PDA

View Full Version : Seat Foam Deterioration Solution.

Pat Marshall
03-27-2022, 11:00 AM
I recently acquired this rear seat back. The leather is in great supple condition. However, from the pictures you can see that the underlying foam has crushed or deteriorated.
25737 25738
It will be easy enough to remove the staples and loosen the leather to access the foam.

As with many Mark II things I?m guessing there is no pre-shaped foam available. So, I?m wondering if anyone has dealt with or resolved this issue? I?m hoping that someone has come up with a relatively easy solution (or even a hard one!).

Barry Wolk
03-28-2022, 03:20 AM
I have photos of mine made up from different density foam blocks glued together and carved to fit. I’ll see if I can find them.

Barry Wolk
03-28-2022, 07:37 AM
This pretty much shows the technique. Make sure to make space for the steel hoop that forms the biscuit depression.

Pat Marshall
03-28-2022, 01:37 PM
Barry, did you shape the foam yourself? I've looked at a couple videos. The gluing the foam together looks pretty easy. I was wondering about the actual shaping? It looks pretty easy to do a do-over if you mess it up. The guys in the videos did the shaping with something that looks like an electric carving knife.

Barry Wolk
03-30-2022, 07:26 AM
Yes, a carving knife and a rotary rasp. Very messy, but no other way. My interior was done by a pro.