PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Restoration Service Advice

Lee Craner
05-10-2022, 12:38 PM
It is time to have my steering wheel restored.

From what I have read here, there are at least two services available. One will repair the cracks and repaint the wheel. The other will remove all of the old plastic and recast the wheel. I am looking to your experiences. Who have you used and what are your impressions on the service provided? Any post restoration issues?

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Lee

Barry Wolk
05-10-2022, 12:59 PM
I’ve not had either done, but mine was crack-filled when it was restored and the cracks keep coming back. I would re-cast next time.

Roger Zimmermann
05-11-2022, 03:10 AM
Not for a Mark II, but I let recast a steering wheel. I had to modify it slightly for the horn ring; the material was easy to remove and could be polished. Still as new after 25 years.

Lee Craner
05-11-2022, 01:43 PM
Roger, who did your recast?

Barry, returning cracks is what I feared. Thanks for the insight.

Lee

Barry Wolk
05-11-2022, 04:12 PM
It's very frustrating as its one I can see and feel. It was great for about 3 years. I felt it before I saw it.

Roger Zimmermann
05-12-2022, 02:32 AM
Roger, who did your recast?

Lee
Yesterday, I got the same question from somebody else. Here is my answer:
I let the steering wheel from my '56 Biarritz to be restored by J.B. Donaldson in Phoenix, Arizona. The price in 1999 was $ 475.00 + shipping. I have no idea if that company still exist; there is a phone number on the invoice: 602 278 4505. There are other companies restoring steering wheels; Google can give some ideas.