PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump fitting

JohnC
05-09-2022, 04:54 AM
Hi

Reading a ton of posts on here about the vacuum system since I'm getting ready to install just about all of it. The only part of the vacuum system hooked up on the car is from the top of the manifold, nothing else. The tube from the manifold to the booster on my car just has a rubber hose on it with a bolt screwed into the end of the hose. The vacuum booster has no connections at all. I will order the complete vacuum hose and tee kit from MK II Enteprises. My question is, I can't find the sizes of the 2 connectors that screw into the top of the booster (the one that goes to the wiper and the one that goes to the manifold). Also is the tube from the manifold to the booster the same size as the fuel line? I'll need to purchase some steel tubing which seems easy enough to find.

Thanks all...have great week

Barry Wolk
05-09-2022, 05:52 AM
Please post pictures. The TV booster has no fittings on top. There is a check valve with two connections on the side. The device on top of the canister is a vent to allow for movement of the booster platform. The fuel line is bigger than the vacuum lines coming off the vacuum pump.

JohnC
05-09-2022, 06:40 AM
Please post pictures. The TV booster has no fittings on top. There is a check valve with two connections on the side. The device on top of the canister is a vent to allow for movement of the booster platform. The fuel line is bigger than the vacuum lines coming off the vacuum pump.

Probably using the wrong terminology, it's on the vac pump. the red arrows point to the fittings

Thanks Barry

Barry Wolk
05-09-2022, 06:53 AM
If I remember correctly there are no fittings, the vacuum lines just slip into holes in the pump. I'm headed to the shop this morning, I'll check. The fuel line has fittings.

Egenolf
05-09-2022, 07:44 AM
Hello,

Here is a picture out of the parts book:

https://up.picr.de/43573718vi.jpeg

Only the Mark II has indeed fittings on the vacuum pump.

JohnC
05-09-2022, 09:16 AM
Yes...the lincoln only had the slip on type I see....I can't find the size of those fittings anywhere. It seems like something I can pick up anywhere, nothing special about them I think

Thanks

Barry Wolk
05-09-2022, 09:31 AM
The ‘57 motor I’m working on and the ‘57 motor in my car both have pumps with no fittings. Could there have been another running change?

JohnC
05-09-2022, 12:31 PM
The ‘57 motor I’m working on and the ‘57 motor in my car both have pumps with no fittings. Could there have been another running change?

I kind of think that it's threaded...I tried to fit a thread checker in it to see if it would thread at all...it did somewhat but it was an SAE thread and I think I needed a pipe thread

JohnC
05-11-2022, 08:17 PM
So after further inspection it seems like it is a slip in type fuel pump (as Barry said). Here are some photos.

26353 26354 26355

So, new questions now.

1. Is it a brass fitting (small pipe) just slipped or tapped into the openings on the pump, then a small piece of hose and then metal tube to the mainfold and wind shield washer bottle? What size small tube is that? Nothing holds it in
place?
2. I see it says out and in on top of the pump. Is 'IN' from the manifold? and 'OUT' to the washer bottle?
3. Can this be done with the pump attached to the motor or does it need to be done on a bench.

Thanks all

Barry Wolk
05-11-2022, 09:58 PM
They just slip in. They are held with vacuum.

Barry Wolk
05-13-2022, 05:09 AM
And, yes, the out goes to the T that branches to the washer bottle.