PDA

View Full Version : Our car gets no respect by the collector community-- why is that????

Shelly Harris
01-09-2022, 12:36 PM
I'm now settled in Palm Springs, CA (actually Rancho Mirage) for my annual two months hibernation from the Chicago weather. This is the mecca of luxury car appreciation. RRs, Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati's...all the rest all over the streets being driven. Old, new and rare... no matter... they are everywhere.... and no where to be seen ----> 56-57 Continental Mark II. At weekly events, cars in the region gathered at events to be admired and shone off by proud owners ... on very rare occasion I'll see one of ours.

Contrarily what is baffling to me is the appreciation and attention my car gets when I'm out for a drive. No drive goes by without a motorist's horn toot or window roll down shouting out "beautifull car" or "what car is that'..

What's wrong about our car...what has caused this????

Jeff Smith
01-09-2022, 01:11 PM
You should ship or drive yours out there and start a following...Lol. I think that there are so few Marks actually being driven that people forget about them. And also, most have never seen one. I drove mine from Kansas City to Fort Myers in the spring of 2021 and took two lane roads whenever possible through Missouri Tennessee Mississippi Alabama and then West coast of Florida. Mine is rather bland, because it is white with tan interior but it got lots of comments and thumbs up. Several people at least my age (60's) in the small towns had never seen one. Several years ago I sold a pristine light blue 65 Lincoln sedan to someone in Palm Springs. Perhaps you will see it at a cruise in.

Barry Wolk
01-09-2022, 03:45 PM
They had little interest when they were new, as evidenced by the low production number. They were targeted at wealthy Americans, the movers and shakers, the One-Percenters of the period. People like cars from their youth. I think Im one of the few of us that actually saw one of these when I was a kid, and I lived in Detroit.

We love them for their looks while 99% prefer me-too classics of the period with more flash and dazzle than the Mark II. The Mark II is an intentional anachronism, as evidenced by the fact that the hump was never supposed to be on the car. The winning design didn't have it. It was added to the final design, not by designers, but by Ford anachronisms on the BOD.

Ownership is hurt by fear, fear that the car is so complicated that no one wants to work on them (proving true), fear that a proper interior using full skins will be $30,000, and fear of the fact that a Mark II uses 150 pound of chromium. Fear that parts are expensive (they've never owned a Porsche, Harley or airplane.) Fear of rust, well, that one's real. Fear that there are no parts, when we have a great parts supply line.

The problem is the public's perception of the Mark II is based on hype. Not Ford hype, but the press hype of the period. There was a very thin line of distinction between Continental and Lincoln when the '58 Continental was just a trim bin Lincoln, leaving 90% of the population totally confused.

I think maybe you're asking why people don't daily drive them, like you do. Is that correct?

Barry Wolk
01-10-2022, 08:05 AM
As far as getting respect, just ask Rick Schmidt how many Concours we've been in together where he takes Best Closed and we get Best Open. Rick and I regularly take class, if not special honors in most shows. Our car has been in over 40 Concours and has taken a ribbon or trophy in nearly every show. Rick's cars have been in shows all over the country. You're just seeing a microcosm of today's Uber-wealthy. Not necessarily car collectors.

Roger Zimmermann
01-10-2022, 10:02 AM
I'm now settled in Palm Springs, CA (actually Rancho Mirage) for my annual two months hibernation from the Chicago weather.

That's interesting...About 1985, Christine and me went to a man called Duncan Emmons located in Rancho Mirage. He had at that time about 7 or 8 Eldorado Brougham cars is various shapes as he sold parts. I had his address but, as I sold my Brougham, the whole file of correspondence and invoices went with the car to the new owner.
I'm wondering if that man (and his wife) are still alive...

Addition to post by Pat Marshall - Duncan Emmons passed in 2005.

Jack Bowser
01-10-2022, 10:51 AM
I always get waves and toots when ever I have mine out.

I had a lady ask me how much it is worth at a gas station recently and I told her I just filled my gas tank and doubled it's value. Ha!

I wish I could have taken a picture of the look on her face.

Shelly I hope you will consider bringing yours to the Geneva Concours this year.

I have been asked to bring mine and to find more Lincoln and Continental cars because Continentals including the Mark II's are going to be featured this year.

The Geneva Concours is respected as one of the premier Car shows in the country now.

Please contsact me so I can get you an invitation to show your car.

Shelly Harris
01-12-2022, 12:03 PM
Jack>>> I'll know around April 1 if the car and I are in condition for the event. I'd like to do it.