PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer removal question

DavidBurke
08-19-2022, 08:02 AM
Getting ready to send off my speedometer to be rebuilt and having trouble getting out. I have the dash cluster unscrewed and tilted forward, the odometer cable nut removed from the dash and the 3 screws removed from the back of the speedometer. Speedometer is free but no matter how I turn it I won?t come out of the back of the cluster. It?s appears almost like the speedo face is larger than the hole I?m trying to pull it through, what am I doing wrong?

Barry Wolk
08-19-2022, 08:07 AM
I may be incorrect, but I think the whole cluster needs to be removed so the gauge comes out the front. Did you remove the cable that lets you reset the odometer?

DavidBurke
08-19-2022, 09:56 AM
Yep I do believe you are correct, and where did I ever get the idea old cars were going to be easy to work on ??? Lol

Barry Wolk
08-19-2022, 02:41 PM
Think of it as an opportunity to drop two wires to an under-dash switch that interrupts power to the clock, only. You can make a harness that plugs into the power and the clock wire plugs into the other wire. Use blue wire and no one will ever notice, but your car will start better.

Don Henschel
08-19-2022, 03:48 PM
And don't forget to disconnect the battery💥🤣