PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Wire

JohnC
06-19-2022, 06:55 AM
Good Morning all,

Can I get some advice on a replacement antenna wire? Anything compatible? Seems like mine is shredded where it connects to the antenna and I want to connect it before I reinstall the blower, the boot, the 4" hose etc. I already did the driver side and don't want to have to remove it all again just for the antenna wire?

Thanks all

Barry Wolk
06-19-2022, 08:25 AM
The way they are made is that the center conductor tab actually rides on the antenna mast. It is possible to remove the two screws that holds the assembly to the tube, dissect it and change the shielded cable.

JohnC
06-19-2022, 04:50 PM
Hi Barry, the antenna wire is already seperated from the antenna. From what I can see, there is a hole, with threads, in the antenna where the wire would pass through and held in with some kind of nut. The end of the wire is all chewed up also thats why i inquired about a replacement. As you know, working on this antenna is not fun.

Barry Wolk
06-19-2022, 06:11 PM
Pictures of what you have. With all the other odd work you’ve posted I have to see if what you have is original.

JohnC
06-19-2022, 06:51 PM
Pictures of what you have. With all the other odd work you’ve posted I have to see if what you have is original.

Haha...you are right about the odd work....and that is just the stuff I posted that I was not able to sort out myself..I'll take some photos and post them

Barry Wolk
06-19-2022, 07:29 PM
I knew your car was odd when a heater hose was hooked up to the vacuum chamber in the frame.

JohnC
06-21-2022, 04:45 PM
Hi, So I uploaded a 30 sec. video of the attenna filmed behind the blower motor inside the fender. You can see the wobble I was talking about in another post and I see no clamp or anything. Then I move up the antenna and you can see the connections. Can I remove the antenna from the fender without talking the fender off? It seems like I have pretty good access.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi1jiTaFHjA

Barry Wolk
06-21-2022, 06:17 PM
It's a bit of work to get it off but you don't have to. You risk scraping or breaking the paint but you can remove the rocker trim by removing about 6 nuts from the backside, Once the trim is out of the way you can loosen the top fender bolt that secures the fender to at the firewall and remove the bolts that hold the fender bottom and the two bolts inside the rear of the fender. Pulling the fender out about 5 inches will allow you to get the cylinder over the ledge it's on and slip it out the bottom. It's wobbly because its missing a hoop, I believe, that secures it to the fender, not the body. Do you have the cable that plugs into it? That's the scarce fitting.

JohnC
06-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Here are some pics of the antenna wire. Looks like there was some kind of boot on it but it's dry rotted away now. The antenna wobble issue is all sorted out, thanks for your advice it worked out great. The vac lines are hooked to the cylinder nice and tight but I have no idea if its operational. I still have to run all the lines from the vacuum pump. Had to order a new washer pump since the one in the car had the nipples to connect the hoses snapped off. Just another day at the garage :o 266292663026631

"Buy another old car." my freinds said. "it'll be fun!" they said.

Just a little running joke me and my buddies have woorking on old cars and bikes.

Barry Wolk
06-24-2022, 05:31 PM
To help you in your search, most everything vacuum-operated on the car was made by Trico. I'd be looking for manuals of technical info on the antenna connection.

JohnC
06-24-2022, 07:03 PM
To help you in your search, most everything vacuum-operated on the car was made by Trico. I'd be looking for manuals of technical info on the antenna connection.

Without the antenna cable connected, I should be able to install all the vac lines and test everything I'm assuming?

Barry Wolk
06-24-2022, 07:57 PM
Yes, there is a check valve in the bottom of the shuttle attached to the shaft.