PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Gary Oligny
08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

I was pleasantly surprised to see this forum and look forward to getting to talk to some fellow Mark 2 owners. My Mark 2 has been in my family since 1966 when my Dad, Reg bought it from a Calgary Alberta car dealer. I grew up always knowing this car was something special, and now I can't believe its mine. I have to restore it from the ground up as the years have really taken its toll on it. I know its going to be an huge and expensive undertaking, but it has to get done. Its nice to see some finished Mark 2s, its helping to motivate me to get started. I look forward to getting to know some of you, maybe seeing you at a meet once I'm done.

Gary

Barry Wolk
08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
You came to the right place.

Just out of curiousity, what did your dad pay for the 10 year old Mark II?

Welcome to the site.

Gary Oligny
08-19-2009, 11:12 PM
He paid 5,000 and it had probably around 30,000 miles on it, it has about 60,000 now. My folks were not too wealthy, and that would have been a lot for them back then. My Dad had a few lincolns, but always wanted a Continental, so he found the money somehow when he had the chance to finally buy one. He used to always talk about the mechanics illustrated road test that Tom McCahill wrote. I think his favorite line in the write up was
" The Mark 2 cornered like a fat lady on roller skates "

Nick DeSpirito
08-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Welcome Gary. Good luck with the restoration. Post some pictures of it when you get time.

Gary Oligny
08-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I will add some pics sometime for sure.

linmk2
08-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Nice to have you on the forum. Always remember your car is never, ever restored, there is always something to keep you busy. It's great that the car has been in your family for so long.