PDA

View Full Version : 1881-New member in Cumming, Georgia

JeffBagley
09-14-2010, 09:56 PM
I just recently purchased a 1956 Continental Mark II, C56A1881, Naiad Green. It was originally owned by Arthur Vinings Davis, President of ALCOA. It is a very nice car and I am proud to be the new owner.

I also own a beautiful Aqua Turquoise 1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible and an original 1972 Continental Mark II.

Anita and I have 2 children, one in college and one in high school.

We live in Cumming, Georgia, a northern suburb of Atlanta.

I am a Superior Court Judge and my wife is a preschool director.

Jeff Bagley

Shelly Harris
09-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Welcome Jeff... it's nice to have a fellow jurist on the forum. Is that a trial court of general jurisdiction in Georgia ? In Cook County, IL (Chicago) I preside in civil law jury cases initially filed for $50K or over.

Please post up some pictures of your cars, especially the Mark II?

JeffBagley
09-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Hello Shelly,

It is nice to know that I am not the only judge who is also a Lincoln and Continental buff. Yes, I am a general jurisdiction trial court, and in Georgia we do it all, felony criminal, civil and domestic relations, so there are few dull moments. I am on the board of the National Association of Drug Court Professionals and probably sit with some of your colleagues from Illinois. At the next meeting I will find out. However, they would probably preside over criminal cases. Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will get some good pics this weekend and post.

Jeff Bagley

Don Keller
09-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Welcome Your Honor. As I am sitting here with my hands still smelling of gasoline after working on my car and having repeatedly scrubbed and scoured my hands, I have a question for you two judges...When you have the attorneys approach the bench, do they start looking for the gasoline??? (:-)

Don Keller

Kevin Garrison
09-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Judge Bagley, welcome to the forum. I trust that you will, as have I, find that it is an excellent and informative source of information on the Mark II. There are quite a few really knowledgable owners always willing to share their expertise.

Ironically, I am a law clerk in the Hall County State Court to Judge Baldwin. After graduating law school last year, I had a strong desire to purchase a classic car and the Mark II was high on the list. I was able to find a nice one near San Diego and made the purchase. It has provided no shortage of enjoyment thus far. That said, nothing has gone wrong - yet.

Perhaps we'll get the opportunity to meet up sometime. I'd love to see your Mark II as well as your '61 Continental. I've been polishing up my Mark II all week with plans to take it to Madison this weekend for a show.

Shelly Harris
09-15-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a question for you two judges...When you have the attorneys approach the bench, do they start looking for the gasoline??? (:-)

Don Keller

Don: I know you're joking, but you have brought up a real problem that I have to deal with especially on some Monday mornings. From my past posts you probably are aware that I don't hesitate to get my hands dirty tearing into the engine, dumping oil, etc. On week ends my hands are as dirty as any mechanics hands during the work week. I have a large box of latex gloves which I often forget to use. I regularly use "GOOP' hand cleaner but as hard as I might try there are Monday mornings on the bench when I look down at my hands, finger nails, etc and the dirty remnants are pretty obvious. It's something that isn't easy to hide being prominently elevated up front with direct lighting on me and lawyers often walk right up to the edge of the bench where they have no trouble seeing. I'm certain that lawyers have seen it and must really wonder about it. There have been weeks when it takes till Weds for my hands to get presentable.

Barry Wolk
09-16-2010, 07:14 AM
There's a simple solution that I use all the time to get rid of perma-crud when I need to. Simply turn the palm portion of the latex gloves inside out so that you can get to the fingers. Put a glop of hand cleaner in each finger hole and put the gloves on for about a half hour. Your hands will come out squeaky clean.

You may need some hillbilly toilet paper to clean your nails, though.:D

Don Keller
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Good suggestion Barry. I thought you probably just held your arms up in the air and let the air freshen them as you cruised. Thanks and I hope no one takes my kidding seriously. Life's too short not to try and see some humor in it. I have acquired a great deal of respect for you, Shelly, the Mad Scientist, Nick and all the others. I am really impressed by the amazing knowledge and generosity shown in sharing. Just let me know if I post too often. I plan to get some Gunk and try to clean some of the crud out from the underneath of my Mark II. Maybe it will clean my hands at the same time. (;-)

Don
C56R3838

JeffBagley
09-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello Kevin.

My , isn't it a small world! You have definitely chosen the right classic car. Maybe we can get together and see each other's cars. Are you aware of the auction to be held in hall County of the Milt Robson collection in November ? If you go maybe i will see you there.

I do not know your Judge, but I do know all the Superior Court Judges in Hall very well.

Doc
09-16-2010, 07:36 PM
At the risk of crashing what is becoming our judicial thread, my I add my welcome to Jeff.

I'm also curious if Kevin's car is the one that was previously owned by John Pawoll, who was a Forum member living in northern San Diego until he recently sold his car?

Kevin Garrison
09-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Judge Bagley: I will be at Milt Robson's auction in November. I've had the fortune to tour his collection a couple of times. So impressive. There are three cars in his collection - the '57 Eldorado Brougham, the '57 Thunderbird, and the '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk - that I have my eyes on. Unfortunately, given the budget of a law clerk, I am afraid all are well outside my budget. Nonetheless, hope to see you at the auction if not before.

Pete: My car is, in fact, the one formerly owned by John Pawoll. I purchased it from him in April of this year and could not be any more pleased. He was great to deal with and had pampered the car. If you know anything more about my car, please pass your knowledge of it along. Thanks, KBG.

Doc
09-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Kevin - My wife and I met John, with his car, at a show in La Jolla a couple of years ago and then ran into him again at La Quinta last year where we were showing our car. As you say, it's a nice car--I'm happy to see it went to someone who appreciates it. When we first met him, John was telling another couple about the history of the car and we sort of listened in--didn't get all the details, but I recall he had quite a story about who had owed it previously. I'd encourage you to contact him directly for the details.

JeffBagley
09-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I have always been able to get the gasoline smell off before court, but then again it sounds like Shelly works on his vehicles a little more than I do. I can handle basics but I have a mechanic who gets into the really intricate stuff.

linmk2
09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Jeff, welcome. Glad to have you aboard your honor. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your car in the near future.

Chuck Lutz
09-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Jeff, Good to have you with us. I hope you'll find our illustrious group as entertaining as they are knowledgeable. We all share a passion for these cars and without this Forum the information would take years to ferret out.
Your car was previously listed in our Mark II Registry (although I didn't know Arthur Davis was from ALCOA). I've taken the liberty to update the car to your ownership. It will be posted to the "Documents" section on the next listing update.
Again, welcome and enjoy.

JeffBagley
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for updating the registry. I am proud to be the new owner of C56A1881, newly christened "Elizabeth" by my wife after the the original owner's wife's name.

Jeff

JeffBagley
09-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Here are the promise photos of C56A1881.

http://flic.kr/p/8CiQjH
http://flic.kr/p/8CmY33
http://flic.kr/p/8CmY33
http://flic.kr/p/8CmXyq

crystal59
09-19-2010, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=JeffBagley;11000]Here are the promise photos of C56A1881.

Terrific looking Mark II which will give your wife and yourself many years of enjoyment and sense of pride. Your mechanic will also be pleased, but well worth it. Gary

Barry Wolk
09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Actually, those wheels are fairly valuable to a Lincoln collector. You can post them for sale, if you wish, at thelincolnfoum.net

I believe those would fit the era of my '77 Town Car.

Don Keller
09-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Jeff,

Awesome, far out and cool...a car for the generations!

Don
C56R3838

Nick DeSpirito
09-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Welcome Jeff,

Nice looking car! The wheels you have on it are the same that are on my 1976 Continental Mark IV. I'm pretty sure they were available as an option on all Lincoln models of that era.

Barry Wolk
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
If you're going to run bias-ply I have a full set of wheels for you. If you're going to run radials do a search for "Wheels" and you'll find some wheels that are slightly different, offering better clearance of the upper ball joint.

JeffBagley
09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I think I am just going to run the aluminum wheels that are on the car and the radials. So far I have not seen an issue with clearance and have had at least 2 guys check it out. It appears to be too expensive to go stock and based on what I have read you almost have to go with bias ply or you will lose those expensive wheel covers. Thanks for the advice.

Barry Wolk
09-20-2010, 08:21 PM
You read the wrong article. Hubcaps do not come off with new wheels.

crystal59
09-20-2010, 08:36 PM
You read the wrong article. Hubcaps do not come off with new wheels.
I agree with Barry. I have the Mark II hubcaps on my radials and no problem but I asked my mechanic to bend the teeth etc. and whatever else to avoid such an occurance. I do not drive my car very far but no problems with the hubcaps. Also, a much better ride on radials. My experience is with a 57 thunderbird that seemed to wander and once I replaced with Coker radials, it is a much nicer ride. Gary

JeffBagley
09-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, that sounds encouraging, so I may consider looking into availability and pricing of stock wheelcovers. Thanks for the advice.

Pat Marshall
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Jeff:

I have uncovered some really interesting information on your car. The first owner Arthur Vining Davis CEO Alcoa bought the car for his secretary and care giver Miss Evelyn Davis.

The story is now in the Registry History for 1881:

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?p=18430&highlight=C56A1881#post18430

Greg Stock
01-16-2012, 07:38 PM
What a great story! It's not even my car and it still made for good reading. :) Thanks for posting it. Beautiful car!