlcoc.org/gallery/albums/EdMeurerCollection/res_1330578469.jpg

Welcome to the site.

Nick DeSpirito
08-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Don,

What a gorgeous car you have. I've never seen that color combo. You'll eventually get it to where you want it to be. These cars are a bear to restore and the parts are very dear. Just take your time.

Barry, is that deep and medium gray? It's in nice shape too. That would be an 11/18 paint code.

Don, here's my car at a recent local car show.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/JLRVCCA/2009%20FL%20show%20images/0051.JPG

It has a 1B6L interior. All white leather seating surfaces with deep gray welting and deep gray carpet and dash. The door panels are deep gray with white inserts. It has that "country club" look.

linmk2
08-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Welcome aboard. Great color combo!

Don Henschel
08-27-2009, 11:49 PM
As for the comment of "What a gorgeous car you have" I would say the same for yours and other members cars on this forum!Thanks for the welcome as well as the compliments!
I saw a picture of one like mine awhile ago and the latest authenticity manual, they show all the two tone combos and I think there were 9 or 10 serial numbers listed with the 05/16 with my serial number missing. I thought about the VIN plate, but looking at my copy there is no indication of whats on the plate, just 05-16 3J2F hand written on the bottom of the invoice beside AC. How they came up with these numbers is a mystery to me other than looking at each and every invoice.

Nick DeSpirito
08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Don,

The 5/16 is the two paint code numbers. The 3J2F is the code for your interior. 3 = your interior consists of Matelasse biscuits, J = The biscuits are deep green, 2 = The bolsters are medium green leather, F = The welting is deep green leather. Does your VIN plate on the driver's door jamb read 5/16?

I have the Mark II Encyclopedia in front of me and your car is clearly listed as a two tone and equipped with air conditioning. It was delivered new to J. P. Davidson Motor Company in Albuquerque, Mew Mexico.

I can't find your VIN # on the list of original owners. Do you have a plate on the carpet just below the heat and A/C console with a name? Also, where did you obtain your copy of the factory invoice? I got mine from the Henry Ford Museum and the original owner's name was not blocked out.

Barry, you have the second edition of the Encyclopedia. Could you check yours for the original owner of Don's car when you get a chance?

Barry Wolk
08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
That's a real PITA, Nick. The names are listed alphabetically, not by serial number. There would be 3,000 names to search.

Best bet is to contact the Benson Ford Research Library at The Henry Ford. For $20 they will pull the file card and copy it for you. The records at the Benson Ford are the Production Orders, not the invoices.

Nick DeSpirito
08-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I know Barry. They set up the list all wrong. They should have listed everything by VIN #'s instead of the way they did. The dealers and most of the owners probably aren't around anymore. And if you want to research a car, most of the time, all you have is the VIN to work with. It literally took me 45 minutes to go through the list to find the dealer's name and scan the original owner's list (twice) to no avail.

Don's VIN is missing from the Authenticity manual's two-tone list. I think they are going to print on a new set of them. I will inquire at the board meeting in Lancaster.

Keith W Colonna
08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Group,
I have a second edition of the Mark II encyclopedia. I didn't find K3391 under the Original Owners list. I found 92 and 93 and total of 19 in the K series. K3391 is listed under the production codes confirming the paint and trim.
Michael Black the editor has not posted on this list I noticed, and although we have spoken, he gather he is still very busy in his working life.

Don Henschel
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi Keith,
When was this edition printed? I have to look around (through boxes thanks to an extensive renovation!) for what I have, which is an authenticity manual, not the encyclopedia. It was the one with plastic inlays etc. showing paint codes with paint chips, and of course the serial numbers. Is mine listed as a 2 tone? When I mentioned this to Buddy, it was a few years before his death. I think this manual I have (the first edition?)was just printed with Jacks name:rolleyes: on the front cover.

Nick DeSpirito
08-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Don,

It's not listed in the authenticity manual, but it is listed in the Encyclopedia. However, it is not on the list of the original owners. I have no idea why. I suggest you call the Henry Ford Museum and get another copy of you factory invoice. Do you have a rug plate in front of the A/C controls? If so, is there a name engraved on it?

Don Henschel
08-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry! I went to the last page and missed your previous reply. That would be too easy! My floor plate on the carpet just below the console reads "Continental". MY VIN plate is as follows Body: 16-3J2F-K17-2
Type:TT-60A
This is why I thought it was a mono-tone, as well as a lousy magazine article that stated they never came with two tone. Talk about poor researching prior to writing & printing! I got my copy from Jack Rosen. I wish I had that list and that encyclopedia but I heard it was no longer available. I contacted Ford a year ago and they told me they destroyed all records prior to 1967. I guess their give a damn is busted!:mad:

Don Henschel
08-28-2009, 04:45 PM
This is all I have is this invoice. The previous owner was well into his 80's when I bought it from him, and he had it for 26 years. Of that it sat for 19 years without the key ever turned in storage. When I got it it had 2 broken push rods due to badly siezed valves of which could not be freed up till I pulled the heads,and a lousier paint job than whats on it now. Like myself he hated the paint job and stuffed it away. I only have 150+ miles on it since 1993:o and only drive it a couple of miles per year. The odometer shows 55,975 and the former owner couldnt say if that was original, but when I rebuilt the power train, the wear was comparable to a low mile unit. The transmission shop said the same thing about the tranny. The bands were worn from lack of proper maintanance, but the rest had no wear to speak of. Even the interior shows minimal wear except the stitching on the seats is falling apart in places. I will be doing more with it from now on with the help and info from this site!

Nick DeSpirito
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Don,

Like Barry said your best bet is to contact the Benson Ford Research Library at The Henry Ford Museum. For $20 they will pull the file card and copy it for you. The records at the Benson Ford are the Production Orders, not the invoices. Plus, ask them where you can obtain a copy of the invoice for your car.

I have both for my car and if I remember correctly, I called the Henry Ford Museum and ordered the invoice and the original owner's name is on it.

Ford can't help you with these papers, like you found out. They weren't destroyed, they were turned over to the museum.

As far as your data plate, the only thing I can think of is that they made a mistake and corrected it on the invoice, but not the data plate.

Don Henschel
09-03-2009, 11:35 PM
This isn't looking very good. Would I be correct in assuming this? I received this yesterday. The list of 1956 Mark II's only goes up to J3348

Barry Wolk
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Yours might be filed with the '57s. It's worth a call. They will look for no charge, I believe. If they won't I'd drop by there and look it up for you. It's 15 minutes from my shop.

Don Henschel
09-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Many thanks Barry. According to what they sent me: 624, boxes 43A-E Lincoln Mark II 1956 only C56-7-980 to C56-J-3348

A17-H-3-4 (order sheet many missing)
The Notepad file I posted above used to a Benson Ford Research Center E-mail. It was PDF format so I converted it to a simple Notepad format at lower resolution. Otherwise its word for word. In my original e-mail I gave them my serial number as C56K3391 and this is what they sent me.
As for the order sheet, how does it compare to the so called dealer invoice I got?

Barry Wolk
09-05-2009, 07:28 AM
This is mine:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1%20Mark%20II%20docs/Jan3101.jpg

Don Henschel
09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks very much for the info and help! It's back to work I go back to the Alberta Tar sands (as long as Obama doesnt shut us down:p) to work on the big Tonka toys

Pat Marshall
09-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Don, here is the Registry History Link for 3391.

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=20765#post20765

Previously in this thread you posted that the prior owner had the car for 26 years. Please reveiw the Registry ownership history. (L) means that the information is from LCOC Directories or other LCOC sources. (D) means that the information was from Lowell Domholdst's records.

Don Henschel
09-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the updated info! I guess I was way out on how long Gord Nixon owned the car. The only information on who owned this car was provided to me by Jim Ayres Linc64. All he had was listed in the '76-'77 LCOC Directory with Bill Kaiser of New Mexico as the owner. It wasn't in the '73- '74 directory.
Until now this is all I had for information on this car. There was probably another owner before Gord from 1979-1981 and Gord may have mentioned a name to me but after almost 20 years:confused: all I can remember was the mention of an owner working for the infamous IRS:eek:. For now I wonder who was 1956-?? John McCormack?