PDA

View Full Version : Weather Strip Replacement - Doors

Pat Marshall
07-10-2022, 06:09 AM
I need to replace the long weather strips on #1494. These are the long ones with the "V" shaped ends. I searched the Forum in hopes that someone had posted how to do this. It's either not there or I couldn't find it. I did find an unanswered old request from a Forum Member asking for the same information.

So, if anyone has replaced their door weather strips, I would greatly appreciate your "How To" expertise.

Barry Wolk
07-10-2022, 08:11 AM
I’ve seen people splice old ends onto new weatherstrip material.

Pat Marshall
07-11-2022, 05:49 AM
Thank you for your response, Barry. In the the case of 1494 the "V" end is deteriorated as is the weatherstrip through the bend at the lower rear of the door. The rest looks good. Splicing a new end may be the way to go. Replacing the weatherstrip on the forward part of the door looks problematic because there is such little clearance between the door and the trailing edge of the front fender.

Which adhesive do you recommend? 3-M?

Several people who have looked at this thread have done full restorations. I was hoping for a little more discussion.

Barry Wolk
07-11-2022, 09:00 AM
I alway use Superglue for the splices. The key is to get both sides of the splice as flat and smooth as possible. I use a 100-tooth carbide blade for the cuts. I put the seals in PVC tubing to hold it still while slicing it off.

If I could not find replacements for the ends I'd make my own. Even if your ends are in bad shape they would serve to make a mold for new rubber. Cast a plater mold from the original and fix flaws using the repaired casting to serve as the new positive. This is what Mark II enterprises did with many rubber parts until demand had him make product-specific molds.

Your best adviser here would be Roger Zimmerman as he has casting down to a T.

Egenolf
07-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Pat,

unfortunately, I am not yet so advanced in the restoration of 2503 that I could stick in the door weatherstrips :cool:,but I always use a special profile rubber adhesive.

In my experience, a new weatherstrip needs a long time to fit exactly. Until then the doors will be difficult to close.

Blacktophat
07-12-2022, 10:10 PM
Super glue does make a nice and seamless connection. I used black super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive by 3m. And yes right now my doors are a little hard to close. These products were recommended to my by my brother a professional body man.

07-12-2022, 10:54 PM
Has anybody ever found a generic weatherstrip that can be made to fit Mark II doors. If they need to be spliced together anyway, wouldn't you think that there are multiple weatherstrips out there that can be made to fit? It seems hard to believe that Ford used an exclusive rubber design just for the Continental doors. Metro Rubber claims that the lesser Lincolns and the Continental use the same door weather stripping. Does anybody know if this is true?

Alan Harris
C56B2119
C56D2744

Barry Wolk
07-13-2022, 03:34 AM
The weatherstripping is common, it’s the formed ends that are not made. They require Mark II-specific molds that are sufficiently different from other cars. They can be reproduced in one-off castings, but the results are often poor.

Pat Marshall
07-13-2022, 02:04 PM
While on the subject of door weatherstripping, has anyone found a replacement for this short piece above the hinges?

Graham Rollo
07-13-2022, 11:27 PM
Mark II enterprises has them

Pat Marshall
07-14-2022, 06:08 AM
Graham,

That was the first place I checked but I searched "weatherstrip". So I just now searched "rubber" and SHAZAAM! there they were - DOOR PLATEAU "DOG LEG" RUBBER SEALS $199.00 (eek!).

Like searching on the Forum, ya just gotta use the right word!

Thanks!

Barry Wolk
07-14-2022, 08:11 AM
From your post I wasn't sure what rubber you were asking for. Be cautious about what Jack sends you. I received a pair of seals recently that had sticky bed liner sprayed over the rubber to hide casting flaws.

Knickoliss Iv
07-14-2022, 10:34 PM
What is so hard to believe? The Mark II was a treasury of a car. They have always been misunderstood and under appreciated as if they are just "old lincolns." They were almost like a modern custom built carriage but built on a small assembly line. It was a completely different body style in all ways and respects to production Lincoln. Lincoln only served as a vendor of parts to the Continental Division for engine drive train and other parts. Like the washer bottle. I think Jack's price is ok if it is well made, I haven't seen one. It is a complex piece looking at my car.

Keith W Colonna
07-17-2022, 03:07 PM
I"ve bought the dog leg door plateau rubber reproductions from every supplier known. I bought a set of old stock reproductions made by the legendary reproduction fellow "Wilkins". I've bought them from MKII Enterprizes, LincolnOldParts store, and Dennis Carpenter Ford parts. ALL were as hard as tires which made door closing difficult to impossible. And, that's hard on the star wheel of the door catch. Now, that was several years ago. Kelly McClure at Lincoln Old Parts said they were casting some new editions out of softer rubber.
But rubber hardness of the reproductions has been my problem. I even took a dremel tool and carved out the inner fold so they would lay down further....not ideal.
Accurate repro's have a steel pad on the mating surface to the door plateau..which adds to the thickness/hardness problem.
Good Luck!

Blacktophat
07-21-2022, 10:02 PM
Steel rubber products does have them, it is the only part they have for the Continental

markiient
07-22-2022, 01:07 PM
From your post I wasn't sure what rubber you were asking for. Be cautious about what Jack sends you. I received a pair of seals recently that had sticky bed liner sprayed over the rubber to hide casting flaws.

Replacements sent. It was a flaw in the new tooling.
Mark II Enterprises