PDA

View Full Version : Great to be here

Bob smith
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I have been with the forum since Jan. but have not been able to get my intro posted so I'm trying again. I was eight when I saw my first MK which was in 1956. I had many favorite cars at that age but when our neighbor brought home that car it was beyond any car rush I had experienced. The feeling never left me. I am grateful for the hard work and creative effort that putting this forum together has taken and am constantly amazed at the information that members have. Will be posting some pics when help is available for me to do so. Thanks forum members!

Shelly Harris
04-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Welcome Bob.... Do you have a Mark II now?

linmk2
04-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Welcome. I too saw my first Mark II at an early age. It belonged to the president of a local bank. Every time I went to the bank with my dad, I looked for the car. If it was there, I ran over to it and my dad would pick me up so I could look inside. I knew I would own a car like that someday. Guess what? I do!

Pat Marshall
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Bob, I have this in my records for your car -

2010-11 Ernest Etheridge & Robert Smith CA (L)(M)

and this notation from Registery Administrator Ian Cowie -

64. C56N3489 Posting on 21 May 2007 by a Tony Tierno stating “black (originally white) exterior with red interior trying to determine if a 1956 or 1957 – production probably in 1956”

I don't what the source of Ian's entry was.

Do you have any other historical information on your car?

Barry Wolk
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the site.

Bob smith
04-07-2011, 03:01 AM
I do have some additional info Pat, which I think is curious. The identification tag is missing some information. I will be back in Anderson County tomorrow and relay that. I can tell you that the car should be white with a green interior, it has a 140 speedometer, 57 air cond., 57 carb., and 57 frame. The car was redone many, many years ago but needs new paint and interior. The car runs and drives really well and is really straight and totally rust free. Get to you tomorrow with tag info.

Bob smith
04-07-2011, 03:27 AM
I did buy the car from Tony Tierno. He inherited the car from his father who had owned the car since the early 70's, I believe 72, and it had been in Las Vegas all that time. His dad parked it in a steel storage bldg.,in 1983, where it sat baking in the heat year after year until Tony brought it to So Cal in 2007. He had no info. previous to his dad owning the car.

Don Keller
04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Bob,

You are fortunate to have a car from an arid climate like that in Nevada. We still live part time in Colorado and it still amazes me to see old cars that have been sitting outside in a field for seventy years and have very little rust. It's almost impossible to work up a sweat out there. I guess the snow just evaporates rather than oxidize. Maybe the close proximity of the sun assists too. Anyway, California cars get the publicity, but IMO you can't beat one from the high altitude arid southwest.

Don Keller
C56R3838
Jackson, TN

Bob smith
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
But thank God some guy's are committed to restoring those cars from the rust belt. Colorado cars are real treasures with their lack of rust which is amazing considering the snow. I have two more cars that were sold new in So Cal and you can put a wrench on any bolt and spin them off with ease. I am back in Anderson County this evening and looked at the tag on the MK. For record keeping purposes the The "Body Specification" reads 14-IM6E and the month, day and rotation number were never stamped on the tag.

Dan
04-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Bob,
I'm glad to find someone else's spec plate is missing production date info.
It was a real mystery for me.
Mine also has body spec info with no production date.

Pat Marshall
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Bob, I have posted what I have on your car on the Registery. Please let me know if you have anything to add or have any changes to make. You can do that in this thread. Thanks