PDA

View Full Version : New Member Sparta, New Jersey

Dave Kraus
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Hello Forum Members. I hope I'm doing this right. If not, someone please let me know. I recently purchased a 57 Mark and found your Forum cite. Great idea for Mark II owners. I'll be seeking some advice soon. I also own a 1946 Nash Suburban and a 1947 Chrysler Town & Country convertible. The purchase of the Mark fulfilled a desire for many years. Probably a familiar story you have heard many times. The Mark was restored several years ago and remained in a collection until recently. (I think I'm going to need a water pump). The messages I have seen are quite interesting and informative. I look forward to our communications.

Regards, Dave Kraus

C56R3828

PS to Barry, I saw your recent messages. I hope all is well with your wife.

linmk2
08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome Dave. Glad you joined us. You have some interesting other cars in your stable. I bet your new Mark will find itself right at home.

SLK
08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome Dave,

What makes you think you need a water pump?

Barry Wolk
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
How kind, Dave. I'm about to post an update. Quite a little community we have here.

Welcome to the site.

Nick DeSpirito
09-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Hey Dave,

I'm close to you. I live in Wayne right off of 23. If you ever need help, just let me know. I had my water pump replaced 2 years ago. I got it from Kanter in Boonton. They had it on the shelf and I drove over there and picked it up. They are located right off 287. I knew I needed one when I saw little beads of black liquid peppering my inner fender wells. I'd clean them off, and they'd be back again. I then realized that it was coming out from the shaft. The packing wears out in time and they start leaking coolant through the shaft.

Good luck with your Mark. Do you have any history on it you can share with us?

Dave Kraus
09-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Had an overheating situation. Radiator cap was bad, changed it along with the thermostat, overflow tube clear. Still had a problem. Fan blades were scorching hot. Can't think of anything else besides the pump. I've purchased from Kantor before. I don't know much about the Mark other than it was restored in Florida. Dave

Barry Wolk
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Take the belt off and feel the resistance of the water pump. If there's any, replace it.

Don Keller
09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Dave,

Welcome. These guys and gals are VERY helpful and knowledgeable. Your car and mine are probably old friends as mine is C56R3838 (they could probably see each other on the assembly line); also a '57; and also most recently from Florida. Mine was originally black, but painted gray. I've noticed in my short tenure on the Forum that there may be some fussing, but it seems to be good natured...I guess that comes with being good helpful people.

Your friend.
Don

Don

Doc
09-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Dave - Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll find it a source of great information, as I have. Regarding your water pump; a leak is obviously a sign of a problem, but many of us have found that a fan smacking into the radiator is another common warning sign of a problem--better to be proactive. However, the hot fan blades might also simply indicate that the belt is slipping and the friction is heating the static fan. Good luck.

Dave Kraus
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Gents: Well, with the belts loose, the water pump spins freely. Could the impeller be bad? Must have been the bad cap. But what would make the fan blades so hot?
Dave

Barry Wolk
09-04-2010, 04:23 PM
If the engine is running hot the fan blades suck all that hot air from the radiator past them. That's the only thing I can think of.

I would run the car to let it warm up and remove the fan belt again. If it stiffens up you've got a bad bearing in the pump that frees up when it cools down.

linc64
09-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Hi Dave,

I found this ad for your car in the October 1991 issue of the Continental Bulletin:

1957 Mark II, total restoration of rust-free GA. car C56R3828 with A/C. New Cobalt Blue paint, new lt. blue leather int. w/rare nylon seat biscuits. New reblt. eng., trans., exhaust, chrome, tires-the works, $29,500 Jack at ----GA.

Dan
10-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Welcome aboard!
After rebuilding the heads on my engine, we were hearing a ticking/pinging sound. The car was also overheating; we suspected the water pump.
after replacing pump, thermostat and cap, the engine was still running pretty hot while driving in 80 degree weather in the city, but not overheating. No problems on the highway or when the weather drops into the 70s or lower.
We ended up installing a parade fan which has helped quite a bit.
Since my engine is now firing on all 8 cylinders, combined with the fact that ethanol burns hotter than gasoline, and no cowel or channeling of air through the radiator, especially with the transmission's cooler in front of the radiator. These cars just weren't built for stop-and-go traffic.
And now Washington DC has been designated as the city with the worst traffic. :mad:
Good luck with your new ride!

Shelly Harris
10-01-2011, 10:39 AM
With my Mark IV I learned that its overheating was due to my having advanced the timing too much. I set the timing with a vacuum gauge for max vacuum. The car had great acceleration and excellent mileage..... but with a/c on it overheated. Also once hot the starter had trouble cranking. Turns out that the extreme advanced timing was causing ignition so early that the engine couldn't crank and once running it ran hot. I backed off the timing and got the fix.

Barry Wolk
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I've done the same. You should never go for maximum vacuum, just enough so the car doesn't ping and hard restart.