PDA

View Full Version : 1361 old newbie from socal

budster
03-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Hello all, new guy here! I have a 1956 Continental Mark II that needs to have the passenger side window replaced (I have the new window) and also the drivers door no longer opens (I think something broke inside). I am looking for a reputable shop close to Simi Valley, CA. Can anyone help?

Doc
03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the Forum.

Replacing the broken window is a relatively straightforward job. The stuck door, not so much...check out a thread in the Forum on the "one door coupe syndrome" that addresses my problem with a stuck door. The culprit tends to be the star wheel mechanism on the door that gets out of alignment as its bearings wear out over time (why this problem is more common on the more-frequently used driver's side). If it gets sufficiently out of alignment it can get stuck in the catch. Fast Ed--something of a local legend in the So Cal hot rod scene--fixed my door. He's in Gardena, not real convenient to Simi Valley, but he's got experience in the problem. Mark II Enterprises has the replacement star-wheel mechanism.

And let me be the first to say it, post pictures of your car--we all love to see each others' Mark IIs.

Pat Marshall
03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
We would appreciate your VIN so we can add it to the Registery. Thanks, welcome to the Forum. (you've got me by 2 months).

Rick Payton
03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
On your door if you have an early car you latch can't be rebuilt. If it is a later car no problem... Right now Jack is out of stock, I am going to send him mine to rebuild and probably my spare as well. If you are going to send in yours let me know he wanted to do 2 at one time so lets send them at the same time.. that way I don't have to have my car down for too long.

budster
03-17-2011, 10:43 PM
On your door if you have an early car you latch can't be rebuilt. If it is a later car no problem... Right now Jack is out of stock, I am going to send him mine to rebuild and probably my spare as well. If you are going to send in yours let me know he wanted to do 2 at one time so lets send them at the same time.. that way I don't have to have my car down for too long.

the hard part of sending in the latch is to first get the door open :mad:

budster
03-17-2011, 10:45 PM
We would appreciate your VIN so we can add it to the Registery. Thanks, welcome to the Forum. (you've got me by 2 months).
first I have to find the title. It's in storage as I am getting ready to move, I'll try to find it Sunday.

linmk2
03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Welcome. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here to help you do just about any sort of repair. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Mark.

budster
04-30-2011, 06:55 PM

Pat, my vin # is C5691361

After checking out the codes my car seems to be all original. I received a new passenger window and need to get that installed, then tackle the drivers door which wont open, give it a good cleaning, shine it up and then sell it.

Jerry

Pat Marshall
05-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Pat, my vin # is C5691361

After checking out the codes my car seems to be all original. I received a new passenger window and need to get that installed, then tackle the drivers door which wont open, give it a good cleaning, shine it up and then sell it.

Jerry

Jerry, we have no previous history on this car. No you know who the prior owners were or anything about its past? I have posted a thread for 1361 in the Registery History.

budster
05-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Jerry, we have no previous history on this car. No you know who the prior owners were or anything about its past? I have posted a thread for 1361 in the Registery History.
Pat, as far as I know I am the third owner. The original owner lived In Santa Barbara, CA and traded the car for construction work being done on her house. The same contractor worked on my house and saw my '59 Corvette and really wanted it so we worked out a deal and he took the Vette and I got the Mark II. He only had the car for about 3 months, put new tires on it, had the brakes all re-done, changed all the fluids, Oil, trans, rear end, etc. It runs good, stops good, looks good. I don't have the details on the original owner, her husband died and the car sat in her garage for years as she didn't like driving it as it was too big........