PDA

View Full Version : Proper engine paint colors/gloss

creeves
07-08-2023, 07:26 AM
I find myself needing to rebuild my engine. During the rebuilding process I want to refresh the engine by having it painted the proper colors/gloss. Mine is a 56 and I see some engines with a block colored manifold and some with a black intake manifold. So, a couple of questions, if you could help, I would appreciate it.

1. Should a 56 have the intake painted the same as the block?
2. Air cleaner- gloss black or semi-gloss black, if know the percentage of gloss if semi-gloss
3. Accessories like power steering pump, same gloss level as the air cleaner?
4. Radiator- same gloss level as the air cleaner?
5. Fuse block cover- same gloss level as the air cleaner
6. Windshield washer bottle holder- should it be black or natural metal- if black same gloss level as the air cleaner?

Thank you in advance!

Barry Wolk
07-08-2023, 08:43 AM
You need an Authenticity Manual. This is all called out. Only the engine block and pan are gold. Everything else is gloss black unless the car has a/c. If it has a/c the gold oil dip stick is replaced with a gloss black one.

Washer bottle holder is plated zinc.

creeves
07-08-2023, 09:05 AM
Thank you Barry- with your recommendation I ordered the Authenticity Manual. Thanks for explaining the intake coloring. When I was searching for mine, I was only focused on air cars, so I was confused when I saw pictures online of the black manifolds, not realizing they were non-A/C cars.

Barry Wolk
07-08-2023, 10:03 AM
You misunderstood. The manifolds were all black. The only difference on an air car is the oil dip stick tube. It had to be changed at the Continental plant to accommodate the position of the a/c compressor..